Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Andrew Crofts

oufc90

Nov 14, 2023
Hi all, Oxford fan here. We're currently managerless after Manning defected to Bristol City. Plenty of chat from a few ITK posters on our forum that Crofts is right in the mix to be our next boss having impressed in the interviews. What do you know about him? Is he likely to play the same sort of style as you, and is he thought of as someone who will take the step up to manage?

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
very highly respected here having played for and captained the club over two spells, then moved up the ranks from youth coach to first team coach. Got a lot of credit for being one of the very few members of the coaching staff who didn't jump ship when Potter left for Chelsea

De Zerbi definitely likes him and I imagine has imprinted a lot of his coaching DNA onto him so I'd expect him to play a similar way

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
He can't dance.

HCxUK

Apr 18, 2014
That's interesting... Crofts has been with the first team since Potter left, he was actually supposed to be caretaker manager for a game vs Bournemouth, supported by Lallana, before everything was postponed due to the Queen's death.

He seems to be very involved on match days on the touchline along with RDZ and Maldera, and features prominently in training videos, as you'd expect a first team coach to be.

Other posters will know more about how our U21s/U23s performed under him, but we have a very aligned style of football between all age groups so expect possession based football. He's worked closely with De Zerbi for over a year now, and De Zerbi wouldn't have kept him so close to the first team if Crofts hadn't bought into his vision.

But you never know, he could be crap...

Last edited:

The Colonel

Sep 4, 2023
You only get a gig in the team of a quality manager like RDZ if you know your stuff and buy into his way of playing which Crofts clearly does. I hope he stays but wish him well if he goes. Oxford is a great job for any young coach right now.

Last edited:

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
That's interesting... Crofts has been with the first team since Potter left, he was actually supposed to be caretaker manager for a game vs Bournemouth, supported by Lallana, before everything was postponed due to the Queen's death.

He seems to be very involved on match days on the touchline along with RDZ and Maldera, and features prominently in training videos, as you'd expect a first team coach to be.

Other posters will know more about how our U21s/U23s performed under him, but we have a very aligned style of football between all age groups so expect possession based football. He's worked closely with De Zerbi for over a year now, and De Zerbi wouldn't have kept him so close to the first team if Crofts hadn't bought into his vision.

But you never know, he could be crap...
The OP doesn't really need to know too much more than this^

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
Hi all, Oxford fan here. We're currently managerless after Manning defected to Bristol City. Plenty of chat from a few ITK posters on our forum that Crofts is right in the mix to be our next boss having impressed in the interviews. What do you know about him? Is he likely to play the same sort of style as you, and is he thought of as someone who will take the step up to manage?
Our academy teams and development squad are geared to play the same tactics as the first team. The idea being that they want the youngsters to be familiar with how the first team play so they'll be comfortable if they ever get called up. This means the coaches have to be well versed on the first team tactics. You can never tell how this will translate for a coach if they go it alone, but Crofts has worked with Potter and De Zerbi, so will understand their tactics well.

My opinion is that he will make a very good first team coach somewhere, but I would imagine there will be a bedding in period for anyone taking their first job.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
I hope for our sake he doesn't get the job.

Bit sefish I know, but he's clearly rated highly by RDZ as well as by Barber/Bloom as he was getting the caretaker's job when Potter left.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ

They say a picture is worth a thousand words, so I give you:-
35-Taylor-Richards.jpg

This was November 2019. The player is Taylor Richards, a highly-rated lad who had spent five years developing through the academy at Manchester City. In the summer of 2019 he moved to Albion in the hope of breaking through into the first team. Andrew Crofts had re-joined the Albion that same summer in a new role as player-coach of the U-23 side.

On November 1 2019 the U-23s played at Southampton in a Premier League 2 fixture; Crofts was on the sidelines rather than on the pitch and Richards started. He provided one assist and then scored two very late goals (in the 3rd and 5th minutes of injury time) as Albion won 4-1. After scoring one of those goals, Richards instinctively sprinted to celebrate with .... Andrew Crofts. I have no idea exactly why, but it tells me everything I need to know about how he is regarded by the players he is responsible for (and he wasn't even their head coach at that point).

Last edited:

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
Why not? - I very much doubt he's on their recruitment team scouting for a bit of inside knowledge!

Anyway, as per post#9 he doesn't appear to be on the short list anyway.

I’d believe somebody who is apparently ITK with Oxford stuff on an Oxford forum over BetVictor and ‘SportingLife’

Not saying he’ll get the job, but that seems a pretty mental reason to shrug it off.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Why not? - I very much doubt he's on their recruitment team scouting for a bit of inside knowledge!

Post #9 refers to the betting odds - what has that got to do with the shortlist?

oufc90

Nov 14, 2023
Those odds are a bit of a nonsense and by all accounts Crofts interviewed and did well. Seems to be between him, Des Buckingham, Williams from Notts County and John Eustace.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I’d believe somebody who is apparently ITK with Oxford stuff on an Oxford forum over BetVictor and ‘SportingLife’

Not saying he’ll get the job, but that seems a pretty mental reason to shrug it off.
OK, so apparently you know somebody who is apparently ITK with Oxford stuff on an Oxford forum! So maybe the OP should believe anyone who is apparently ITK with Brighton stuff on a Brighton forum - NSC is the fount of all knowledge on all things after all! :lolol: :lolol:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Those odds are a bit of a nonsense and by all accounts Crofts interviewed and did well. Seems to be between him, Des Buckingham, Williams from Notts County and John Eustace.
Fair enough - I've already been told off for 'shrugging it off'! I'm just off to try to find a way to chastise the poster who posted post#9 in the first place who seems to have got off scot free!......................................... :wink:

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
OK, so apparently you know somebody who is apparently ITK with Oxford stuff on an Oxford forum! So maybe the OP should believe anyone who is apparently ITK with Brighton stuff on a Brighton forum - NSC is the fount of all knowledge on all things after all! :lolol: :lolol:

What the f*ck are you on about?

The original poster is an Oxford fan who has signed up to this forum based on posts on their forum from somebody who is apparently ITK.

I’m assuming that they’d have an idea who on their own forum is worth listening to.You’d have to be pretty silly to write the whole notion off because off an article listing the (out of date) odds from BetVictor.

Anything to get your post count up though, hey :rolleyes:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here