Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

And the next England manager is?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
What does he need to have achieved do you think? Pep Guardiola hadn't managed at all before Barcelona.
I'd like someone who has either had success with a decent national team, or success with a decent club. I don't know much about Pep, and what he was like before he got the main job at Barca.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
If I were on the FA panel Eddie Howe would be my man for the job the same as I wanted him to be Albion manager before he went back to Bournemouth

The vast majority of the England squad are managed by international heavyweight managers like Mourinho, Wenger, Guardiola, Klopp - do you honestly think those same players are going to be inspired by the words of Eddie Howe?

Spurs players form a big contingent of the squad - they gubbed Bournemouth 5-1 and 3-0 last season.

IMHO the starting point for any England manager is are they a big enough personality to command the respect and attention of the players in the first place. For me, this pre-requisite automatically rules out the likes of Southgate, Howe, Pardew.

Overall, the man who ticks most boxes for me is Klinsmann - he's made the USA into a decent side, he did a good job with Germany from 2004-06, he's managed at Bayern, as a player he's won everything, he's played in the Prem with some success, he'll bring German tournament nous with him and he's only 51.

The only sticking point is he's German but looking at how well Aussies Eddie Jones and Trevor Bayliss have done with our rugby and cricket teams I really have no problem with that.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Glenn Hoddle would be my choice by a considerable margin.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Eddie Howe

**** me, the thought of that smug wanker being England manager makes me feel sick. Yes he is a very good manager at a small club but he is a smug wanker and I'd hate to see his smug face everywhere as England manager. Let him see out his career in the comfort zone that is Russian Bournemouth

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Smug Eddie is in his comfort zone at "plucky little Bournemouth" - look what happened when he stepped out of that little pond and tried his hand at Burnley. The very notion that he could take on the England job is ridiculous.

Allardyce is the best of a (mediocre) bunch for me. A pragmatic no-nonsense manager who would pick a squad and instill a defined playing style and shape whereby everyone knew their JOBS. We would play to our strengths. Its time to accept we are not Spain, or Italy, or Germany, or whoever the current flavour-of-the-month football team is to try and mimic. We our England. Our footballers are thicko's who need instruction and direction, and if anyone in Allardyce's team is not cutting it, he would NOT be indulged because of his big name and Nike sponsorship deals.

England are a shambles on and off the pitch. Muddled thinking has got us where we are now. We need a manager with clarity of thought and the authority to impose it on this shower of shit - get Allardyce in this afternoon. NOW.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
The thought of Allardyce as England Manager actually makes me feel sick, as much as I want the England manager to be English... just don't see this as the way forward.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Smug Eddie is in his comfort zone at "plucky little Bournemouth" - look what happened when he stepped out of that little pond and tried his hand at Burnley. The very notion that he could take on the England job is ridiculous.

Allardyce is the best of a (mediocre) bunch for me. A pragmatic no-nonsense manager who would pick a squad and instill a defined playing style and shape whereby everyone knew their JOBS. We would play to our strengths. Its time to accept we are not Spain, or Italy, or Germany, or whoever the current flavour-of-the-month football team is to try and mimic. We our England. Our footballers are thicko's who need instruction and direction, and if anyone in Allardyce's team is not cutting it, he would NOT be indulged because of his big name and Nike sponsorship deals.

England are a shambles on and off the pitch. Muddled thinking has got us where we are now. We need a manager with clarity of thought and the authority to impose it on this shower of shit - get Allardyce in this afternoon. NOW.

I absolutely see the logic in this post. England as a Wimbledon or Stoke is a sobering and depressing thought but our strengths are more in line with those two teams than the slick Barcelona, Madrid, Arsenal styles that we'd like to aspire to but can't pull off.

We need to come back as an upmarket Iceland :down:

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I have no faith in the F.A selecting the right man(whoever that may be) for the job.

There is clearly something wrong with the England set up. Previously we've blamed our failures and inadequate showings on several reasons, namely:

1) Players don't care enough, not enough pride.

2) They're over paid and too pampered.

3) They're not technically good enough.

4) Mentally not strong/good enough.

The success of Wales is a unique scenario that leads to some really interesting questions(IMO!). The Welsh team is made up of players who, like their English counterparts, have grown up with and in the premier league and football league. In the case of nine of those players they're even born and raised in England.

With that in mind we can't really put Wales's success and England's failure down to a question of innate national pride. If there is a difference in pride it must be down to something other than nationality. Which leads onto the over paid and over pampered claim. Wales star player is the most expensive footballer on Earth and plays for Real Madrid. That trumps any of the England squad and yet he is the exact opposite of the stereotypical over paid and over pampered prima donna. Wales's best performing player at the Euros has been Aaron Ramsey. Who plays for Arsenal. He should be a prime candidate for cruising through the tournament.

Numbers three and four can be put together. Seeing as the Welsh and English squads are drawn from the exact same pool there can be no real difference in technical or mental ability. In terms of technical ability with the exception of Bale and Ramsey you can argue that as a team and squad England are comfortably stronger.

So, Wales doing so well seems to disqualify our usual arguments why England fail. What else can it be? The manager? That seems unlikely. Coleman was hardly a stellar manager before the ales job and England have failed repeatedly under a succession of more qualified managers.

S what exactly is it that makes England such a basket case. What turns perfectly decent players into lethargic, uncoordinated serial losers when they play for England? How can Wales, with a group of players chosen from the exact same pool play with freedom and purpose while England look as if they'd rather be anywhere else but on the pitch. Is it an F.A cultural thing? Is it the press? The fans? What is it?!

The one constant in the endless stream of failure and misery has been the F.A. They have 'thorough reviews' after every tournament and nothing changes other than millions of pounds are wasted. That's why I don't trust them to get it right. They haven't done it before and I doubt they'll start doing it now.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
The FA are going to have a massive problem finding a manager that will improve things (and Hoddle won't). Part of the problem is the (false) belief that England has a team of world class players - it doesn't. Indeed with the slow decline of Rooney there isn't a single player in the English squad that is remotely close to the likes of Gareth Bale.

What England need is someone who can get the best out of a mediocre bunch of players - making the sum more than a combination of the parts. Allardyce has done that his entire career. I met Allardyce on several occasions when he was manager of my local team in Limerick. The clubs board signed the players for Limerick because Allardyce didn't have a clue about the League of Ireland, yet he managed to win the first division in his first season and get promotion. He was shrewd and a chancer who you wouldn't trust with your granny - but that is what made him as good as he is. His year in Limerick set him up to be a very successful manager in England and he has been the manager that has always got the best out of his players.

Since 2000 England have had -

the spoofer Eriksson,

McClaren - the man who hung on the coat tails of Fergie and couldn't manage on his own - and after England was sacked by Wolfsburg, Nottm Forest, Twente, Derby and Newcastle.

Capello - more interested in building his 'fine art' collection than actually working - he was sacked by Milan, done a runner out of Roma when the going got tough, got mired in scandal while at Juve, was sacked by Real before England appointed him and after he resigned from the England job he lasted two years in Russia before he got sacked there as well.

And Roy Hodgson - a man with a reputation built by the media but based on nothing - he has been a manager of mostly mickey mouse teams for 40 years - and the longest stint he has had in his career was the four years with England.

Allardyce won't make England world beaters - but you can be sure England won't be embarrassed under his leadership either.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
S what exactly is it that makes England such a basket case. What turns perfectly decent players into lethargic, uncoordinated serial losers when they play for England? How can Wales, with a group of players chosen from the exact same pool play with freedom and purpose while England look as if they'd rather be anywhere else but on the pitch. Is it an F.A cultural thing? Is it the press? The fans? What is it?!

One word. Expectation.

Wales are just happy to be there, anything else is a bonus. They could have bombed out in the group stage and still come home to cheering crowds at the airport, because they've not even been in a tournament for 60-odd years. That enables them to play without pressure. That's where their freedom comes from, because they're not really expected to do anything.

Its entirely different with England. Nobody expected us to go there and WIN it, but we did expect the team to perform, and to at least make it through to the latter stages. Our players simply cannot handle that pressure, they cannot handle that expectation, it terrifies them, it inhibits them. And when you put a muddled old duffer like Hodgson in charge, mumbling and bumbling his way through the games, you also have a lack of clarity and leadership.

That's why.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The FA are going to have a massive problem finding a manager that will improve things (and Hoddle won't). Part of the problem is the (false) belief that England has a team of world class players - it doesn't. Indeed with the slow decline of Rooney there isn't a single player in the English squad that is remotely close to the likes of Gareth Bale.

What England need is someone who can get the best out of a mediocre bunch of players - making the sum more than a combination of the parts. Allardyce has done that his entire career. I met Allardyce on several occasions when he was manager of my local team in Limerick. The clubs board signed the players for Limerick because Allardyce didn't have a clue about the League of Ireland, yet he managed to win the first division in his first season and get promotion. He was shrewd and a chancer who you wouldn't trust with your granny - but that is what made him as good as he is. His year in Limerick set him up to be a very successful manager in England and he has been the manager that has always got the best out of his players.

Since 2000 England have had -

the spoofer Eriksson,

McClaren - the man who hung on the coat tails of Fergie and couldn't manage on his own - and after England was sacked by Wolfsburg, Nottm Forest, Twente, Derby and Newcastle.

Capello - more interested in building his 'fine art' collection than actually working - he was sacked by Milan, done a runner out of Roma when the going got tough, got mired in scandal while at Juve, was sacked by Real before England appointed him and after he resigned from the England job he lasted two years in Russia before he got sacked there as well.

And Roy Hodgson - a man with a reputation built by the media but based on nothing - he has been a manager of mostly mickey mouse teams for 40 years - and the longest stint he has had in his career was the four years with England.

Allardyce won't make England world beaters - but you can be sure England won't be embarrassed under his leadership either.

Couldn't agree more.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Anyone but Harry Redknapp.

I heard that plonker Brazil on TalkShite this morning on about a Hoddle/Redknapp 'dream team', but also not being disappointed if they went for 'Big Sam'.

I'm not the most enthusiastic England supporter, but those three – in whichever combination – do NOTHING to help the cause.

Hoddle has been there, done that and now tries to talk a good game but ends up sounding worse than Andy 'Not for me, Clive' Townsend

Redknapp wouldn't be happy because he wouldn't have any money to spend and the 'benefits' to him would be limited :lol:

Big Sam? A big hit with failing teams and supposed lost causes. Actually, when you put it like that...

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I heard that plonker Brazil on TalkShite this morning on about a Hoddle/Redknapp 'dream team', but also not being disappointed if they went for 'Big Sam'.

I'm not the most enthusiastic England supporter, but those three – in whichever combination – do NOTHING to help the cause.

Hoddle has been there, done that and now tries to talk a good game but ends up sounding worse than Andy 'Not for me, Clive' Townsend

Redknapp wouldn't be happy because he wouldn't have any money to spend and the 'benefits' to him would be limited :lol:

Big Sam? A big hit with failing teams and supposed lost causes. Actually, when you put it like that...

Redknapp has built his career in the media, the way they talk about him suggests he's done a lot more than

Won a couple of lower league
An FA cup
Finished 4th with Spurs

In 30 years.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
One word. Expectation.

Wales are just happy to be there, anything else is a bonus. They could have bombed out in the group stage and still come home to cheering crowds at the airport, because they've not even been in a tournament for 60-odd years. That enables them to play without pressure. That's where their freedom comes from, because they're not really expected to do anything.

Its entirely different with England. Nobody expected us to go there and WIN it, but we did expect the team to perform, and to at least make it through to the latter stages. Our players simply cannot handle that pressure, they cannot handle that expectation, it terrifies them, it inhibits them. And when you put a muddled old duffer like Hodgson in charge, mumbling and bumbling his way through the games, you also have a lack of clarity and leadership.

That's why.

I kind of understand the expectation thing, particularly in the past when we did all think we had a realistic shot at winning, but now? The only expectation is that they do their best. Get knocked out of the tournament, at whatever stage, having had a go. And it doesn't explain why they froze so severely against Iceland. These are players who play in the biggest, most scrutinised league in the world. They deal with pressure every day, they should have been able to cope with going behind in a game to a team they knew they were well capable of beating. They'd already experienced that against Wales and came back to win.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Agreed.

Allardyce is the best of a (mediocre) bunch for me.
:eek:
Its time to accept we are not Spain, or Italy, or Germany, or whoever the current flavour-of-the-month football team is to try and mimic. We our England. Our footballers are thicko's who need instruction and direction
I take it you're joking? We have played decent football in the past, and will again. We should not be trying to mimic Bolton.

England as a Wimbledon or Stoke is a sobering and depressing thought
Yes, so let's stop that.

I have no faith in the F.A selecting the right man(whoever that may be) for the job.
Agreed.

No we don't have anyone as good as Bale, but then I don't think Italy, Spain or Germany do either.

What England need is someone who can get the best out of a mediocre bunch of players
They're not that bad. They didn't perform, but that doesn't mean they're all no better than mediocre. They're not Championship level.

Allardyce won't make England world beaters
Then we don't ****ing want him! We want to be world beaters.
but you can be sure England won't be embarrassed under his leadership either.
I don't care if we're embarrassed. All or nothing - I'll take some embarrassment followed by winning, rather than guaranteeing being 'ok'.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I kind of understand the expectation thing, particularly in the past when we did all think we had a realistic shot at winning, but now? The only expectation is that they do their best. Get knocked out of the tournament, at whatever stage, having had a go. And it doesn't explain why they froze so severely against Iceland. These are players who play in the biggest, most scrutinised league in the world. They deal with pressure every day, they should have been able to cope with going behind in a game to a team they knew they were well capable of beating. They'd already experienced that against Wales and came back to win.

But in the Premier League, those England players are surrounded by quality players from all nations, and they are playing in a familiar system with direction and leadership from the manager as well as leaders on the pitch. What happens when they turn up for duty with Hodgson ? Nobody knows where they're playing, nobody knows if they're playing, the system changes from game to game (half to half sometimes), they're given roles they're not familiar with. Now I accept that good players should be able to adapt, but I get the impression that ours are all a bit...thick. They need to be DRILLED, and you just don't get that with England.

Its a team without a system, and without an identity. Which means its not really a team at all. Its a collection of interchangeable players selected by a man who, at the end of 4 years, still had no real idea what his best lineup was, and as a consequence, no idea what system to play them in.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here