Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Andy Naylor is leaving

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
There was a general sports magazine launched about 20 years ago. I can't remember its name but it died a quick death. The trouble is that there are not many sports nuts in this country: there are plenty of people who like football or cricket or tennis or motor racing or boxing but there are not many people who football and cricket and tennis and motor racing and boxing.

I've bought football, cricket and rugby mags in the past as they're the sports I'm interested in. Why would I buy something (or pay a subscription for something) where about 70 to 80% is of no interest to me whatsoever?

Throw in the reluctance of British punters to pay for content and I think they'll struggle

Total Sport - edited by Danny Kelly.

My dad used to get that and Four Four Two [before it became shite] and whilst I always enjoyed reading them both after I got to about 18/19 the articles just didn’t resonate.

Local papers really are a labour of love at most and for me Naylor never really hit the challenging heights required by the local rag and often his scoops actually weren’t but having said all of that I’ll watch with interest in this new medium to see how he does with the shackles off.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Don’t blame him. The Argus is a tiny entity after decades of decline, they can’t be good payers for that role.

Good luck to him.

All local rags are in terminal decline, you could say that about any local paper anywhere in the country. A\lthough admittedly the quality of the reporting is well below par.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
This. The original comment was brainless. Remember reading Winter & Hayward at an early age and admiring how such prose could be put together in such a short time amongst others. It’s a skill beyond skill. Then there’s the whole relationship management with a club that will spit it’s dummy and ban you if you uncover something or are too critical. It’s a highly complex job to do and it’s why there are relatively few like Naylor, Owen etc who do it so well.

Paul Hayward is unreal. He manages to make it seem so effortless, and he's such a great bloke too. Henry at least has the good manners to look as if he's concentrating.

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
You sure ?

I don't pay to subscribe to ANY sports media sites online. I always used to read The Times online, till it went behind a paywall. The Telegraph has gone the same way, but again, I won't pay to view their sports pages. I SUFFER the (free) Mail Online sports pages, primarily because I like Martin Samuels writing and have followed him from when he was at The Times, but bloody hell, the ads and endless pop-up videos almost rival the Argus site, so it is a bit of a chore. Once I've read Samuel, I'm out.

The only mainstream bastions now are the BBC, which is informative but functional. Or the Guardian, who's sports coverage I really do like, but they've always got the begging bowl out asking to contribute. I guess I'm a bit entitled in wanting to read quality sports journalism online, without having to pay. But in my defence, I DO still regularly buy the Sunday Times, mainly for the sports pullout. And I do still like the "feel" of holding a newspaper to read, in much the same way as a paperback book. Basically, I'm a cheapskate philistine.

But you're right...at some point, the day may come when if you want to read any genuinely decent well written sports analysis online, you'll either have to pay a subscription, or come on here and read my stuff.

We get the Sunday Times too, but have a subscription deal at a tenner a month that means we get vouchers to pick up the paper at our local newsagent, and a digital Times subscription to read it online. Works for us :cheers:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I feel a bit sad at hearing this news. I have read Naylor’s reports for decades. When I went to university and subsequently lived in London my father used to send me a weekly package of Albion cuttings and Naylor’s match reports. My apartment was always littered with his writing. The advance of the internet meant my father could eventually save on his stamps and envelopes but I always looked forward to these deliveries.

I also sat opposite Naylor on a train journey back from a northern away game once. Once he’d finished his work we sat and chatted about numerous topics for an hour or two including the Albion, The Argus and especially the letters page; he was great company and a really nice chap.

Good luck Andy.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
As an aside I have a number of online subscriptions; I’m happy to pay for content.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
You sure ?

I don't pay to subscribe to ANY sports media sites online. I always used to read The Times online, till it went behind a paywall. The Telegraph has gone the same way, but again, I won't pay to view their sports pages. I SUFFER the (free) Mail Online sports pages, primarily because I like Martin Samuels writing and have followed him from when he was at The Times, but bloody hell, the ads and endless pop-up videos almost rival the Argus site, so it is a bit of a chore. Once I've read Samuel, I'm out.

The only mainstream bastions now are the BBC, which is informative but functional. Or the Guardian, who's sports coverage I really do like, but they've always got the begging bowl out asking to contribute. I guess I'm a bit entitled in wanting to read quality sports journalism online, without having to pay. But in my defence, I DO still regularly buy the Sunday Times, mainly for the sports pullout. And I do still like the "feel" of holding a newspaper to read, in much the same way as a paperback book. Basically, I'm a cheapskate philistine.

But you're right...at some point, the day may come when if you want to read any genuinely decent well written sports analysis online, you'll either have to pay a subscription, or come on here and read my stuff.

Compared to a sky tv subscription the price of the US thing is a drop in the ocean, and the amount of time we spend on devices a one stop shop for decent sports journalism will surely have a market. Indeed for those that gamble a bit of insight might result in more winnings - the thing could pay for itself.

The only time I read a paper is in the barbers.

Codner pharmaceuticals

Jun 17, 2009
Border Country
I feel slightly bad about talking ill of the dead and yes it is a dying profession and can empathize there BUT:
- I don’t ever recall any insightful strategic analysis of a game win / lose / draw
- there was never any strong emotional or opinion pieces (a la Hayward) other than quick cliches
- in his latter years he failed to adapt to the social media noise and make himself relevant instead lowering himself to juvenile battles and tarnishing any Albion fan with the same brush based on a 14 - yr old’s twitter post.

Maybe he can reinvent himself under a new medium.

Albion Robster

Jul 21, 2003
North West
I feel slightly bad about talking ill of the dead and yes it is a dying profession and can empathize there BUT:
- I don’t ever recall any insightful strategic analysis of a game win / lose / draw
- there was never any strong emotional or opinion pieces (a la Hayward) other than quick cliches
- in his latter years he failed to adapt to the social media noise and make himself relevant instead lowering himself to juvenile battles and tarnishing any Albion fan with the same brush based on a 14 - yr old’s twitter post.

Maybe he can reinvent himself under a new medium.

SPOT ON.
Decent reporter in his day but never moved with the sign of times, possibly got a bit complacent in his senior role at The Argus.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here