Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Angela Merkel

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
I didn't claim anything. I posted a link to an article.

"I googled which EU countries receive the most asylum seekers" Ok fair enough, you did not claim so and so, but you did write that and quite reasonably, I assumed that by giving this info, you were making a point. It was another post actually claimed that Germany takes them in, I now realise, but your post was seen in support of that. Perhaps you did not mean it?

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
I am fascinated to know why you think so. Not arguing -just curious

If they hadn't embarked on a mad genocidal campaign to eradicate the Jewish population of Europe then perhaps things might be a little easier in Israel and the occupied territories, it's really simple.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
If they hadn't embarked on a mad genocidal campaign to eradicate the Jewish population of Europe then perhaps things might be a little easier in Israel and the occupied territories, it's really simple.

....plus gypsies, homosexuals, intellectuals, the handicapped ( physically ) the handicapped (mentally ), political opponents, outspoken members of their own party, witches, warlocks, the overweight, the underweight and almost every other sector of society that didn't conform to their Aryan blueprint.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
I don't know about it being simple -what you wrote is simplistic and tenuous. Surely you are not bringing up events from 75 years ago to justify what you wrote. By that token then, we are equally to blame, as we did not sink Jewish refugee boats taking the survivors to Palestine, which would not have enraged the Arabs. Surely enough has gone on since to really determine the fate of those in the Middle East, not the least being their own intransigence.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
I don't know about it being simple -what you wrote is simplistic and tenuous. Surely you are not bringing up events from 75 years ago to justify what you wrote. By that token then, we are equally to blame, as we did not sink Jewish refugee boats taking the survivors to Palestine, which would not have enraged the Arabs. Surely enough has gone on since to really determine the fate of those in the Middle East, not the least being their own intransigence.

So you weren't just fascinated or curious then.....

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Ok it doesn't seem so, fair enough, but I genuinely was, as I could not conceive that you would come up with such a tenuous link. I just couldn't work out the link.

Oh do leave off HG, you knew full well what he was referring to, and events 75 years ago are very pertinent to what has gone on since and is going on today in Israel.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Oh do leave off HG, you knew full well what he was referring to, and events 75 years ago are very pertinent to what has gone on since and is going on today in Israel.

I genuinely could not. But you are right in that the past can shape the present. However in those 75 years the man protagonists in the Middle East have had every opportunity to compromise, and the fact that they have not done this means that the blame rests squarely with them and not Germany.it is a difficult situation, but the seeming insurmountable differences in Northern Ireland have been overcome -to an extent. Where there is a will, there is a way, as the saying goes.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
To be honest I have some thoughts pro and against what Angela Merkel said - I am very pro Migration and think that it has enhanced Europe whether some people see it that way or not. Around 45% of our doctors in the UK are 1st or 2nd Generation Imigrants.

I cant help but think that this girl knew the rules and the position within the system she and her family currently find themselves in. Palestine is one of the most dangerous places in the world to be brought up and it would be great to take all of them that wanted to move but that would be like sweeping the Palestinian/Israeli problem under the carpet.

Instead of the newspapers mocking Ms Merkel for her comments they should be using this young girls plight to force Germany and other Western nations to work harder to find a lasting solution to the wars in Gaza.

Or perhaps that should have been Merkel's response to the girl to try and find a solution in Palestine so that she would find it safe to go home - newspapers have their priorities all wrong by trying to isolate incidents in an attempt to belittle people..

I actually like Merkel as a politician. She is never going to win Glamorous Granny Contest but but she is very good politician, if there is such a thing

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
I genuinely could not. But you are right in that the past can shape the present. However in those 75 years the man protagonists in the Middle East have had every opportunity to compromise, and the fact that they have not done this means that the blame rests squarely with them and not Germany.it is a difficult situation, but the seeming insurmountable differences in Northern Ireland have been overcome -to an extent. Where there is a will, there is a way, as the saying goes.
Why should the palestinians compromise ? The Israelis keep banging on about exchanging land for peace, its land that wasnt theirs in the bloody first place ! Its like someone stealing £100 from your wallet and you being expected to be happy with getting £60 back , as for Northern Ireland, I was there at the weekend and believe me the unionist population is far from happy , they feel their culture is slowly but surely being eroded.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Why should the palestinians compromise ? The Israelis keep banging on about exchanging land for peace, its land that wasnt theirs in the bloody first place ! Its like someone stealing £100 from your wallet and you being expected to be happy with getting £60 back , as for Northern Ireland, I was there at the weekend and believe me the unionist population is far from happy , they feel their culture is slowly but surely being eroded.

Thanks and I don't doubt what you say about the proddies in NI - thought they have been saying that for years. I did qualify my statement about NI, as the peace is probably quite uneasy. AS to Palestine, I am not an expert on this situation at all, but I imagine that the Israelis probably feel as well that it is their land, and so it goes on. You bring up the Palestinians viewpoint, and the situation as they see it, and "why should they compromise" is one way of looking at it. But it just keeps on going, if you insist on this. This does not make the Israelis innocent by any means, but in the end, irrespective of what we think, some sort of compromise is going to be needed.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Thanks and I don't doubt what you say about the proddies in NI - thought they have been saying that for years. I did qualify my statement about NI, as the peace is probably quite uneasy. AS to Palestine, I am not an expert on this situation at all, but I imagine that the Israelis probably feel as well that it is their land, and so it goes on. You bring up the Palestinians viewpoint, and the situation as they see it, and "why should they compromise" is one way of looking at it. But it just keeps on going, if you insist on this. This does not make the Israelis innocent by any means, but in the end, irrespective of what we think, some sort of compromise is going to be needed.
israel isnt going away , but all the time they have pretty much unqualified support from the US then they'll keep asking for unreasonable 'compromises' from the palestinians, just look at the west bank settlements , as for northern ireland the prods do feel unfairly treated but a united ireland is pretty much off the agenda as their is a sizeable minority if not a majority of Catholics who would prefer to remain in the union.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
israel isnt going away , but all the time they have pretty much unqualified support from the US then they'll keep asking for unreasonable 'compromises' from the palestinians, just look at the west bank settlements , as for northern ireland the prods do feel unfairly treated but a united ireland is pretty much off the agenda as their is a sizeable minority if not a majority of Catholics who would prefer to remain in the union.
thanks. Interesting point about the catholics in NI. I often wondered during the Troubles as to whether the IRA enjoyed their total support or not, and suspected that the silent majority might have withdrawn from the abyss, should unification or some such event have ever come about.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
thanks. Interesting point about the catholics in NI. I often wondered during the Troubles as to whether the IRA enjoyed their total support or not, and suspected that the silent majority might have withdrawn from the abyss, should unification or some such event have ever come about.
It's not something that nationalist politicians are very keen to advertise but it's true, some surveys have even indicated a majority of Catholics would vote to remain in the union, perhaps the unionists need to sort their PR out to make this fact more widely known.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here