Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Andy Murray

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Shame to see him him struggle again against Wawrenka.who is older than him. Surely Wimbledon will be his last tournament

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
Just chatting to my mate and we said the same thing. It makes me a bit sad seeing the best Brit in my lifetime playing like most of the Brits in my lifetime.

The Colonel

Sep 4, 2023
I know what people mean when they say it's sad to see him playing well below what he was before, but I actually respect him more as a result as it shows how much he clearly loves tennis. The easy option would have been to retire four or five years ago but he's simply born to compete. He's a pure winner.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
He should have retired when his hip first went. Damaging his legacy by playing on.
Rubbish. To come back after his injury and win a minor title in 2023 is remarkable.

"Murray rallied to win his first title since 2019 at the ATP Challenger event in Aix-en-Provence after clinching a 2-6, 6-1, 6-2 victory over top seed Tommy Paul".

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
Rubbish. To come back after his injury and win a minor title in 2023 is remarkable.

"Murray rallied to win his first title since 2019 at the ATP Challenger event in Aix-en-Provence after clinching a 2-6, 6-1, 6-2 victory over top seed Tommy Paul".
Poppycock. To keep ploughing on as a shadow of the player you used to be doesn't warrant respect, it just shows you don't know when the game is up. Other players have come back from bad injuries and got back to the top like Agassi, Djokovic and Serena Williams won Wimbledon after taking a year out ranked 200+, but they knew they still had alot left in the tank, I don't see what Murray feels he is trying to prove. The only reason I can think is he is getting appearance money to put bums on seats on the outer courts

Just like Ali and Tyson kept going on and on losing to bums

Last edited:

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
Poppycock. To keep ploughing on as a shadow of the player you used to be doesn't warrant respect, it just shows you don't know when the game is up. Other players have come back from bad injuries and got back to the top like Agassi, Djokovic and Serena Williams won Wimbledon after taking a year out ranked 200+, but they knew they still had alot left in the tank, I don't see what Murray feels he is trying to prove. The only reason I can think is he is getting appearance money to put bums on seats on the outer courts

Perhaps he likes playing tennis?

5Ways Gull

È quello che è
Feb 2, 2009
Fiveways, Brighton

He's beaten good players, Berettini isn't a bum and he's beaten him a couple of time recently.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
He should have retired when his hip first went. Damaging his legacy by playing on.

Nah, his legacy will remain what he won, not the games he's since lost, and if he enjoys playing still then it's good he does.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Michael Schumacher coming back and being crap with Mercedes didn’t take away from his seven world titles, did it?

It might make them a slightly comic figure at the time but once everything comes out in the wash of history he’s not remembered for that, he’s remembered for winning multiple world titles. Just as Andy Murray will be remembered for his Grand Slams, Davis Cup and Olympic golds, not losing yesterday.

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

I agree.

And when someone has done it all and continues to play for the love of competition I tip my hat to them.

Does "Cut the crap" damage the legacy of The Clash? No. I haven't ever listened to it and never will, but can't fault Strummer for having a go. I am content with the delights of many of the tracks on the other 5 albums.

Does our 11th place finish damage RDZ's legacy?

It's a funny old word, legacy. Even in politics, as Enoch Powell once noted, every (political) career ends in failure.

And in the long run we are all dead.

I think I'd better do some work. All this philosophy, today, is making me melancholic.

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
I agree.

And when someone has done it all and continues to play for the love of competition I tip my hat to them.

Does "Cut the crap" damage the legacy of The Clash? No. I haven't ever listened to it and never will, but can't fault Strummer for having a go. I am content with the delights of many of the tracks on the other 5 albums.

Does our 11th place finish damage RDZ's legacy?

It's a funny old word, legacy. Even in politics, as Enoch Powell once noted, every (political) career ends in failure.

And in the long run we are all dead.

I think I'd better do some work. All this philosophy, today, is making me melancholic.
Sorry these are not good examples, the point of discussion is around whether a sportsperson should continue playing despite being well past their sell by date. Musicians can re-invent themselves and football managers can rebuild their careers elsewhere

I'd have more respect if he was honest with himself and hung up his racquet at the right time. I believe he just wants the Wimbledon wild card pay day to draw crowds so they can throw him on centre court after the top players have finished.

Henman chucked it in when the injuries derailled his career and he knew he'd never be the same again as do most players

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
I thought this was the latest new manager thread.

Could do a job.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Sorry these are not good examples, the point of discussion is around whether a sportsperson should continue playing despite being well past their sell by date. Musicians can re-invent themselves and football managers can rebuild their careers elsewhere

I'd have more respect if he was honest with himself and hung up his racquet at the right time. I believe he just wants the Wimbledon wild card pay day to draw crowds so they can throw him on centre court after the top players have finished.

Henman chucked it in when the injuries derailled his career and he knew he'd never be the same again as do most players
So you think he has destroyed his 'legacy' (my point of contention). That was what I was arguing against. Not whether he is ill advised to continue playing. My argument is it is irrelevant. Could get embarrassing, but have we not all been embarrassing at one point or other? For me it is a question of how many times a day.

Perhaps we have a different concept of legacy. For me, if it means anything at all, it means a body of achievement we can all marvel at. No more no less.

If on the other hand you think legacy means his position in the pantheon of the patriotic narrative, demigod, or at very least a human being on whose life we can model our own, saintly and profound, my answer to that is............. bollocks.

I'm still part of the Johnny Rotten school of hero worship. :wink:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Having been to Dunblane, on account of having an uncle who lives there, I can only salute Andy Murray's decision to put off going to live back there as long as humanly possible :thumbsup:

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham

A sportsperson should continue playing until they no longer enjoy it, not when you say they should stop. Murray clearly enjoys playing tennis and he has earned the right to play as long as he wants to.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

Why do you think he is trying to prove anything? as l said in an earlier post maybe it's as simple as him just loving the game?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here