Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Andy Townsend

el punal

I've no idea. Good point about the England games though. I forgot about them. Poor old Clive Tyldesley. They'll have to find another inane, irritating, pseudo-Irishman to sit alongside him now. There is no shortage of such characters in the media of course. How long is Lawro's contract at the BBC?
I suppose they could try Ray Hughton, he's pseudo-Irish, and, the cousin of our new manager Chris Houghton. Failing that, you could always go for the biggest Irishman of the lot begorrah Wor Jackie Charlton. But he'll probably be out fishing.

RyFish

Dec 6, 2011
He's almost been fired too well. He'll be disappointed with that one, Clive. For me, he should be doing better there.

Reminds of this doozy:

"But we can expect better than that, Clive, can expect better than that there. He's better than that. Yes he learning and he's got plenty of time to improve of course, but someone gotta be able to step up to produce a little bit more, be better than that."

Matt Smith... will no doubt... be looking... for new employment... where time constraints are not... a consideration.

Do ITV actually have much in the way of football coverage left next year?

They've already lost the FA Cup to BBC and the Champions League will be exclusively BT Sport so, by my reckoning, that leaves them with a few
England games per year.

More importantly, will Adrian Charles still be there? He's one of the few pundits/presenters that I genuinely can't stand, miserable bloody potato.

Who is Adrian Charles - a relative of Lord Charles ?

Country Seagull

Jan 11, 2013
And I forgot about Clive T. A man who seems, based on his commentary style, to dream of being the voice on a 'they think it's all over' passage of play.

'If they score from this throw-in it will resound throughout history *long pause* out for a goal kick'.

Old Clive must spend hours in front of the mirror practising shouting "Rooonnneeyy", ready for every time Wayne knocks a shot from the edge of the area 5 yards wide.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Who is Adrian Charles - a relative of Lord Charles ?
He's what would have happened if Mr and Mrs Chiles had tried to fill out baby Adrian's birth certificate with autocorrect on.
Old Clive must spend hours in front of the mirror practising shouting "Rooonnneeyy", ready for every time Wayne knocks a shot from the edge of the area 5 yards wide.
His warm up sessions for World Cup matches must have been epic, bellowing random Algerian names into a mirror in the hotel bathroom...

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Matt Smith... will no doubt... be looking... for new employment... where time constraints are not... a consideration.

Spot on. Matt Smith's pregnant pauses were very much of the elephantine, 18-month variety.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Of all the summarisers I actually find Townsend the least irritating. Not sure why it's fashionable to berate him, especially when the media provides so many more deserving targets.

Lineker, to name but one. Appalling at his job.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I never got why Townsend was so hated and singled out for such abuse. He was a pretty ordinary pundit, but there's plenty of them about.

People get angry about some odd stuff.

Personally, because out of all of the football pundits out there, who, let’s face it, would struggle to get a score to obtain membership into MENSA between them, he comes across as the most brainless. No insight into the game right in front of him, hackneyed clichés and about 5 sayings repeated over and over again. Tell you what Clive, he hit that too well, he’s putting himself about, they are under the cosh here, cracking strike. Press play on an Andy Townsend voice recording and away you go.

A couple of pro footballers (League 1 & championship) lived on my street. They could talk about the game and illuminate matches I’d watched in ways I hadn’t previously seen or thought about (and that’s before some of the gambling et al stories which are unprintable on here). How have we ended up with Garth Crooks, Andy Townsend and Robbie Savage? Football doesn’t have to appeal to the lowest common denominator. Carragher and Neville on Sky have proved this.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
How have we ended up with Garth Crooks, Andy Townsend and Robbie Savage? Football doesn’t have to appeal to the lowest common denominator. Carragher and Neville on Sky have proved this.

I agree with you, I'm sure many people do, but sadly someone somewhere seems certain that what football fans really want is to hear the laddish 'genius' of Jimmy Bullard.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Of all the summarisers I actually find Townsend the least irritating. Not sure why it's fashionable to berate him, especially when the media provides so many more deserving targets.

Lineker, to name but one. Appalling at his job.

Townsend is awful. Diabolical. EVERYTHING he says is a predictable cliche in a dull monotone.

The thing is, it's not just him. Clive Tyldesley is unlistenable in my opinion. If he's still there ITV's coverage won't improve by much.

But I agree that there are more deserving targets. Robbie Savage. How does this narcissistic fool, who I have never found anyone that admits to feeling anything but utter contempt for, get televisual work?

And not just on BBC - he's a mainstay of BT Sport too!

PHCgull

Gus-ambivalent User
Mar 5, 2009
PASS SHOOT ITS A GOAL! Andy Townsend should be on the dole!

he is now, Clive.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here