Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ankle injury

SNOOBS

Feb 25, 2007
Brighton
At 6 aside this evening I think I may have spained my ankle. With 10 seconds no less to go in our game I stretched to block the ball with the outside of my left foot, and it sort of rolled on the ball, then leaving me rolling around in agony on the pitch.
It immediately balooned up and I could only just get my shoe on with extremely loose laces afterwards to drive home, in much pain. When I got home it was about the size of a melon and I had it in ice for about 30 mins.
I've since had a very hot bath and elevated it (following RICE) with more ice.

Can anyone attempt to diagnose and give possible recovery time or suggest anything I should do.

Really hoping for a miraculous recovery so I can train tomorrow as I only just recovered from an ankle injury, also the result of a 6 aside game, and the manager was none too pleased then!
Also gutted I was ruled out of a big night out, someone pleased tell me Valentines is shite for a night out!! :angry:

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
If you've overstretched the joint, ie turned the ankle it is likely to be a sprain, which is torn ankle ligaments in general terms.

All you can do for now is put ice on it (wrapped in a towel) to reduce swelling. The hot bath probably isn't the best idea if it is a sprain. After icing it, strap it up as this will also keep the swelling down, and try to keep the weight off it.

I've badly sprained both ankles playing football in the past (and once by drunkenly attempting to leap over a grass verge in the dark) and neither ankle has ever been the same since because I tried to carry on normally. The ligaments in both of my ankles remain stretched longer than they should be to this day because I never bothered to get any physio at the time, consequently they are prone to going again and I can't stand for any length of time with my weight entirely on the right one. For years afterwards I had to tape them up every time I played football so they wouldn't just turn over again.

If you break your ankle, it tends to heal stronger than previously, so legend has it, whereas if you sprain it, the ligaments are likely to be weaker unless you really work hard at rehabilitating them. You shouldn't be playing football for a while, put it that way, unless it's a very minor sprain.

sir danny cullip

Feb 14, 2004
Burgess Hill
I've done both of mine three or four times (varying degrees of severity) and every time I thought it had healed and I came back too quick and did exactly the same injury within a couple of weeks, my right ankle is still bigger than the other one ever since.

I'm not a physio expert but knowing how much havoc mine have given me I'd suggest at least a few weeks off and then getting back into it very slowly (jogging isn't really a good indication as to how it's healed because of the quick changes of direction you have to deal with during a match which was when mine used to buckle).

If you re-do it after giving it loads of time to heal then I'd suggest seeing a physio to get it sorted.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I twisted my ankle whilst helping a friend move house. The automatic light went off and I missed a step. Rolled. Saved the TV, but not myself. It has not been the same since. I play regular football and cricket, but I have been hampered with a pain and a misplace bone. I would get it checked out.

SNOOBS

Feb 25, 2007
Brighton
Thanks for all your replies, doesn't sound like the prospects are too great. Manager is going to be fuming.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
I've done my ankles several times over the years. (ranging from being sprained to ligament damage)

Elevating and applying ice is the best thing to do at first, it isn't worth going to the doctors until about 3 days have passed as the swelling will tend to disguise the extent of the damage but the main thing to do is rest it as much as possible. There are a set of exercises you should look to follow to help strengthen and maintain full movement in your ankle but if it continues to cause you pain, see a doctor (they are unlikely to X-ray it as Doctors arn't keen on this)

this might help
http://www.amssm.org/MemberFiles/AnkleSprain.pdf

Brighton till i die

You havin' a bubble?
Jan 31, 2004
On the terraces!!
i reptured my ankle ligaments last season and was really sore - also sprained the other ankle this year.
One thing id do asap is get yourself seen by a DECENT sports physio...

..i have made contact with a bloke who is SUPERB, he used to be physio for a professional football team until 2 years ago and now runs his own physio - he's based in Crawley - pm me if you want his details :)

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Why ?
Sounds like a bit of a tool if he gets annoyed at you for being injured.

Because young Mr Snoobs is GOOD, and is signed at a proper club.. Said club, would feel that he should only be playing for / training with them, and not playing 6-a-side with his mates on a Monday night...

Get well soon Snoobs. Take the above advice - don't rush it, or you'll suffer for it long term.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Because young Mr Snoobs is GOOD, and is signed at a proper club.. Said club, would feel that he should only be playing for / training with them, and not playing 6-a-side with his mates on a Monday night...

Get well soon Snoobs. Take the above advice - don't rush it, or you'll suffer for it long term.

Ahh, I SEE.
I thought he'd injured himself playing for said club in a 6-aside. All has become clear, and his manager is indeed entitled to feel somewhat narky.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
I went through a period of turning over my ankle whilst football training on a hard surface [few years back now] - with stretched ligaments, only your skin is giving support. I went to see Mike Yaxley [ex Albion physio] and he showed me a special way of taping them up to give extra support without losing mobility [to get back playing sooner but protecting them from doing the same injury]

Unfortunately ligament damage takes much longer to repair [limited blood flow region] so there is always a risk that YOU think you are ready to return, and the injury repeats.

No sportsman likes to be told to rest or only light training [non competitive] but sometiomes its necessary to prolong your playing career.

As mentioned, find a good sports physio ... and follow their advice ....

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
I think I may have spained my ankle.

Ouch. Worse than greecing your elbow, polanding on your arse or doing your croatia ligament, so I've heard.

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks
One thing id do asap is get yourself seen by a DECENT sports physio...

is the best advice.
They can't do anything until swelling has gone down sufficiently to start munipulating your ankle and be prepared for excruciating pain when the physio gets to work!
As an extra tip, look at how flexible your other ankle is as that's what your aiming for post recovery. If you have less flexibility than before then your more likely to do it again. This usually happens when you just let it heal itself over time rather than having physio or doing specific exercises etc.

SNOOBS

Feb 25, 2007
Brighton
Been to A+E this morning and had an x-ray, which showed no break, so its a sprain. Still quite a lot of swelling. The nurse reckoned 3 weeks minimum and gave me some exercises to do but urged me not to do anything too stenuous too quickly as it will happen again, like many of you have said. There is a good physio at the club so I shall probably see her after the swelling goes down.
The nurse also suggested an ankle support so thanks for the link Mendoza :)

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Have done my ankles heaps of times playing basketball. The worst time though saw me on crutches for 3 weeks.

If you can walk on it now it shouldnt be too bad in the long run.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here