Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ankergren - can't make my mind up

Jun 24, 2010
Goring
Hello. New to NSC, first thread, but been watching things on here for ages. Thought it was time I dipped my toe!

One thing bothering me is that we keep talking about further additions including new forward (good) new pace in midfield (good) and new centre back cover (needed), but not a lot of talk about our number 1. Is it just me or does anyone else kack their pants every time the ball goes anywhere near Ankergren? some matches last season he made some amazing saves but others he flapped?....

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
He will be ok-unless he is not,still having had FDM for so long any gk will seem inadequate..i like him-not the best but he suites our style of play as well.

Smithy

Apr 26, 2009
Hove
I thought he got better as the season progressed. If he continues to play like he did towards the end of last season I think he'll be fine.

Oh, and welcome.

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
Ankergren just needs to read the game more and wind the clock down. He seemed to be in so much of a rush last year.

Hello. New to NSC, first thread, but been watching things on here for ages. Thought it was time I dipped my toe!

One thing bothering me is that we keep talking about further additions including new forward (good) new pace in midfield (good) and new centre back cover (needed), but not a lot of talk about our number 1. Is it just me or does anyone else kack their pants every time the ball goes anywhere near Ankergren? some matches last season he made some amazing saves but others he flapped?....

Critiscism of Ankergren is heavily unjust in my opinion. He was a simply superb signing on a free last season and kept, I beleive, around 20 or more clean sheets last season. He is also a massive calming influence at the back and starts virtually every attacking move we go on, whether it be a pin point ball to a man further up the pitch, a throw to the keeper or a simple short pass to one of the central defenders. He tactically wastes time and pisses the opposition off and also does his best to disrupt there rythm. With him in goal, you tend to control the flow of the game and win the mental side of things.

All this is capped off by a player of the month award and I have the most absolute confidence in the man. In my opinion and statistically clean sheets wise, the best keeper at Withdean and one of the best ever.

Jun 24, 2010
Goring
Yeh think he did get better as time went and he seems to suit the passing game (and good value with his comedy time-wasting), but I think in this league he will have a lot more to deal with. fingers crossed....

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
The trouble is no-one can forget the one bad mistake Rochdale at home, he was as influential as anyone last season. Huge presence in the box, very calm and brilliant distribution.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
The trouble is no-one can forget the one bad mistake Rochdale at home, he was as influential as anyone last season. Huge presence in the box, very calm and brilliant distribution.

agree,the key here i think.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I feel more confident now when he comes out and punches the ball from a corner or cross into the box. He used to make me feel nervous as he seemed indecisive but not so much towards the end of the season. I still think Brezovan is L1 quality and Ankergren will hack it in the Championship but can see him being replaced by another keeper who will be good enough to play at Premier League standard whether for us or another team.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
I assume this is a piss take, Casper is by far a better keeper than FDM could ever dream of being.

Loyal servant and all that agreed, but he was never a great keeper.

Nope-shot stopping is the number 1 priority for a keeper to do this you have most other attributes such as positional awareness,concentration,reflexes,command of the box etc....distribution is low down the pecking order for me anyway-otherwise what's the point.

Kuipers was a superb shot stopper.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I was very nervous about him early in the season, but I think that as he got used to his role, as he and the defence got settles with each other I started to relax a bit more.

I still get nervous when he comes for high balls because he usually doesn't punch or catch he paws at it, and so rarely gets any clearance with it. And although some people say it helps if the keeper never comes because the defenders know what they have to do, but his biggest weakness (and southampton took advantage of this from what I recall) is crosses that come just in ront of the goal, not even far enough out to be 'the corridor of uncertainty', which he rarely comes for. The defenders leave it because even a keeper who doesn't come for crosses should be getting these balls since they are so close, but he left them, the defence left them, and it bounces near the far post. Southampton seemed to be the only team that put someone on the far post.

But overall, I don't feel we need another goalkeeper, more importantly, neither does gus.

MrShaun15

Aug 28, 2010
i honestly dont know if he is good enough.. with a good defence infront of him in league one he is fine but against championship quality? makes to many mistakes IMHO

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Ankergren has won two successive promotions in two seasons (Leeds & us) won Player of the Month twice in his year with us, kept the most clean sheets in a season (club record) and still people worry.

Caveman

Jul 14, 2003
Nope-shot stopping is the number 1 priority for a keeper to do this you have most other attributes such as positional awareness,concentration,reflexes,command of the box etc....distribution is low down the pecking order for me anyway-otherwise what's the point.

Kuipers was a superb shot stopper.

Kuipers as good as he was at shot stopping, would not be able to cope with our style of play now. His distribution at time was shocking and would often put us back under pressure, so distribution is very important!! (not digging at Kuipers BTW as he is rightly a Brighton legend ;) )

I think Ankergren has been excellent and is key.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here