Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Annie Nightingale RIP

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
She’s a classic case of if you’re not from Brighton, if you’re of the right mindset, Brighton will find you.
As far as Annie was concerned- it was people like her imo, who helped make Brighton in the late 60s right through to the late eighties (when I was at art college and messing around in the music scene), the vibrant, cultural and cutting edge City it was - in pub and football culture, in all areas of the performing arts especially music, she was part of the soul of Brighton that made Brighton the mindset it is. Those of us who lived through that era, feel that I think.

Last edited:

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I’m another whose teenage Sunday evenings were always planned around Annie’s show. She played such great music and introduced me to loads of new bands.
I guess her age was inevitable considering how young I was back then, but still shocked a bit that she was 20 years older than me! 😳
She’s a great loss.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Annie Nightingale was never someone I actually identified with, or someone whose work and/or influence I sought out. I was aware of her, and her Brighton connections from my early 20’s, and knew she was a bit of a trailblazer on the new/indie music front.

It is only now I realise that much of what I still listen to today was championed and popularised by DJs just like AN on non prime time music shows. Without people like her the music we all listen to would be far less varied, and our lives far more bland because of it. Sleep easy Annie, and thank you.

PS Did we recently lose another top notch female DJ, as when I just saw this thread I thought it was a few weeks old?

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
Very sad. Met her once at Brighton station after a gig (Meatloaf - Brighton Centre my 18th birthday). She wanted to know all about whether we had enjoyed it, what he'd played. Really nice lady. RIP
This wasn't the bat out of hell 2 tour was it? Early 90s? If so, I was there as well!

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Has she got a bus named after her? If not, a campaign is needed.
EDIT: Doesn't appear to be: https://history.buses.co.uk/history...0*MTcwNTEzNzQ2OC4xLjAuMTcwNTEzNzQ2OC42MC4wLjA.
anight1.jpg

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
1985. I think it was deadringer
Think it was the bad attitude tour.

Anyway back to point. A superb broadcaster and journalist 1st and foremost. In both genres not content with relying on what was fed to her, she would go out and find what people would be interested in if only they knew about it.

She was the epitome of cool and a real Brighton legend

Trevor

In my Fifties, still know nothing
NSC Patron
Dec 16, 2012
Milton Keynes
Think it was the bad attitude tour.

Anyway back to point. A superb broadcaster and journalist 1st and foremost. In both genres not content with relying on what was fed to her, she would go out and find what people would be interested in if only they knew about it.

She was the epitome of cool and a real Brighton legend
Thanks for help. Yes agree with your words. To put it mildly, many of her Radio 1 colleagues were not in it for the music. She did a proper job and has enriched our cultural lives as a result.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
RiP Annie. I loved listening to her Radio 1 show on Sundays, and she certainly did her bit to help make Brighton such a cool place.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here