Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Another Leeds Utd Thread....And not a piss taking one either

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
I do think the time has come they should stop blaming Risdale. They have sold off a load of players and reduced the wage bill hugely.

We are still suffering from the mid 90s, namely still having no ground.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Yorkie said:
I don't know what anybody else read but I saw and heard 'healthy playing budget'

I think people hear what they want to hear.
:rolleyes:
Yes I heard that as well but it raises two points:

Firstly, where is it coming from? On the current accounts making the playing budget 'healthy' will mean making something else 'extremely unhealthy' - unless there is some hitherto undisclosed source of funds which we're not aware of (possible of course).

Secondly, define 'healthy'. There are quite a few on here who think that means we can now bid £500k for players. The point rool was making was that perhaps DK could have put it a bit better, something along the lines of: "Look we're really strapped for cash, but we'll try and cobble something together for Dean." Then if we DO end up signing Kaka from AC Milan everybody will be pleasantly surprised. It's better to over-deliver on people's expectations rather than bandy words like 'healthy' around that will almost inevitably result in disappointment.

Here endeth the politics lesson.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Brovian said:
Then if we DO end up signing Kaka from AC Milan everybody will be pleasantly surprised.

Have you heard a rumour, then?

I'll be pissed off if that does happen, seeing as it will mean we've FAILED to get either Ronaldinho or Cristiano Ronaldo.

Knight OUT!!!

:angry: :angry: :angry:

;)

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Brovian said:
Yes I heard that as well but it raises two points:

Firstly, where is it coming from? On the current accounts making the playing budget 'healthy' will mean making something else 'extremely unhealthy' - unless there is some hitherto undisclosed source of funds which we're not aware of (possible of course).

Secondly, define 'healthy'. There are quite a few on here who think that means we can now bid £500k for players. The point rool was making was that perhaps DK could have put it a bit better, something along the lines of: "Look we're really strapped for cash, but we'll try and cobble something together for Dean." Then if we DO end up signing Kaka from AC Milan everybody will be pleasantly surprised. It's better to over-deliver on people's expectations rather than bandy words like 'healthy' around that will almost inevitably result in disappointment.

Here endeth the politics lesson.

What it doesn't mean is transfer budget. Playing budget refers to wages, which I heard a director was underwriting this last season.

Ozymandias

Jan 31, 2007
e77 said:
I do think the time has come they should stop blaming Risdale. They have sold off a load of players and reduced the wage bill hugely.

We are still suffering from the mid 90s, namely still having no ground.

Risdale IS to blame, he was the chairman and the buck stops with him. His duty is to run the company/club in a sensible and business like fashion, not bury his head in the sand or bow to pressure from the manager or otther directors. He didn't and Leeds will (like us) suffer the consequences for years to come. They don't own the ground - it leased, they still have massive debts even after all the decent players were sold.

For Risdale to say otherwise is quite frankly appalling, and why he is still allowed to be involved witha football club is beyond me. Look at Cardiff, last year they were a gnats cock from administration, somehow they managed to get out of it. No, the man is incompetant and should be banned from being a director of a footy club.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Yorkie said:
What it doesn't mean is transfer budget. Playing budget refers to wages, which I heard a director was underwriting this last season.
Yes, but I think you're being a bit pedantic. Whether it's money spent on wages or on fees (to agents as well) people are now going to think that this side of the club is 'healthy' and set their expectations accordingly. For example I've got my heart set on Kaka now, especially after last night.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Ozymandias said:
Risdale IS to blame, he was the chairman and the buck stops with him. His duty is to run the company/club in a sensible and business like fashion, not bury his head in the sand or bow to pressure from the manager or otther directors. He didn't and Leeds will (like us) suffer the consequences for years to come. They don't own the ground - it leased, they still have massive debts even after all the decent players were sold.

For Risdale to say otherwise is quite frankly appalling, and why he is still allowed to be involved witha football club is beyond me. Look at Cardiff, last year they were a gnats cock from administration, somehow they managed to get out of it. No, the man is incompetant and should be banned from being a director of a footy club.

I agree that Risdale shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a football club (although he wasn't the only person on the board at the time but on the outside looking in Leeds should be a competitive Championship club.

Gerbil

Nsc's most loved
Jul 6, 2003
Stalking Hayley
pasty said:
So for the moment, lets all just forget and put to one side how funny most of us find it (I have personal reasons for wanting them to go down) ......... but

Just how can a club go from Champions League Semi-finalists to being relegated to Division 3 in 6 years? Is it all still Peter Ridsdales fault? Mismanagement? Financial buffonery? Wrong managerial appointments? Or are they just crap? I would genuinely love to hear Starry's views on what has happened?

Does it really matter?
The bottom line is they ARE going down which frankly is f***ing hysterical :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

i think we should read "competitive" for "healthy" regarding playing budgets.

but this is only competitive at Division 3 level!!!

So will hardly be attractive to the better sort of player we seek

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Ridsdale is a disgrace because he made financial commitments that he couldn't guarantee the club would be able to honour.

Of course it's funny to see Leeds fall from grace but there is also something sad about the fact that "chasing the dream" has led to yet another big club being on the verge of administration.

15 years on from the start of the Premiership and with all this supposed Premiership money floating about how many of the 92 league clubs are debt-free? 3 or 4 at most, I'd wager.

Ironically, the demise of Leeds, Forest, Sheff Wed, QPR and Ipswich has freed up some Premiership places for some former great sides like Blackburn Rovers, Bolton Wanderers, Fulham, Charlton Athletic and Middlesbrough to flourish.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Pavilionaire said:

Ironically, the demise of Leeds, Forest, Sheff Wed, QPR and Ipswich has freed up some Premiership places for some former great sides like ... Fulham, Charlton Athletic and Middlesbrough to flourish.

Flourish? Three of the bottom seven clubs?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
They've all been in the Prem for the last few years and had their moments along the way. I'm talking about the longer-term.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here