Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

another rubbish story on the argus website all i ever see on there is about poyet

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I'm sorry but the start of this season has NOTHING to do with Gus. Pontificate about the rights and wrongs and it doesn't matter now, but the way the situation was handled is everything to do with club.

I think it did as all the crap from the Summer etc left us weeks behind everyone else. No manager til late in the Summer and no players for a large part of it. I think we've only just about caught up now. A change of manager disrupts a lot - I said at the time we re weeks behind others and afraid was proved right. Not saying it was Gus fault etc atall btw as nobody knows this...

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes

I think it did as all the crap from the Summer etc left us weeks behind everyone else. No manager til late in the Summer and no players for a large part of it. I think we've only just about caught up now. A change of manager disrupts a lot - I said at the time we re weeks behind others and afraid was proved right. Not saying it was Gus fault etc atall btw as nobody knows this...

I agree with what you are saying, the other poster was saying that the start to our season is Gus' fault exclusively, and of course that's not right.

I have also said that we would pay for the summer debacle, and we are.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I agree with what you are saying, the other poster was saying that the start to our season is Gus' fault exclusively, and of course that's not right.

Got ya mate. Again, nobody knows what happened so can't blame certain people...

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

Where the hell did I say that? Read it again-you even quoted what I said: "A major negative impact on the start of this season". How does that equate to "Poyet's fault exclusively"? Read it again-this time take your Gus Goggles off. Poyet was fired for Gross Misconduct and the club handled his termination in line with UK employment laws-a first for a football club as far as I'm aware. Please explain how you think the club should have handled the situation? Give Poyet the balance of his contract despite being fired for gross misconduct because it's only £2.5 Million we're talking about. You are also aware of the time frames for how things were handled aren't you? Poyet's appeals dragging things out until well into preparations for this season? And that wouldn't affect the start of our season? I guess through Gus's Gang Goggles he's blameless in all this.

I don't know what Poyet did to get himself fired, I'm not In The Know like Gus's Gang appear to be. All I know is that we're still paying the price for Poyet's final couple of months in charge and it pisses me off to the point that, for me, it over-shadows his achievements.

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
Where the hell did I say that? Read it again-you even quoted what I said: "A major negative impact on the start of this season". How does that equate to "Poyet's fault exclusively"? Read it again-this time take your Gus Goggles off. Poyet was fired for Gross Misconduct and the club handled his termination in line with UK employment laws-a first for a football club as far as I'm aware. Please explain how you think the club should have handled the situation? Give Poyet the balance of his contract despite being fired for gross misconduct because it's only £2.5 Million we're talking about. You are also aware of the time frames for how things were handled aren't you? Poyet's appeals dragging things out until well into preparations for this season? And that wouldn't affect the start of our season? I guess through Gus's Gang Goggles he's blameless in all this.

I don't know what Poyet did to get himself fired, I'm not In The Know like Gus's Gang appear to be. All I know is that we're still paying the price for Poyet's final couple of months in charge and it pisses me off to the point that, for me, it over-shadows his achievements.

Yes ok point taken, exclusively isn't right - but neither is major negative impact. It's nothing to do with Gus, he didn't choose this turn of events or the way it was reached. As you say, nobody knows what happened, so to blame him in any way for the start,of this season is incorrect.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley

You ask the question, "Please explain how you think the club should have handled the situation?", without addressing the obvious corollary to that question, "How do you think GP should have handled the situation?" - Accept the sacking was justified and lay himself open to a claim by the club for compensation over the balance of his contract?

The club took 5 weeks to sack GP and the appeal against that sacking took about 4 weeks - comparable periods of time - so to lay blame for the disruption to the start of this season on GP's decision to appeal against his dismissal is really not justified.

It's a shame really that the split between the club and its manager couldn't have been dealt with in an adult manner by negotiation rather than by an adversarial procedure.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
You ask the question, "Please explain how you think the club should have handled the situation?", without addressing the obvious corollary to that question, "How do you think GP should have handled the situation?" - Accept the sacking was justified and lay himself open to a claim by the club for compensation over the balance of his contract?

The club took 5 weeks to sack GP and the appeal against that sacking took about 4 weeks - comparable periods of time - so to lay blame for the disruption to the start of this season on GP's decision to appeal against his dismissal is really not justified.

It's a shame really that the split between the club and its manager couldn't have been dealt with in an adult manner by negotiation rather than by an adversarial procedure.

How does that work then? Club fires employee and claims balance of contract? Surely they'd only be looking for compensation if the employee quit mid-contract? I've not seen one mention of the club looking for the balance of Poyet's contract-have you?

As for the sacking taking 5 weeks-the club, as already mentioned, treated him (a manager) like any other employee (unheard of at football clubs until now)-therefore correct actions had to be taken during the process which took time. Failure to follow correct procedures could have (and may still) cost The Albion upwards of £2.5 Million to rid themselves of a manager who didn't want to stay at the club. Poyet had the opportunity to lodge his appeals sooner but appears to have waited until the last minute before doing so.

Like I've said already, I'm not privy to what went on between Poyet and The Albion so can only form opinions based on what is common knowledge. How about you?

I've had enough of this Poyet saga now. You carry on defending Poyet but I'm outta here. The Albion is much more important to me than Poyet.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Somebody said he wasn't sacked live on TV. Somebody else then replied saying he was. You then asked if they had their Sunderland season ticket. So, you are insinuating Gus wasn't sacked on TV and are backing up the club.

You dislike Poyet for what reasons exactly? Yes, sorry I forgot, he screwed up last season by finishing 4th and 1 win against Hull from being promoted automatically. I can't ever dislike Poyet for giving me my best season as a Brighton fan. Dagenham at home will live with me forever.

And that's right, please carry on supporting the Albion. I will too. But I'm not in a position to back the club up, in the live TV instance, when the evidence is against them.

But he wasn't sacked on live TV. That would involve someone from the club communicating with him (by phone, text, email, whatever), while the cameras rolled. This is clearly not what happened. If we are to take Poyet's comments and view that he only got told by a researcher while in the studio, he still didn't get "sacked live on air".

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
How does that work then? Club fires employee and claims balance of contract? Surely they'd only be looking for compensation if the employee quit mid-contract? I've not seen one mention of the club looking for the balance of Poyet's contract-have you?

As for the sacking taking 5 weeks-the club, as already mentioned, treated him (a manager) like any other employee (unheard of at football clubs until now)-therefore correct actions had to be taken during the process which took time. Failure to follow correct procedures could have (and may still) cost The Albion upwards of £2.5 Million to rid themselves of a manager who didn't want to stay at the club. Poyet had the opportunity to lodge his appeals sooner but appears to have waited until the last minute before doing so.

Like I've said already, I'm not privy to what went on between Poyet and The Albion so can only form opinions based on what is common knowledge. How about you?

I've had enough of this Poyet saga now. You carry on defending Poyet but I'm outta here. The Albion is much more important to me than Poyet.

The Albion is more important than any one person, which is why we SHOULD keep on questioning the club on the way it conducts itself, and processes the management team follow. Just because they have publicly said they followed a process doesn't mean they didn't screw it up somewhere along the line.

And for the record, NONE of this is about defending Poyet, as you say he's gone now and we've moved on. But you say we spent 5 weeks getting rid of a manager who didn't want to be here anymore. You only know that from one side of the story, and yet you also say you can't judge because nobody knows what went on? Which is it?

But yes Poyet saga can bore-off, what's left is a club that IMO is worse off for it.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
The mistake was the £2.5m mutual compensation clause which was agreed when there was a mutual love-in and did not envisage the way events unfolded.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley

How does it work? - in the same way as if GP had been fired for no reason the club would have been in breach of contract and, as you pointed out, been liable to pay the appropriate compensation - If GP had accepted the charge of 'gross misconduct' and had just 'walked' then the club would have had a de facto case of breach of contract and consequently a claim for compensation against him or any future employer - as it is now it would take a court case to decide first if a breach of contract had been made by either side before the question of any compensation could be considered - an unlikely scenario by all accounts.

As for the timing of GP's appeal from what I read in the press his intention to appeal was made clear immediately the decision to sack him was made. Like you I can only form opinions from what is common knowledge - for example that it seemed to take an inordinately long time for the club to sack GP and a similar period for him to appeal.

How much better if GP and TB could have sat down like two adults and come to a compromise decision allowing the contract to be dissolved and for the hand over to a new manager to have been made thoroughly and promptly.

It's not a question of defending GP, nor the club for that matter - it also isn't a question of laying the blame for all the current ills at the feet of one person. I think that is where the difference in our approaches lies.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Players were signed in June by Burke, and Oscar started at the beginning of July as players came back from their holidays, so I don't see that the club lost much of the pre-season.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
If you get sacked by text when are you actually sacked? When it is sent or when it is read, how do you prove when it was read? Living in Wales sometimes texts come through days later!

Urchin

Aug 1, 2011
But he wasn't sacked on live TV. That would involve someone from the club communicating with him (by phone, text, email, whatever), while the cameras rolled. This is clearly not what happened. If we are to take Poyet's comments and view that he only got told by a researcher while in the studio, he still didn't get "sacked live on air".

Look at it whatever way you want. He was on a live TV program during the first half of football when he was handed the club statement by the producers. To me, that's being sacked live on TV.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here