Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Andi Zeqiri (Now Signed)

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
No, but that was possiby partly due to the sale not happening if we'd demanded any more from Blackburn upfront, maybe? There's not much money floating around in the Championship either.

League 2 strikers go for more than £2M? - when one of the best strikers in the Championship went for just £1M (OK, with add-ons, but still).
Ollie Watkins left Exeter for Villa for £6m if memory serves. If there was a 20 year old league two striker who’d banged in 30 goals they’d go for £2m wouldn’t they ? I follow oxford a bit and they’ve sold a load of defenders for about that much (league one , I give you ).
£2m for zequiri would be a good signing for someone . He was quite good

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Ollie Watkins left Exeter for Villa for £6m if memory serves. If there was a 20 year old league two striker who’d banged in 30 goals they’d go for £2m wouldn’t they ? I follow oxford a bit and they’ve sold a load of defenders for about that much (league one , I give you ).
Watkins left Exeter for Brentford for about £1.8 million (the fee is probably more now because of his sale to Villa and any add-ons Exeter had but at the time it was reported at about £1.8m). His move from Brentford to Villa was £28million with add ons that could take it to £33 million. His best league 2 season was 13 goals, which is what led Brentford to making a move.

£2 for Zeqiri seems like a bargain but a lot of leagues aren't flush with cash for transfers now so could represent the top end of what we could get for a player like him.

Last edited:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
With three seasons at Brentford in the Championship in between! But yes, fair enough, Brentford did pay something like that for him - but that's one player, 6 years ago, and outside the PL and a few big European clubs there's a lot less money around in the lower and smaller leagues since Covid.

As well as Gyokeres, we've sold three other decent players to Championship teams, and one to the SPL - and I don't thnk we got more than a million for any of them.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
As well as Gyokeres, we've sold three other decent players to Championship teams, and one to the SPL - and I don't thnk we got more than a million for any of them.
The sell on % is the critical part. I believe the Gyökeres sell on is substantial to say the least. That's the only way we get some of these deals done. Gyökeres was pretty underwhelming un until last season when he signed permanently, scoring about 1 in 5-6 games. Zeqiri is even more underwhelming despite improving this season, so a low-ish fee plus a sizeable sell on is the most likely way to get a deal done that suits all parties.

Getting a big fee up front for a player that's unproven at a seriously consistent level would have been a significant risk for the buyer, but whack on a 40% sell on fee and suddenly the transfer becomes significantly better for us if he ends up even half decent.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Like Khadra, I think Zeqiri has something because he's involved in the games he plays in. Jahanbakhsh had a habit of being totally anonymous and impossible to get on the ball, and I'm someone who liked him! Zeqiri and Khadra both were immediately and constantly involved in the games they played for the few minutes each.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Do sell on fees ever get to %40 .Good idea though .
Very rarely. 25% is seen as a very high sell-on. Don't think Gyökeres have a massive one - if I remember it right he had one year left on his contract. Difficult to ask them for 40% of his next transfer then.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here