Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Andy Naylor is leaving

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Andy Naylor or Brian Owen were both up for redundancy were they not and presumably Andy Naylor jumped ship and ensured there was no head count reduction.

Yes, nothing to do with the salary increase and reduced workload, I'm sure.

Do they? State frankly, on public record, that their whole business plan is based on putting local operations out of business? Bullshit.

Lol good lord, our entire system of business enterprise is based on taking market share away from local business rivals. Have you ever taken an Uber? Ordered anything from Amazon? :)

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;9019558 said:
Such typical American business man's mentality - and they often don't see it as wrong. I've had to deal with a few over here in CR and their approach is extremely cut throat.

The Argus is owned by Americans and has been for a number of years now?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Yes, nothing to do with the salary increase and reduced workload, I'm sure.

What happened first ? Newsquest workforce reduction or The Athletic recruitment drive ? Genuine question as I do not know

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
What happened first ? Newsquest workforce reduction or The Athletic recruitment drive ? Genuine question as I do not know

The redundancy issue was resolved during the last season and did not involve AN.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Newsquest are killing themselves anyway and have been for some time. Andy Naylor or Brian Owen were both up for redundancy were they not and presumably Andy Naylor jumped ship and ensured there was no head count reduction.

I believe one of Mike Legg or Brian Owen was for the chop so AN walking the plank not only saved one of them but allowed them to take on Adam Stenning, a graduate of the University of Brighton's sports journalism degree course. So from that point of view everybody wins.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Nasty.

If I was to rely on the Athletic though, I still wouldn’t know we’d signed Maupay 24 hours on.

They're not claiming to report day-to-day news/activity though, are they? Isn't that the whole point - the journalists have been recruited to write longer, more in-depth articles and are able to do so because they don't have that requirement of generating content every day and breaking news.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
They're not claiming to report day-to-day news/activity though, are they? Isn't that the whole point - the journalists have been recruited to write longer, more in-depth articles and are able to do so because they don't have that requirement of generating content every day and breaking news.

Yes. I would see the Athletic output as complimentary to the day to day output of the nationals and local media outlets. A sort of wider scope 442 type articles.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
I believe one of Mike Legg or Brian Owen was for the chop so AN walking the plank not only saved one of them but allowed them to take on Adam Stenning, a graduate of the University of Brighton's sports journalism degree course. So from that point of view everybody wins.

Surely something similar will be happening/has happened at tens of newspaper offices up and down the country. Whilst The Athletic may be very disruptive to the local newspaper business, it has also presented a huge one-off opportunity for newer/up-and-coming sports journalists nationwide.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Having read a couple of bits and bobs of Naylor's new stuff I've got to admit I am a little put off by it.

He's clearly a very good reporter, his work on the Albion has kept the Argus ahead of the curve and has been a valuable source of information. However, is his style suited to long form? If you compare it to something like this https://www.theblizzard.co.uk/article/setting-sun from The Blizzard (which made me cry) you have got to say that Naylor's short paragraphs of two Hollywood statements comes up painfully short. It is all very tabloid-y and perhaps this will work for an American audience that doesn't have that emotional investment in the clubs themselves but for me, I don't want to pay a subscription fee for what is essentially Argus coverage with a vaguer focus.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Surely something similar will be happening/has happened at tens of newspaper offices up and down the country. Whilst The Athletic may be very disruptive to the local newspaper business, it has also presented a huge one-off opportunity for newer/up-and-coming sports journalists nationwide.

I certainly hope so. But more likely a postponement of the next round of redundancies ...

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Having read a couple of bits and bobs of Naylor's new stuff I've got to admit I am a little put off by it.

He's clearly a very good reporter, his work on the Albion has kept the Argus ahead of the curve and has been a valuable source of information. However, is his style suited to long form? If you compare it to something like this https://www.theblizzard.co.uk/article/setting-sun from The Blizzard (which made me cry) you have got to say that Naylor's short paragraphs of two Hollywood statements comes up painfully short. It is all very tabloid-y and perhaps this will work for an American audience that doesn't have that emotional investment in the clubs themselves but for me, I don't want to pay a subscription fee for what is essentially Argus coverage with a vaguer focus.

Once the season begins there'll be more to comment on and have opinions about. Give the guy a chance.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach

The Argus has been cutting back for years. They had what, 3 editions a day and located right in the centre of Brighton 30 odd years ago. Moved off up to Hollingbury with a trance of lay offs. Then must be 10 years ago they closed down their entire Brighton print works and moved to Soton i think. Mate of mine was an electrical engineer, kept the presses running and he got the shove then.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
The Argus has been cutting back for years. They had what, 3 editions a day and located right in the centre of Brighton 30 odd years ago. Moved off up to Hollingbury with a trance of lay offs. Then must be 10 years ago they closed down their entire Brighton print works and moved to Soton i think. Mate of mine was an electrical engineer, kept the presses running and he got the shove then.

They've moved back to central Brighton now. But it was for cost-cutting reasons.

I hope this whole thing doesn't lead to more personal brand-based journalism. There's always room for the personal but it's the stories wot matter, writers are a vital but incidental part of that. I can foresee anyone with delusions of importance and an iPhone getting louder on social in the hope of catching the next big contract. Grump grump

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Once the season begins there'll be more to comment on and have opinions about. Give the guy a chance.

Well this is the problem with writing behind a paywall isn't it? There isn't room to give him a chance, you can only read so much without committing to a subscription so that taster bit has to really draw you in.

My point, though perhaps made a little harshly, was that his work as a first responding reporter has always been top. The news is on the button and communicates exactly what is going on. However, The Athletic appears to be focused less on breaking news and more on long-form, in-depth pieces. This is obviously newer territory for Naylor, and perhaps I will be wrong, but from the little evidence of what's in front of the paywall and his "Nailed-it" comment pieces, I would need some convincing that The Athletic was offering Brighton fans something worth the entry fee.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here