Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Andy Naylor

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Ward is a done deal.... (Watch this space)

But I'm suggesting that there are a few targets higher up the pecking order on the 'wish list'

A central midfielder, centre half and target man possibly.

Yes, it would be interesting if the reason Clayton went to Middlesbrough was that we dropped out of the race for him because we're finalising the signing of another better midfielder.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Yes, it would be interesting if the reason Clayton went to Middlesbrough was that we dropped out of the race for him because we're finalising the signing of another better midfielder.

I like this thinking.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
A little unpopular at the moment...

The club and the fans seem less than impressed.

Justified ??

Not justified.

He gave us a list of players we've been seriously looking at signing. None of which are definite until the ink is on the contract.

He can either say nothing, or check things out with his sources and give us the situation as he knows it.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Whatever the club think of Naylor they are naive to think they can go about their daily business without the local paper trying to get an angle on their inner workings. Fans and local media love a bit of speculation and nothing the club say or do will change that.

Whilst I do not always agree with what Naylor writes I would rather see another view on the albion than a zombie paper continually trotting out the official club line

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
[tweet]496715573456539650[/tweet]

:lolol:

Spelling apart, that was a pretty mild response compared to some of the ones he got when he suggested Clayton was going to Boro.

He was one of many people stating those three names, and yet he is the one in the firing line. But some people suggest he is clueless anyway, so why are those people surprised?

I think people have an issue with him because he believes he should be as pro-Albion as the people that write in the match day programme. Journalism isn't like that. His job is to report the news (as opposed to spurious rumours), and be objective. Something a lot of people on here fail to be.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Whatever the club think of Naylor they are naive to think they can go about their daily business without the local paper trying to get an angle on their inner workings. Fans and local media love a bit of speculation and nothing the club say or do will change that.

Whilst I do not always agree with what Naylor writes I would rather see another view on the albion than a zombie paper continually trotting out the official club line

Exactly.

Do people just want a daily screenshot of seagulls.co.uk as the argus back page ?

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Have not been keen on Naylor for some years now, he often denigrates us (Albion supporters), for various offences such as moaning more than fans of other clubs, not being as knowledgeable as other fans, being more unrealistic than other fans etc.
He particularly got up my nose when the Stadium was under construction, and some fans commented that they were disappointed the Amex would only have a 20-22,000 capacity, he insisted we would not see crowds of more than 15,000 tops for many years.

Geezer is a plum.

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
I quite like Brian Owen - He's the Dom in the Argus Dick and Dom show.
This. I'm not keen on Naylor's snide and often unnecessary digs at Albion fans throughout the season, but more than anything else, my biggest reason for not liking him is that he's just not a very good writer.

Feb 14, 2010
Have not been keen on Naylor for some years now, he often denigrates us (Albion supporters), for various offences such as moaning more than fans of other clubs, not being as knowledgeable as other fans, being more unrealistic than other fans etc.
He particularly got up my nose when the Stadium was under construction, and some fans commented that they were disappointed the Amex would only have a 20-22,000 capacity, he insisted we would not see crowds of more than 15,000 tops for many years.

Geezer is a plum.

Difficult to argue with the evidence against Naylor. The problem he has is his credibility is shot to pieces because he doesn't understand why a traditionally lower league club is so well supported. He is not alone, most of the country dont either but for those of us whose families have supported the club for generation after generation and all remember big gates despite lower league football, we do understand the club. So to have someone who knows less about our club than we do just doesnt work, well unless he learns and he has not been very quick on the uptake thus far. Someone can be critical of fans, club, players, or anyone, but it resonates when its by someone who understands the club. As he doesn't, then he just gets stick.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Personally, I think Naylor has the excuse of wanting to earn a living...even though the ridiculously early statement from him has undoubtedly caused problems.

Bozza on the other hand.......is merely an attention seeking disgrace.

Possibly want to check your PMs when you get a minute :shootself:

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
I am completely behind our board, manager and all staff involved with transfer dealings who are obviously working tirelessly within our relatively tight budget in a highly competitive market BUT from the snippets I have picked up they appear to have found a very handy scapegoat in Andy Naylor during a fairly inactive and unsuccessful transfer period.

If you follow Naylor's Argus reports and tweets he very rarely, if ever latches onto fanciful transfer speculation and has always clarified he'll only publish rumours thst come from sources he deems credible. I'd suggest he was informed of this supposed triple signing from someone inside the Albion and that the source is getting somewhat of telling off behind closed doors whilst Naylor takes the flack from our ever increasingly frustrated supporters.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Think it is a bit unfair to make him the scapegoat in all of this. He has a job to do and I am pretty sure he has good contacts, not a bad bloke either as well.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Agree entirely [MENTION=38]Beach Hut[/MENTION]

I'm sure the number of rumours that naylor hears are more than even the most in the know person on this board does. He will get them from journos at other papers, agents, players, albion employees etc

The story of the recent 3 was something that many on here had heard elsewhere. The difference was that he would have done more due diligence on it than the average nsc poster, before making it public.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Naylor is just being made a scapegoat here, surely people can see this. I can't see that the blame, if any, rests anywhere except with the club or someone at the club, but how very convenient to be able to heap it all at Naylor's door.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here