Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Andy Jacobs TalkSport rant about Brighton (and their fans)

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I don't mind H&J, to be honest – and that video pretty much sums him up. He plays the grumpy old man schtick down to a tee. In isolation, however, it can be taken 'out of context'. Yes, there's a bit of hyperbole in there, but that's radio all over, let's face it!

To be honest, he's got a point. Cucu and Bissouma aren't exactly pulling up trees and – rightly or wrongly – there is a lot about the club in the media at the moment. I'm sure he's not the only fan of Chelsea, Liverpool or any other 'big' club who is getting irked by little old Albion hogging the spotlight.

Also, I would imagine that yes, as a Chelsea fan, he is getting a LOAD of abuse from Brighton fans who probably are arrogant. Let's face it, there's a bit of it creeping in here – if you search hard enough, I'm pretty sure you could find some 'We should be beating teams like...' posts from recent weeks that are written without a hint of irony.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I don't mind H&J, to be honest – and that video pretty much sums him up. He plays the grumpy old man schtick down to a tee. In isolation, however, it can be taken 'out of context'. Yes, there's a bit of hyperbole in there, but that's radio all over, let's face it!

To be honest, he's got a point. Cucu and Bissouma aren't exactly pulling up trees and – rightly or wrongly – there is a lot about the club in the media at the moment. I'm sure he's not the only fan of Chelsea, Liverpool or any other 'big' club who is getting irked by little old Albion hogging the spotlight.

Also, I would imagine that yes, as a Chelsea fan, he is getting a LOAD of abuse from Brighton fans who probably are arrogant. Let's face it, there's a bit of it creeping in here – if you search hard enough, I'm pretty sure you could find some 'We should be beating teams like...' posts from recent weeks that are written without a hint of irony.
Well, we are beating teams like Chelsea, Liverpool, Everton, etc................
:smile:

Albion in the north

Jul 13, 2012
Ooop North
It just amazes me that clubs think that any player can automatically swap clubs and immediately slot into another team structure and hit the ground running. Cuc and Buss proved to be decent players with us. It’s not their fault that their new clubs can’t get them integrated.
Totally agree. To do that , theyd have to take the manager and all the coaching staff as well.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Well, we are beating teams like Chelsea, Liverpool, Everton, etc................
:smile:
That is true. However, Aston Villa, Leicester, Charlton (and possibly Bournemouth come Saturday)? Not so much...

NorthLainer

Aug 12, 2011
Now available in Hove

He does come across as a bitter old fool, but you are right - he does have a point. A large part of our success is due to the environment the club have managed to create around the players, from the tangible things like the facilities and staff to the intangible like the team spirit, honesty and 'no dickheads' rule. The trouble is that latter part of our set up just can't be replicated. Add to that the increase in expectations and it must be very difficult for players like Cucu and Biss (no sympathy here btw). Cucurella looked like he was playing with what I can only describe as joy when he was with us, he looks like a man playing with fear at Chelsea.

Last edited:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
A chelsea fan in any way shape or form criticising anything about BHAFC EVER is like Susan Boyle picking holes in Holly Willoughby.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I thought it was funny. He's bitter and twisted because of Potter and Cucu - which makes it even more amusing. That's the effect we're having on Chelsea and Arsenal fans at the moment. It's wonderful - and tongue-in-cheek.

Codner's Wallop

Sep 11, 2013
In the immortal words of the great Mr Wilde…

There‘s only one thing worse than being talked about, and that‘s NOT being talked about.

I’m loving all the attention. Let’s soak it up lads while it lasts…

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
It was very tongue in cheek and the arrogant comment was based on some of his Brighton supporting mates who he said had been winding him up (presumably about potter and cucurella not working out).

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
He does play the grumpy old man role, but to be fair he was never that convinced by Potter, didn’t want Tuchel to be sacked and is less impressed by the money thrown at Potter & Co & Cucurella - so quite rightly doesn’t want anymore of our highly rated players

He’s also pretty critical on Chelsea’s recruitment under Boehly
Always …and on that basis I couldn’t care a toss

Grizz

Jul 5, 2003
Mitoma, the next in the 'just passing through eleven' to leave. Have to admit that line made me proper laugh.

I don't think he's being that serious, sounds like he's got a couple of Brighton mates who are joyously ripping into Chelsea at the moment and why shouldn't they! Sounds more angry at the complete lack of direction of his own club than anything else.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here