Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Andy Murray

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I have never been a fan of his after his comments about the England football team, but I have to say he does now seem to be a decent guy who is grafting very hard to keep playing the sport he loves. Fair play to him.

JOLovegrove

Jan 30, 2012
Before anyone else does it...

- Can he play at left back?
- We need to be spending 40 million on a striker, not an aging Scot.
- Does this mean we are selling Caicedo/Mac Allister/Mitoma ect...

blah blah blah.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
You're still upset over a joke he made nearly a decade and a half ago? OK.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
You're still upset over a joke he made nearly a decade and a half ago? OK.
If it's the "joke" where he went to watch Jamaica Vs England football friendly wearing a Jamaican replica shirt and supporting Jamaica - yeah, hilarious, my sides still hurt now!

It's an undocumented fact that Scots will support anyone playing against England, it's their heritage and culture, but many choose not to be quite so public about it.

I admire his sporting achievements, but I still think of him as Scottish first, British second [and a bit of a nob too]

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
More seriously. Murray is an incredible sportsman. Coming back like he has with his metal hip and winning brutal matches when most people will have been asleep for 5 hours already is ridiculous. It shows just how good the era of Rafa, Federer, novak and Murray was when the old boys can still beat the younger fellas when they are all on the decline.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
If it's the "joke" where he went to watch Jamaica Vs England football friendly wearing a Jamaican replica shirt and supporting Jamaica - yeah, hilarious, my sides still hurt now!

It's an undocumented fact that Scots will support anyone playing against England, it's their heritage and culture, but many choose not to be quite so public about it.

I admire his sporting achievements, but I still think of him as Scottish first, British second [and a bit of a nob too]
Think it was the one about Worthing. 😂

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
A few very weird things about this.

1 - If he did it, it would have been in 2006 and he would have been about 18 or 19. VERY ODD for a grown person to still be upset about a teenager clearing having a joke.
2 - I can't find ANY written or photo evidence on a quick google search that this happened. Not even a rumour came up.

The Anti-England thing people have about Andy Murray is so utterly bizarre. He made a joke, sat next to Tim Henman when asked who he wanted to win.

Anyway, what a player. For anyone who hasn't watched it, I'd highly recommend the documentary that followed him during all the operations/rehab and him not being sure if he'd carry on.

Last edited:

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Incredible stuff from our Andrew. Appreciate it’s only the Aussie Open, the least lauded of the four slams, with loads of mullet-wearing throwback boguns in the crowd, but regardless it’s still a fantastic physical achievement from him.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I have never been a fan of his after his comments about the England football team, but I have to say he does now seem to be a decent guy who is grafting very hard to keep playing the sport he loves. Fair play to him.
He's Scottish. Why would you expect him to want England to win anything?

Unbelievable sportsman who, I'll admit, I never expected to put in performances like last night after his surgeries.

Falmer Flutter ©

Feb 18, 2004
Petts Wood

1 - If he did it, it would have been in 2006 and he would have been about 18 or 19. VERY ODD for a grown person to still be upset about a teenager clearing having a joke.
2 - I can't find ANY written or photo evidence on a quick google search that this happened. Not even a rumour came up.

The Anti-England thing people have about Andy Murray is so utterly bizarre. He made a joke, sat next to Tim Henman when asked who he wanted to win.

Anyway, what a player. For anyone who hasn't watched it, I'd highly recommend the documentary that followed him during all the operations/rehab and him not being sure if he'd carry on.
It's mad how this story has grown to him now wearing a Jamaica shirt at an actual game. He's Scottish, a football fan (GGTTH), and was asked a question about supporting England during the 2006 World Cup. Why in god's name would he want England to win? I'd be more pissed off if he came out with some wishy-washy nonsense. Bloke's a legend.

5Ways Gull

È quello che è
Feb 2, 2009
Fiveways, Brighton
It's mad how this story has grown to him now wearing a Jamaica shirt at an actual game. He's Scottish, a football fan (GGTTH), and was asked a question about supporting England during the 2006 World Cup. Why in god's name would he want England to win? I'd be more pissed off if he came out with some wishy-washy nonsense. Bloke's a legend.
Yes he absolutely is a legend.

I thought it was about the Paraguay game in the 06 WC. Also think it was all a bit of banter with Tim Henman which got reported and got out of hand. I could be wrong.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

Yeah, that's bullshit.

"A little like the Chinese whispers game, this story began to grow in its complexity, with claims that Murray was buying a Paraguay shirt ahead of their World Cup game against England pure fabrication and yet that didn’t stop those who wanted to believe Andy was anti-English to let their agenda run wild." (From: https://www.tennis365.com/kevin-pal...t-england-joke-taught-him-his-biggest-lesson/)

If you're going to repeat a made-up anecdote @Shropshire Seagull, at least get the details right :lol:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Like 'Call Me Dave' who knew he supported a team that played in claret and blue but wasn't sure if it was Wet Sham or Luxury Villa.

Now that is what a tit looks like.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I had given you a thumbs up, but then I took it away. Call be a heartless bastard. :shrug:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here