[Albion] Andy Madley today’s ref ..what think you?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Was ok apart from using VAR a bit too much. Assume on penalty saw Connelly on ground and checked with VAR to see what happened. Not his fault VAR made joke decision.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
I felt he was hung out to dry by VAR but I still like the way he runs the game in general. The little word to one of our players early on instead of stopping the game for a big "I am" speech. Difficult to subjectively rate a ref on decisions when it is your team and conditions made it a difficult one to ref but I like his general style.

I think it is quite telling that last week and this, we had the PL new boy refs and both were overturned with what seems to the neutrals as poor VAR decisions. I don't think the Shyster gets overturned for either of them.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Was ok apart from using VAR a bit too much. Assume on penalty saw Connelly on ground and checked with VAR to see what happened. Not his fault VAR made joke decision.
The referee doesn't use VAR at all - they instruct him. It isn't rugby where the ref can call for a check.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
The referee doesn't use VAR at all - they instruct him. It isn't rugby where the ref can call for a check.[/QUOTE
Never new that. Are you telling me if a ref is not 100% sure about something he cant ask VAR to look
VAR constantly monitor the game and will inform the ref if a decision needs changing. There is a two way dialogue so the ref can explain what he has seen but every decision is looked at regardless of the ref. Until yesterday, they gave a very heavy weighting to the ref's original decision.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Hard to disagree with what you say, I actually like Andy Madley as a ref, (he is far better than his brother Bobby was), and was a somewhat 'lucky' ref for us back in our Championship days, when we seemed to win a lot of games when he was officiating.

Was a little bit over reliant on his whistle yesterday l thought, and looked a little bit rusty somehow, doesn't get to referee many Premier League games l guess.

Only his third Premier League match this year

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I thought he was decent.

This. It was an absorbing if frustrating game yesterday, and the last thing on my mind was the performance of the ref. As someone who never ever celebrated a goal immediately, being a cerebral intellect, rather than an over-excitable shaven monkey, I'm relaxed about VAR, and have to commend the ref for following the new instruction and taking note when the man in Jack Hargreaves' shed, with the replay monitor and the tin of Ogden's Nutgone Flake says 'hang on a minute, son, that is a penalty'.

But now I know it was one of the celebrity refs I will of course condemn him as shitehouse.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
VAR constantly monitor the game and will inform the ref if a decision needs changing. There is a two way dialogue so the ref can explain what he has seen but every decision is looked at regardless of the ref. Until yesterday, they gave a very heavy weighting to the ref's original decision.

They are constantly monitoring the match, but they can only interfere in four situations: red card, goal, mistaken identity and penalty decisions.

https://www.premierleague.com/VAR
https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11661/11777969/var-in-the-premier-league-the-ultimate-qa

For objective situations they can inform the ref of errors (and they are not subject to a clear and obvious test). For subjective situations (eg fouls, penalties) the ref explains what he saw that led to his decision, the VAR can then advise him if what he saw happened or not. The VAR doesn't make a judgement as to whether the ref's decision is right or wrong, just if what he based his decision on actually happened. For our penalty yesterday it is most likely that he thought, like many of us did, that Connelly slipped so no penalty, the VAR will have advised him actually there was contact. The final decision always rests with the onfield ref.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
They are constantly monitoring the match, but they can only interfere in four situations: red card, goal, mistaken identity and penalty decisions.

https://www.premierleague.com/VAR
https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11661/11777969/var-in-the-premier-league-the-ultimate-qa

For objective situations they can inform the ref of errors (and they are not subject to a clear and obvious test). For subjective situations (eg fouls, penalties) the ref explains what he saw that led to his decision, the VAR can then advise him if what he saw happened or not. The VAR doesn't make a judgement as to whether the ref's decision is right or wrong, just if what he based his decision on actually happened. For our penalty yesterday it is most likely that he thought, like many of us did, that Connelly slipped so no penalty, the VAR will have advised him actually there was contact. The final decision always rests with the onfield ref.

Well yes. No way I could be arsed to type all of that though. Especially as it has been touted non stop for the first month of the season.

Not sure about the final decision being with the onfield ref though as they don't use the little TV. That was supposed to be the plan but it doesn't happen so if the on field ref can't watch it back, they are very unlikely to reject what they are told.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Stopped the game when advantage could be played, too often. Didn’t send the Everton player off for a reckless challenge towards the end.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Well yes. No way I could be arsed to type all of that though. Especially as it has been touted non stop for the first month of the season.

Not sure about the final decision being with the onfield ref though as they don't use the little TV. That was supposed to be the plan but it doesn't happen so if the on field ref can't watch it back, they are very unlikely to reject what they are told.

I think in theory it's supposed to be for example "it's not a slip, Keane treds on Connolly's foot" and the ref then decides if with this more accurate info he thinks it's a foul. In practice I imagine it's more of a conversation, and the VAR will give the ref his opinion, but couch it in a 'but it's your call' sort of tone. Then it becomes a technicality. Yesterday the ref was going to give us a throw, the lino gave it to everton, the ref then changed his mind and gave it to everton. It was still the ref that gave it, but on the lino's advice.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports