Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Andy Naylor on Deadline Day

So.CalGull

Sep 28, 2010
Orange County. California.
I really don't think we need ex employees to vouch for you. This is, after all, only a football forum! You worked in newspapers until 2001 when regional publishing was highly respected, along with its core of sports reporters. But this is 2017. The newsroom you relate to bears no resemblance to modern journalism, which mines its income from click-bait and more vicariously, from user generated content. I'd also like to take issue with your 'family' theme when it comes to regional newspapers. The Argus is owned by Newsquest, which in turn is owned by Gannett, a US based Goliath of global media. About as 'family' as Vodafone.

I know, I was there for the takeover and was a very grateful recipient of the SPco shares that were brought back off us by Newsquest, the Gannett connection came a few years later when Jim Brown et al, sold Newsquest to the Americans...another great time to reap the rewards financially. There were many, many of the once 500 strong workforce that took money home that would not normally of happened.

I left Newsquest in 2001, you assume I have not worked in publishing since then, you are wrong, I am still involved in print and publishing, just in a different country.

The current environment of the all local press companies is a sign of the times, the writing has been on the walls for years, of course it is no longer a family scenario due to the nature of satellite print sites and digital communications, an example you can equate to nearly all customer service based industries.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
I know, I was there for the takeover and was a very grateful recipient of the SPco shares that were brought back off us by Newsquest, the Gannett connection came a few years later when Jim Brown et al, sold Newsquest to the Americans...another great time to reap the rewards financially. There were many, many of the once 500 strong workforce that took money home that would not normally of happened.

I left Newsquest in 2001, you assume I have not worked in publishing since then, you are wrong, I am still involved in print and publishing, just in a different country.

The current environment of the all local press companies is a sign of the times, the writing has been on the walls for years, of course it is no longer a family scenario due to the nature of satellite print sites and digital communications, an example you can equate to nearly all customer service based industries.

My dad worked at the Argus for over 30yrs

Codner's Wallop

Sep 11, 2013

Yes yes, I got all of that. But still, I don't connect this with the ringing endorsement that Naylor has some kind of golden relationship with BHA, who frankly wouldn't give a hoot if he existed or not. If you check the most recent ABC figures you will see the Argus now sells around 10,000 copies per day. Which is roughly the same a small town weekly would shift ten years ago. Not exactly a powerhouse on the Brighton scene is it?

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I have it on good authority that Naylor is disliked by senior figures within the club.

Linked to some of his previous reports.
Which you should be comfortable with. The time when a journalist becomes mates with his subject is the time I put the paper down.

Sent from my BTV-DL09 using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here