Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Andy Murray **** World No.1 ***

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Well played Andy! :bowdown:

Murray's crowning legacy will be to once and for all put to bed people banging about Fred bloody Perry who won Wimbledon in 1936.

The TRUE test of legend status will be if school kids in 2056 are wearing 8-hole docs, black sta-prest trousers, a red Harrington jacket and an Andy Murray t-shirt.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Probably the greatest British sportsman of the last 20-25 years, since Redgrave.

Very difficult to compare across different sports - I'd argue Beckham was greater when in his pomp. Maybe Nigel Mansell, Carl Fogarty, Bradley Wiggins, Kevin Pietersen, Jonny Wilkinson, Lennox Lewis - while at the top of their game, all these sportsmen were "greatest" in their moment - in the last 20-25 years - right now it's AM's turn but in 10 years time I fully expect us to be heralding another sportsman as "the greatest British sportsman of the last 20-25 years".

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Very difficult to compare across different sports - I'd argue Beckham was greater when in his pomp. Maybe Nigel Mansell, Carl Fogarty, Bradley Wiggins, Kevin Pietersen, Jonny Wilkinson, Lennox Lewis - while at the top of their game, all these sportsmen were "greatest" in their moment - in the last 20-25 years - right now it's AM's turn but in 10 years time I fully expect us to be heralding another sportsman as "the greatest British sportsman of the last 20-25 years".

With respect, you've gone wrong. The UK, pre-Murray, only ever banged on about Fred Perry and the England 1966 World Cup team. The Fred Perry thing's been put firmly to rest by Andy Murray, the England football thing doesn't look like being put to rest anytime soon. None of the rest really count at all. 'Carl Fogarty'? SA national Kevin Pietersen? Oh, PLEASE! Word with yourself? ???

Geestar

Nov 6, 2012
Shoreham Beach
Wilko no.1 British sportsman.

Won a world cup on foreign soil and lead the team to number 1 world ranking, over the All Blacks.

Yes the whole team was great but without Wilko.....

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
With respect, you've gone wrong. The UK, pre-Murray, only ever banged on about Fred Perry and the England 1966 World Cup team. The Fred Perry thing's been put firmly to rest by Andy Murray, the England football thing doesn't look like being put to rest anytime soon. None of the rest really count at all. 'Carl Fogarty'? SA national Kevin Pietersen? Oh, PLEASE! Word with yourself? ???

Disagree - when England won the Ashes in 2005 all the kids I was coaching at the time wanted to be either KP or Freddie.
Fred Perry - maybe the last British greatest in the Tennis world - but most kids today wouldn't have a clue who he was.
I don't get why you said "Probably the greatest British sportsman of the last 20-25 years" and then proceeded to talk about FP & 1966, both of which are > 20-25 years ago - have you been on the sauce?

It's all about the current moment - and there have been many British achievements in the last 20-25 years - AM is just the most recent.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Quite right. Tennis is a popular world wide sport, and Murray is well known across the world. Redgrave, and a lot of the names mentioned by Shropshire seagull are mainly known in the UK. Lennox Lewis would maybe be on the same level, but even here, Fury and Joshua have recently won world heavyweight titles.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Wow. Well done Murray. I don't know much about tennis but he seems to be the utter epitome of dedication, perseverance, professionalism and above all talent.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
The TRUE test of legend status will be if school kids in 2056 are wearing 8-hole docs, black sta-prest trousers, a red Harrington jacket and an Andy Murray t-shirt.

So, to become a Sporting legend he has to also set up a Sports Clothing business?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
cf4afac9410f7440943a70a7fdcaf7aac9a6adf2ef5d33e47cc94bafdbad2c88.jpg

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

Are you insane? Beckham wasn't even the best British player in United's midfield 'in his pomp' let alone the best British sportsman.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
100% correct, an average performer at best. His PR crew on the other hand........

He's a great looking guy and (from my sources at OT) a very nice bloke too. Superbly managed and marketed, and good luck to him for that. Worked very hard at his game too, never shirked training, always tried his best. I was at OT for the England v Greece WC qualifier in 2001, and he was by far the best England player in that match, and scored an iconic goal (people forget it was however a 2-2 draw at home against a Greek side that could not qualify for the WC).

But he is not a 'great' footballer. I few YouTube clips of some decent goals is a long way from greatness.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
I was at OT for the England v Greece WC qualifier in 2001, and he was by far the best England player in that match, and scored an iconic goal (people forget it was however a 2-2 draw at home against a Greek side that could not qualify for the WC).

Indeed. The other elements regarding this 'legendary' day were the amount of previous efforts from the golden booted kid off target and the fact that had we not managed this mighty draw result, then a play-off against the likes of Andorra Reserves was on the horizon.
DO still have my mint signed copy of his autobiog won in a comp though!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here