Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Andy Hinchcliffe's top ten Championship players so far

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Stephens and Kayal have been more influential than Barton this season.
No defenders or keepers, very lazy picks.

How many games have you watched that do not involve BHA? How many games have you seen Barton play? This is not saying you are wrong but he will have seen more games than most who post on here plus he is an ex pro who knows a little about the game.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
How many games have you watched that do not involve BHA? How many games have you seen Barton play? This is not saying you are wrong but he will have seen more games than most who post on here plus he is an ex pro who knows a little about the game.

I don't disagree with the thrust of your post, but can you tell me how being an ex-pro from a decade ago somehow makes his opinion more valid? Football isn't rocket science. Anyone who has ever played the game can formulate an opinion on players.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Stumpy is right about Hinchcliffe though. He is no authority on the Championship, and I suspect that the only reason Sky have got him involved there is that he is not a big enough name, or good enough, to talk as an ex-player about the Premier League. It would be nice to have genuine Championship experts on the subject.
Steve Claridge anyone?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I don't disagree with the thrust of your post, but can you tell me how being an ex-pro from a decade ago somehow makes his opinion more valid? Football isn't rocket science. Anyone who has ever played the game can formulate an opinion on players.

The difference being that most wouldnt get paid for their opinion but he was a good pro so his opinion is probably valued by Sky rather than say Gerry Fell or John Crumplin. Adam Virgo proves the exception to the rule. I would think the opinion of an old manager like Holloway or Coppell would be more valid and relevant.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
The difference bein that most wouldnt get paid gor their opinion but he was a good pro so his opinion is probably valued by Sky rather than say Gerry Fell or John Crumplin. Adam Virgo proves the exception to the rule. I would think the opinion of an old manager like Holloway or Coppell would be more valid.

The opinions of people who have earned a living in the game are always going to be courted but that's because it's meaningless asking the opinion of someone you've never heard of. But this article just proves what a crock of shìt they often spout. A lazy lack of research is just that, regardless of whose opinion it is.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I love that people say "clearly he hasn't looked at the table".....yet if we were not top and his list was riddled with players from the top team, the exact same people would say "he's only picked them because they are at the top team".

Frankly, who cares. We are either working as a brilliant team with no shining individuals or we are still, somehow, completely under the radar. Both are fine by me.

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
You're clearly wrong. The fact that he last played in the Premier League over a decade ago is no indicator of his expertise of Championship players now. For all we know, he's been sitting on a beach in the intervening years.

He does commentary on Sky Football League games

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Having taken the time to look at his list, it's actually pretty good. Not much to argue there.

Very fashionable to slag off Barton but he has been excellent for Burnley.

Also, he is a very knowledgeable pundit as are a lot of Sky's Football League 'experts'. I imagine he has watched far more of each team* than, say, Brighton fans.

*because it's his job

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Having taken the time to look at his list, it's actually pretty good. Not much to argue there.
So 7 of the best 10 championship players are strikers, and it features no players from the only unbeaten team in the league sitting joint top, including arguably the best central midfielder I have seen in my 35 years following the club, and there isn't much to argue about?

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Good! That means, despite being in the top three all season, we're still below the radar. Proceed as before chaps. Tally-Ho!

Spot on. If people don't know about Kayal or Stephens or any other of our excellent squad, the longer we'll keep it together.

Besides, there will never be a headline of "Ex-pro in doesn't actually know anything about football shocker" because so few ex-pros know anything at all.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
So 7 of the best 10 championship players are strikers, and it features no players from the only unbeaten team in the league sitting joint top, including arguably the best central midfielder I have seen in my 35 years following the club, and there isn't much to argue about?

Being unbeaten does not mean you have any of the best individuals. It's a great indication of our team that we don't rely on a prolific goalscorer or wing wizard, yet are where we are.

Greece won Euro 2004. None of their players were in the best (I'd say) 50 in the tournament.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
So 7 of the best 10 championship players are strikers,

Let's name who are, arguably, the best players in the world at the moment

Messi, Ronaldo, Neymar, ibrahimovic, Lewandowski..

Strikers/attackers get the plaudits generally. It's not something new.

Also, in a list pinpointing individuals, players who can change a game and are arguably dragging their team on despite being poor (unlike us) will always stand out.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

I wouldnt agree agree about Kayal yes he is good but not the best ever

Better than Horton Case Turner Mortimer Grealish that is a bold statement that he is the best ever.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I wouldnt agree agree about Kayal yes he is good but not the best ever

Better than Horton Case Turner Mortimer Grealish that is a bold statement that he is the best ever.
I only watched 3 games before 1983/1984 season, so didn't really see Horton. Not sure that Mortimer in 1986 was a better midfielder for us than Kayal is now! Case, hmmm, I'll give you that one!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here