Andrea Orlandi - what a gent (and a beautiful man)

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Plus I don't care if it's emotive*, the way he talks about the club and the enthusiasm he shows on the pitch means something.

*before anyone says there's no place for being emotive or sentimental when making decisions about players........... really? If that's the case why on earth would you care about what happens to a football team you happen to have been born near to or live near?

I agree with this massively. It's why we all love Calde, isn't it?

Players that truly buy into the club and the area, or maybe get infected by it, are a class apart.

As others have said - Orlandi demonstrated it when we scored the winner at Forest when he legged it all the way across the pitch from the bench to celebrate. Getting wiped out by Kaz and then trying to sneak off to escape a booking added to the moment.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I get the value thing, but based on our wage structure etc, we are limited in our ability to attract skillful talented players. So to some extent we have to hedge and take risks players who have injuries.

Otherwise we will end up with a bunch of very young players supplemented by some old guys on their way out. (unless of course we can consistently manage to bag gems like Ulloa).

Based on his first season and the fact that he has managed to get back to fitness I think he would have been worth risking a contract.

Plus I don't care if it's emotive*, the way he talks about the club and the enthusiasm he shows on the pitch means something.

*before anyone says there's no place for being emotive or sentimental when making decisions about players........... really? If that's the case why on earth would you care about what happens to a football team you happen to have been born near to or live near?

I agree with this massively. It's why we all love Calde, isn't it?

Players that truly buy into the club and the area, or maybe get infected by it, are a class apart.

As others have said - Orlandi demonstrated it when we scored the winner at Forest when he legged it all the way across the pitch from the bench to celebrate. Getting wiped out by Kaz and then trying to sneak off to escape a booking added to the moment.

I don't disagree with any of this - clearly the 'value calculation' for Calde is based on more than just "wage v on-pitch contribution".

I really like Orlandi, as a player and as an individual - just setting out the reasons behind the decision, and why, even if its not the decision you'd have wanted to reach - that it is at least understandable.

The comparison with Calde is fair, but as I've said, their comparative wage levels are part of the 'value' calculation. (I've no idea what those figures are, but given their backgrounds, I'd expect that Orlandi's are significantly higher)

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I don't disagree with any of this - clearly the 'value calculation' for Calde is based on more than just "wage v on-pitch contribution".

I really like Orlandi, as a player and as an individual - just setting out the reasons behind the decision, and why, even if its not the decision you'd have wanted to reach - that it is at least understandable.

The comparison with Calde is fair, but as I've said, their comparative wage levels are part of the 'value' calculation. (I've no idea what those figures are, but given their backgrounds, I'd expect that Orlandi's are significantly higher)

I wonder what his thoughts would have been if they had offered him a new contract on say 2/3 of the original terms

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I wonder what his thoughts would have been if they had offered him a new contract on say 2/3 of the original terms

I too, have wondered this, and was discussing that very same possiblity with my (devastated) 13 year old, last night. You'd imagine that if there were a possiblity that he'd accept that, then he or his agent would have made it known? You'd hope so.

However - the Argus story reads as though he was in the same position as KLL - with a contract that included a one year option. If that were the case, then the terms were already agreed, and it was only for the club to either invoke or decline the option. If that's right, then offering something less may have not seemed possible :shrug:

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
I assume he is going for Money reasons?

Or the club think his Injury will only worsen next season?

at his best up there with the best of them for me. the goal he scored against Blackpool last season, one of my favourite Brighton goals of all time.

My all-time favourite fave of all time.
The goal he scored against Blackpool (With Spanish Dave)was a genuinely beautiful football moment. Everything he did had an element of class, although he could miss a sitter as well! He even ran like David Beckham..

Seconded, for a few seconds it really was "..just like watching Brazil". Extremely articulate guy with English probably better than mine. I recall when he was featured in the programme his current choice of reading was something like Roman and Greek myths and legends, probably in their original language!

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
I guess it's possible that he could still come back. There are two precedents for it, Navs and Spanish Dave.

It's sad as he wasn't a d1ckhead, loves Brighton, always put the effort in and is incredibly talented. Plus he had easily the best haircut.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
My all-time favourite fave of all time.
The goal he scored against Blackpool (With Spanish Dave)was a genuinely beautiful football moment. Everything he did had an element of class, although he could miss a sitter as well! He even ran like David Beckham..

That goal was just beautiful..........

Or the club think his Injury will only worsen next season?

I was thinking something along these lines earlier and went into a daydream:

I imagined Orlandi being told he was surplus to requirements because his injury would never allow him to play again, the club being ever so generous took him in the back of one of the Vans to the Ex Pr Footballer retirement homes, (A bit like the Greyhound ones).

On hearing the news Bozza posted a thread on here asking if anyone would "rescue" him and was overwhelmed with responses, so much so that we had to have a rota system to take care of him. Oh what fun we had in the park as we kicked a manky football, not to far, for him and his little face would light up as he ran as fast as his brittle legs would go to chase it, the look on his face as he came slowly back, smiling with tongue hanging out was such a joy to see.

Or we took him to vet and had him put down and stuffed.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I too, have wondered this, and was discussing that very same possiblity with my (devastated) 13 year old, last night. You'd imagine that if there were a possiblity that he'd accept that, then he or his agent would have made it known? You'd hope so.

However - the Argus story reads as though he was in the same position as KLL - with a contract that included a one year option. If that were the case, then the terms were already agreed, and it was only for the club to either invoke or decline the option. If that's right, then offering something less may have not seemed possible :shrug:

That makes sense

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts

That makes sense

I don't think they'd be anything under normal English contract law to prevent the club saying "Look, Andrea, we're not going to exercise our option but we would be interested in signing you for 66% of your existing wage. Are you interested?" The existing contract is up, the option isn't exercised, a new contract on different terms starts. No issues with that under law...

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I don't think they'd be anything under normal English contract law to prevent the club saying "Look, Andrea, we're not going to exercise our option but we would be interested in signing you for 66% of your existing wage. Are you interested?" The existing contract is up, the option isn't exercised, a new contract on different terms starts. No issues with that under law...

I agree.

I don't think it could really happen until after the existing contract (and with it the extension clause) had lapsed though.

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
Even my 8 year old looked puzzled when I told the boys that we may not be seeing Orlandi in the stripes again. They weren't really familiar with the name "Will Hoskins" though.....
It was tough explaining it all to my 14 year-old daughter. Her reactions to the various departures were along the lines of 'Kusczak - not as good as he was', 'Brezovan - well he hardly ever plays anyway', 'Hoskins - I thought he left last season', 'Spanish Dave - not really surprised', ' Spanish Rodney - not really any good' then the reaction to Orlandi 'What?!? How can they! That's not fair, it's really not fair' - then the tears started. It's going to take something special to get her over the dismissal of her very favourite player

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
I woke up this morning thinking it was all a horrible dream, that we hadn't really said goodbye to a talented footballer and all round good egg for the sake of a measly few grand a week.

Then reality hit.

I hate reality.

#bringbackorlandi

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury

Correct - the option lapses and there ceases to be a contractual arrangement and both parties are free to act as they see fit, with each other or with third parties.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports