Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Andy Hill - Shoreham Air disaster pilot still not interviewed

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Very misleading BBC piece. This initial report just deals with peripheral maintenance details and the fact that as in every crashed aircraft with ejection seats, there is a danger in dealing with un-fired seat cartridges.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Very misleading BBC piece. This initial report just deals with peripheral maintenance details and the fact that as in every crashed aircraft with ejection seats, there is a danger in dealing with un-fired seat cartridges.

There's been quite a lot of misleading reporting from ill informed sources, the rubbish about the Red Arrows 'refusing annual requests' because it's 'too dangerous' was a particular low light. Read a quote this morning that they wouldn't fly at Shoreham as there's nowhere 'safe to crash' - Newsflash, you can't safely crash a plane....

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
There's been quite a lot of misleading reporting from ill informed sources, the rubbish about the Red Arrows 'refusing annual requests' because it's 'too dangerous' was a particular low light. Read a quote this morning that they wouldn't fly at Shoreham as there's nowhere 'safe to crash' - Newsflash, you can't safely crash a plane....

Tend to agree about misleading reporting however, the reference to 'safe to crash' is surely meant to relate to be able to put down a stricken craft away from built up areas. Not sure why that wouldn't apply to Shoreham when you consider to the north are the downs and countryside and to the south, the sea! Can't be any worse than a place like Farnborough.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Tend to agree about misleading reporting however, the reference to 'safe to crash' is surely meant to relate to be able to put down a stricken craft away from built up areas. Not sure why that wouldn't apply to Shoreham when you consider to the north are the downs and countryside and to the south, the sea! Can't be any worse than a place like Farnborough.

I guess there is enough space at Farnborough, not sure. The thing is though, the Red Arrows fly fast(ish) jets, they need a huge area to display in, you can't get away from the fact that Lancing and Shoreham are smack bang in the middle of that area and hence they can't display here. A single jet needs far less space, so the Hunter, along with Sea Vixen, Strikemaster, Typhoon etc etc are able to display.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Some understatement !

He had permission to fly as low as 100 feet and perform stunts as low as 500 feet. I only have two questions.

1 How often is this ignored at airshows ?
2 Who is accountable for monitoring and reporting on breaches ?

This is the whole point of Health and Safety and what do we get ? A huge fuss and expense over so much trivial nonsense. This needs to be addressed.

1) :shrug:
2) :shrug:

I will argue that I can see three questions, but I agree with the sentinment.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Perhaps because as they said on that very news piece the flight was logged but no issues resulted. I guess now theyve established it was the same pilot theyve decided to inveatigate. It may be that they have been looking at it for a while though as they made clear that the families of those involved at shoreham are aware of it so it could be that they have only gone public today

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here