Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Another example of why this is the best club in the World (IMHO)

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Brilliant, thanks for posting!

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
I'm 40 years old.

I WISH your son had invited ME to his birthday party.

Seriously, that all sounds superb.

bollox mate i am 44 and fully intend to have my 45th bday party at the amex!

To OP sounds amazing good stuff by all concerned at the club.

Bodular

Jul 9, 2012
We had my son's 7th birthday party at the Amex on Sunday morning.

Picture the scene - we were directed to park in the coach park and walk down the steps to the West Stand Reception. Now, I'm a season ticket holder in the East Lower so was rather excited myself at the prospect of going to a different area to start with, and my son, who has so far only been to a couple of games, was getting rather excited even at this early stage, as was Mrs FBS and my 10 year old daughter.

As we approached the reception entrance, we noticed a large array of players cars parked up outside (including Barnes' Smart Car!!!) and realised with a further surge of excitement that the players were all in for training at the same time as junior FBS' party - 10.00am start. As if the sight of various players arriving at the same time as us and the other 14 kids was not exciting enough, what happened later was frankly the icing on the proverbial cake (not to be confused with the rather smart BHAFC shirt - shaped cake supplied by the club for the party).

Included in the cost of the two hour party (as well as said BHAFC cake) is a behind the scenes tour of the West Stand facilities, including changing rooms, press conference room, etc., plus a mini five-a-side tournament in the indoor astro-turf warm-up area, culminating in party food and music in the away dressing room (somewhat less luxurious than the home changing room!) and a visit from Gully to present junior FBS with a new kit (shirt, shorts & socks) with his name and age on the back of the shirt.

All of this was, in my opinion, fantastic value for money.

On arrival, Ian, the organiser, and our guide for the proceedings (ably assisted by Dale) firstly offered his apologies that we would not be able to see the home changing room as the players were likely to be in and out of there all morning. Not a problem, I said, as I'm sure the fact that we might get to see them on the pitch for a couple of minutes would make up for it.

So, we looked round the trophy cabinet, function suites and then up to the top of the West Stand where some of the kids had their first sight of the inside of the stadium and the pitch - the look on their faces and the gasps of awe were just fantastic! Ian then proceeded to give us short talk about the history of the stadium (did you know the electricty bill is c£250,000 per month?!?) but was interrupted by a certain Mr Oatway (senior) shouting up from the pitch to let us know that we were welcome to pop into the changing room as they were going to be out of there for ten minutes.

So, off we went (in the lift this time) back down to ground level and through the matchday press room (very nice too) and into the corridor that leads to the dressing room, past the kit and laundry room (where a nice lady showed us Ulloa's hat-trick shirt freshly washed and dried) and onto the dressing room, where we were ushered in but asked politely not to disturb CMS who was having a massage (he still said hi to us all though - cue much swooning by FBS sister-in-law!) and into the main changing room where Paul Watson was busy doing something to someone's kit (not sure what!) but was happy to stop and say hi as well.

So, onwards out the tunnel and pitchside where everyone could have their turn at sitting in Gus and Tanno's seats and watch some of the players training (great volley from Gus which ended up in the top row of the North Stand, much to the amusement of all present!) then back inside to play football for half an hour.

Whilst waiting turns to go into the warm-up room, we were lucky enough to see most of the players coming and going, including Vicente who smiled sweetly at everyone, waved and said hello and then Adam El Abd and Dean Hammond who stopped to ask the kids if they were having a good time, swiflty followed by Ashley Barnes, Gary Dicker and Will Buckley. Tanno got in on the act too and Spanish Dave, Orlandi and Brezovan then, for me the highlight of the morning, was Gus coming out specifically to see us and say hello and insisting on posing for a group photo with all the kids and then with me on my own!

A lot of negative stuff is said about footballers but I have to say every single player and member of staff we saw on Sunday was fantastic and we could not have imagined how great the party could have been. Without exception, every single kid went home and told their parents it was the best party they'd ever been to and apparently one kid who turned up wearing a Chelsea kit went home and replaced his Chelsea bedroom posters with Brighton stuff from the party bag (and free matchday programme) and informed his parents that he is now a Brighton supporter! I suspect on the evidence of Sunday's experience that he won't be the only one!

Forgive the waffling, but I just wanted to share this experience with you. I will of course send a letter of thanks directly to the Club and my son is also writing his own letter.

I bloody love The Albion!

How much did it cost ???

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
But Vicente has stropped off back to Spain hasn't he.

Oh

Great story though! Have to say the same, we really do seem to have a great set of lads now, certainly from when I have seen Gus, Tanno, CMS, Brez, Ankergren all happy for a quick hello or photos with ours etc.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Thing is, though, if you do this at Selhurst, you also have the option of doing the weekly shopping while you're there. So I'm afraid Palace beat us on this one. *sigh*

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
Great story and really good to see some positive vibes for a change.

I'm not disbelieving what you were told but £3M a year for the energy bill...?? I know energy companies know how to screw people over, but bloody hell, I think I will recommend the club get on to uSwitch if that's the case!!!

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
£3m a year is RIDICULOUS for energy. At 15p per kWh that's 20,000,000 kWh per year, or 2282 kWh per hour.
So the AVERAGE power consumption of the Amex across the year is nearly 2.3 megawatts? :mad:

Maybe the OP added an extra zero by accident?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
£3m a year is RIDICULOUS for energy. At 15p per kWh that's 20,000,000 kWh per year, or 2282 kWh per hour.
So the AVERAGE power consumption of the Amex across the year is nearly 2.3 megawatts? :mad:

Maybe the OP added an extra zero by accident?

jigowattwhat.jpg

"1.21 JIGAWATTS ?!?!?!"

Seagulltonian

C'mon the Albion!
Oct 2, 2003
Still Somewhere in Sussex!
That's a great post :bowdown:

What's the saying "get them while they're young, and you have a fan for life."

I think this club has always been pretty good at doing things like this, but it seems as the club goes up a notch, so does everything else! :albion2:

Only the North Stand, Standing problem to sort out then! lol

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
We had my son's 7th birthday party at the Amex on Sunday morning....I bloody love The Albion!

Great stuff! If we can keep this mixture of "big club/little club" (by which I mean that success on the pitch doesn't lead to a loss of keeping in touch with the 'community'), then I have an array of nephews and a new niece that will be treated to a day like this in a few years' time!

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Great story, and I can well believe it!

My 10 year old son has met CMS, Crofts, Buckley, Ankergren and Vicente after the game and all have taken time to say hello to him, have a quick chat with him and sign his shirt. On two occasions the stewards have even offered to take him pitch side to watch the players warm down.

His best experience was being taken pitch side by a steward and meeting Vicente, getting his shirt signed then the great man removing his game shirt and giving to him! It was his jersey from the Derby match so he hadn't played in it but who cares!!!

It now has pride of place framed on his bedroom wall.

It really is a great club and even now I'm still in awe every time I go to the Amex. :albion2:

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Great post. Thanks for sharing.

Rabeen

Jul 11, 2003
Worthing
My son had his 8th birthday party there a year and a half ago and it was fantastic - even without the playing staff and management being there. I probably wouldn't have recovered if I had experienced that too.

Great post.

Greatest club.

Mulderbauer

Feb 23, 2009
Thanks for taking the time to write that up, great experience for the boys and enjoyed reading it. I had my sons party there last year and whilst we didnt get lucky like you guys it was a superb day (tad expensive mind..)

I do love hearing stories about lads changing their current premiership allegiences for the Albion and seeing them wearing the kits in parks and football training, going back a few years they were far a few between

We certainly lost a generation of fans but this stadium was worth waiting for and the club is doing a fantastic job in attracting them in.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here