Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Andy Gray on Messi not being good enough for the premier league..

Marc1901

Peace out.
Apr 26, 2009
The Championship.
If Ronaldo is capable why won't Messi? It is a physical and tough league compared to La Liga though and Messi being the size he is he will probably get knocked all over the place.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Andy Gray talks total shit so hardly an opinion worth taking seriously.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Even by Andy Gray's shit standards that's a piss-poor assessment.

churley1

Oct 13, 2009
Bogota
He single handedly destroyed Arsenal not long ago, short memory from AG there...

He's Scottish anyway therefore knows f*ck all about good football.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Good enough? Absolutely.
Instant hit? Possibly not - he might need a season to get used to being kicked up in the air by no-nonsense types.

Like any Premiership neutral, it would be great to see him take the challenge, although leaving Barca for any English club would in all honesty be a step down, albeit a minor one.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
If you want proof that Andy Gray is nothing but a glorified big-screen football pub bore here it is: he claims one of the World's best players is not good enough for the Premiership ..... and justifies it with the tired cliche about foreigners and cold Tuesdays up North.

I really do not think Messi or La Liga will loose much sleep over this.

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
Andy Gray is pure waffle these days, completely taken over by his self importance. Messi would be as amazing in England as he is in Spain, assuming you can get players to get on his wavelength. This is why he has taken a while to shine in the Argentina set up, until recently they couldn't tune into his movement or pace. They are getting there now.
Andy Gray is also a Man U fawner. Pathetic!

TNBA

TTF.

Robdinho

Jul 26, 2004
It is a physical and tough league compared to La Liga though and Messi being the size he is he will probably get knocked all over the place.

Similarly diminutive players like Juninho and Zola seemed to manage ok in the Premiership.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Said purly to drive publicity and exposure etc.

Sure maybe saying wouldn't be as effective, but he'd still be in the top 5 players in the world playing here, just in Spanish style of football he's better suited (esp. Barca) and thus number 1

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Similarly diminutive players like Juninho and Zola seemed to manage ok in the Premiership.

Ardiles was small, skilful and Argentinian and excelled 30 years ago on FAR worse pitches than the bowling greens we have today. Gray is a cock who has "winged it" for the best part of 20 years. He has no insight, only experience as a player a long time ago.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Some excellent examples mentioned earlier to prove the point.

I think the bigger question is whether Andy Gray is good enough to comment on the Premier League.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I wonder what Michael Robinson makes of these comments from Gray.

Shinbreath

Nov 1, 2008
Hove...
To say that Messi couldn't cut it in the Prem is a totally ridiculous statement to make... He is a world class player.. FACT..

But would he achieve the God like status he has if he was playing in the Prem which has more teams of a higher standard ?

Lets face it, there are only really 3 or 4 teams which would make a dent in the Prem. (Barca, Real Madrid, Atletic Bilbao and Atlectio Madrid.. In my opinion)

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Winged it is right. I imagine Andy Gray is one of those people who never wants to have a day off sick in his life. Because when he does, questions will be asked as to why some stand-in can do 10 times better on a fraction of the salary.

A classic case of 'the man in possession keeping the shirt'. When will broadcasters realise that not everyone is so stupid they can't realise when pundits are just filling air, and not actually saying anything new. This Messi statement is absurd, even if it might take him a while to adjust. As it did for Bergkamp, Zola, Ronaldo etc etc etc.

Robdinho

Jul 26, 2004
Lets face it, there are only really 3 or 4 teams which would make a dent in the Prem. (Barca, Real Madrid, Atletic Bilbao and Atlectio Madrid.. In my opinion)

Putting it the other way around then, how would a middling Prem team like, say, Blackburn or Stoke get on in La Liga? Would they be up challenging for the title? This is a genuine question btw, I don't get to watch Spanish football so have no real idea what the standard is like outside the Barce/Real duopoly.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Well in that Articla, he doesn't actually say he isn't good enough, just that ” The Argentine would struggle in a cold night at the Britiannia Stadium”.. Which he would. La Liga provides much mure time and space than the Premier League and the way he took apart Arsenal is just an example of him being afforded time and space against a team that plays in a very spanish way.

As for Ronaldo, he definately would not be anywhere near the player he is now if he hadn't been in the Premier League. I mean, he's a mountain of a man now, far from the stringy litle thing he was when he arrived. Its his strength that takes him above just wildly skilful.

However, Messi would clearly cut it in the Premier League and Gray is much like Hanson, Lawrenson and many other pundits. Their experience of football is 20 years out of date and have long become parodies of themselves. Hansons ripping apart of Walcott of his hat-trick being a prime example, Lawrenson refusing ot enjoy any of the football he is PAID to watch etc etc.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here