Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Annoying neighbour dispute

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
So after all that it was indeed a series of near comical misunderstandings and random events leading to a slice of lemon drizzle in the crisp spring air.

One thing I’m still unsure on; what was the dwarf in the bowler hat running through a wood in slow motion all about?

One of life’s great mysteries i suppose.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Pleased thing have all worked out to your advantage HWT.

Just one question, you did keep your clothes on throughout the meeting, didn’t you?

Given the clementness of the weather, yes, yes I did :rolleyes::wave:

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
A thread that started so promisingly has disappointedly ended up being a damp squib !! Glad you sorted it all out though, falling out with neighbours is never ideal

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
So after all that it was indeed a series of near comical misunderstandings and random events leading to a slice of lemon drizzle in the crisp spring air.

One thing I’m still unsure on; what was the dwarf in the bowler hat running through a wood in slow motion all about?

One of life’s great mysteries i suppose.

That Brian Rix is simply marvellous.

I'll end with some music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVDYEyq45bg

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
Just back from having a chat.

Turns out she wanted the gate left open so that her friends can wander in on their own past he back of our house, because she was concerned about disturbing us by walking round the back of our house to let her friends in via the gate. We told her that we don't mind her opening the gate to let people in during Covid. She said that of course after Covid they can go through her house.

You couldn't make it up.

We did have a brief chat about right of way and whether this can be transferred from those to whom it is granted to third parties of their choosing, but this chat was brief. I promised to forward the legal document whose passage covers this issue. For future reference. Like.

We then had a nice chat about other things. All very convivial.

So I had no need to initiate 'operation shallow grave' after all.

Thanks for the various pieces of advice - accessing the deeds and other documents was a stroke of genius, since it allowed me to elevate myself into an unusual position (of having a bit of an idea about what I was talking about :lolol: :thumbsup:)
Glad you got it sorted. I was going to suggest that you replace your gate with a coin operated turnstile, but no need for that now.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Just back from having a chat.

Turns out she wanted the gate left open so that her friends can wander in on their own past he back of our house, because she was concerned about disturbing us by walking round the back of our house to let her friends in via the gate. We told her that we don't mind her opening the gate to let people in during Covid. She said that of course after Covid they can go through her house.

You couldn't make it up.

We did have a brief chat about right of way and whether this can be transferred from those to whom it is granted to third parties of their choosing, but this chat was brief. I promised to forward the legal document whose passage covers this issue. For future reference. Like.

We then had a nice chat about other things. All very convivial.

So I had no need to initiate 'operation shallow grave' after all.

Thanks for the various pieces of advice - accessing the deeds and other documents was a stroke of genius, since it allowed me to elevate myself into an unusual position (of having a bit of an idea about what I was talking about :lolol: :thumbsup:)

Just like last night’s football. All the nervous excitement prematch only to feel a slight anticlimax post game. An acceptable result but without any shots causing any moments of interest.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
You can pay £3 to get an instant online copy of your deeds from Land Registry if you haven't got a copy available.

https://eservices.landregistry.gov.uk/eservices/FindAProperty/view/QuickEnquiryInit.do?_ga=2.29690111.1588897658.1618313700-271701799.1618127570

Thanks just used that. We are an end of terrace and have an alley running down side of our house giving access to 4 houses on that side and then running around the back giving access to two more. Not clear from the download who owns the alley but I have a right of access if share upkeep - not that that has ever been requested.
A neighbour wants to put a gate across the alley and is asking neighbours for their views. I researched this and found it’s pretty involved. Thought it was worth posting in light of this thread.
https://thecrimepreventionwebsite.c...eygaters_guide_to_gating_alleys_bumblebee.pdf

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
In the houses adjacent to me, they decided to put a lock on the front of the gate with a password. Whilst I wouldn't be in the mood for a pragmatic solution in your shoes, this does remove the need for you to unbolt the gate.

For the tanks on the lawn approach, guests are now allowed - by law - to enter the garden via your house. You can tell her covid is done if you want.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Has the neighbour mentioned being pissed off with constantly hearing obscure music being played?
???

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
The Land Registry sometimes also take copies of the relevant conveyances if they have specific relevant information - you can usually purchase these as well.

Bear in mind that what the LR write isn't necessarily what is in the original conveyances, which can get adapted or differently interpreted over time. I live on an private avenue of 12 houses, and we all have rights of access and maintenance responsibilities. When the houses were all sold off in c1913 they were all done by the same solicitor and every conveyance had exactly the same wording with regard to these rights and responsibilities (we all dug out our originals when it came to resurfacing the road about 10 years ago) - but what was on the Land Registry documents was subtly different for nearly every property.

If you can track down the original conveyances with the maps, look for little 'T' shaped marks on the boundary. Generally speaking the side on which the T lies is the side responsible for / owning the boundary (but not always - the law is never that simple!!).

I was told a rule of thumb on border ownership many moons ago by a conveyancing solicitor - I've no idea how true it is in general but it's certainly been correct for all the properties both myself, my brother and my parents have owned. The rule of thumb is to look out from the house to your back garden. The right side boundary is your responsibility, the left side boundary is the neighbour's on the left responsibility. The bottom boundary isn't covered by this rule of thumb. Obviously there are exceptions - i.e. what if your left boundary is the end of the road so there is no neighbour ? But as I say - it's always worked for me.

disgruntled h blocker

Oct 16, 2003
Ampfield
I was told a rule of thumb on border ownership many moons ago by a conveyancing solicitor - I've no idea how true it is in general but it's certainly been correct for all the properties both myself, my brother and my parents have owned. The rule of thumb is to look out from the house to your back garden. The right side boundary is your responsibility, the left side boundary is the neighbour's on the left responsibility. The bottom boundary isn't covered by this rule of thumb. Obviously there are exceptions - i.e. what if your left boundary is the end of the road so there is no neighbour ? But as I say - it's always worked for me.

That sadly is an "old wives tale" and wrong.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Might have some sway on newer properties but older ones are often party walls on the side bordering a neighbour. I wouldn’t rely on this advice.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
That Brian Rix is simply marvellous.

I'll end with some music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVDYEyq45bg

I take issue with this Hippy idea, I'm a rocker, a heavy rocker. I'm far less floral than my prose may suggest - indeed I'm far more likely to be face down in the bog, than strumming folk ditties sitting on a log in the scented garden of roll neck delights.

That said, Liege and Leaf is a truly marvelous album.

I can feel a dispute coming on.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
I take issue with this Hippy idea, I'm a rocker, a heavy rocker. I'm far less floral than my prose may suggest - indeed I'm far more likely to be face down in the bog, than strumming folk ditties sitting on a log in the scented garden of roll neck delights.

That said, Liege and Leaf is a truly marvelous album.

I can feel a dispute coming on.

Sorry Kosh - any chance of that post in English?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here