Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Another mass shooting across the pond

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
As noted on many occasions, people get the government (and the laws) they deserve.

Which is why the British population have been ruled over by the wealthy nobility for thousands of years.

A history of serfdom.

The difference was the American citizens fought back against that system and ruling class and won. Which is why they have a gun culture today. Their nation was forged by the citizens being armed against their overlords.

That's why it's so hard to achieve change even in 2019. The constitution still holds a lot of power.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Given up arguing with Americans about gun reform - as my grey haired old granny used to say 'they wont change as long as they have holes in their arses"

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Which is why the British population have been ruled over by the wealthy nobility for thousands of years.

A history of serfdom.

The difference was the American citizens fought back against that system and ruling class and won. Which is why they have a gun culture today. Their nation was forged by the citizens being armed against their overlords.

That's why it's so hard to achieve change even in 2019. The constitution still holds a lot of power.

The US is the most jingoistic nation on earth. The words of the Star Bangled Banner sum it up for me - I learned the words because I had to listen to it at every hockey, baseball, football and basketball game I went to ( I had a Rangers season ticket as MSG). They’ve never moved on, which is what embodies their gun culture.

This also drives their view they are superior to every other nation. When I lived in the US I was struck by how hopeless it was trying to argue with any American that other countries in the world may just do something better than them. This covered such things as guns, healthcare, public transport, going on holiday abroad and a million other things.

Because of their culture, they simply cannot and will not see what they are doing wrong....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
The US is the most jingoistic nation on earth. The words of the Star Bangled Banner sum it up for me - I learned the words because I had to listen to it at every hockey, baseball, football and basketball game I went to ( I had a Rangers season ticket as MSG). They’ve never moved on, which is what embodies their gun culture.

This also drives their view they are superior to every other nation. When I lived in the US I was struck by how hopeless it was trying to argue with any American that other countries in the world may just do something better than them. This covered such things as guns, healthcare, public transport, going on holiday abroad and a million other things.

Because of their culture, they simply cannot and will not see what they are doing wrong....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What makes them great also makes them flawed.

How would they view a Brit who sings a National Anthem that is basically an arse kissing song to the nobility class that has ruled over them for thousands of years and dictated so much of those nations history?

How could they comprehend your view when the history behind it is so vastly different. Just as how could you comprehend theirs.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
What makes them great also makes them flawed.

How would they view a Brit who sings a National Anthem that is basically an arse kissing song to the nobility class that has ruled over them for thousands of years and dictated so much of those nations history?

How could they comprehend your view when the history behind it is so vastly different. Just as how could you comprehend theirs.

In my experience the US as a nation love the Brits. They almost have an inferiority complex sometimes.

And I would have thought pure common sense would go some way to understanding why an obsession with guns is not a good idea. I don’t comprehend that at all.

I remember watching the news about a toddler who was shot by police in a park in Pittsburgh. He was playing with a toy gun and police thought it was real. The matter of fact way this was reported really brought it home to me how utterly ridiculous US gun laws are. That would never ever have happened in any other developed nation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
In my experience the US as a nation love the Brits. They almost have an inferiority complex sometimes.

And I would have thought pure common sense would go some way to understanding why an obsession with guns is not a good idea. I don’t comprehend that at all.

Naturally it would be hard for you to understand because your history doesn't have one where your environment required one.

I grew up with guns because for a rural family it put food in the freezer and secondly it was a way to eradicate feral animals. Added they are great fun to use at ranges.

The American experience is magnified even more so because of their frontier history.

Compare an American's ancestors to yours. What animals or natives did they need a gun to defend themselves or feed themselves with? No Bears or Mountain Lions in Sussex is there?

I remember watching the news about a toddler who was shot by police in a park in Pittsburgh. He was playing with a toy gun and police thought it was real. The matter of fact way this was reported really brought it home to me how utterly ridiculous US gun laws are. That would never ever have happened in any other developed nation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I remember a similar story but he wasn't a toddler, he was a 12 year old/ Same story?

I think that's the key. Its how media frames stories.

A 20 year old Down Syndrome man who has a toy gun was shot dead in Sweden. That story probably didn't make it to the same news outlets as the American story did.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Naturally it would be hard for you to understand because your history doesn't have one where your environment required one.

I grew up with guns because for a rural family it put food in the freezer and secondly it was a way to eradicate feral animals. Added they are great fun to use at ranges.

The American experience is magnified even more so because of their frontier history.

Compare an American's ancestors to yours. What animals or natives did they need a gun to defend themselves or feed themselves with? No Bears or Mountain Lions in Sussex is there?

I remember a similar story but he wasn't a toddler, he was a 12 year old/ Same story?

I think that's the key. Its how media frames stories.

A 20 year old Down Syndrome man who has a toy gun was shot dead in Sweden. That story probably didn't make it to the same news outlets as the American story did.

Because it is a completely different scenario. And if you want to make a point out whether its a toddler or not its up to you.....

Its not how the media frames stories. Its about a nation who thinks it ok to carry guns which shoot people dead.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
And if his name was Christopher, it would be the Chris' mass Mass. mass masked shooting.
And if it happened at Christmas it would be Chris' mass Christmas mass Mass. masked shooting.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here