Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anbody lost a racing pigeon?

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Talking of lost pigeons, can anyone help?

Attachments

• pigeon.jpeg
    pigeon.jpeg
    37.6 KB · Views: 125

Feb 9, 2011
Lancing
I used to race pigeons when I was young...........................waits for stupid comments..........................
Anyway, it should be easy to catch if it is tame, then spread the wing and you may find the name of the owner and a phone number stamped on the wing feathers.
Owner used to do this just for this reason.

Did you you ever beat one? used to get the same when i raced greyhounds

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
I used to race pigeons when I was young...........................waits for stupid comments..........................
Anyway, it should be easy to catch if it is tame, then spread the wing and you may find the name of the owner and a phone number stamped on the wing feathers.
Owner used to do this just for this reason.

We had one that couldn't move fast at all, so we pulled it along by a rope. Turned out it was pigeon towed.

Coat please.

origigull

Jun 29, 2009
Grew up in moulsecoomb in the 70's, we all kept pigeons then, although it was 50/50 that when you got home from school a fellow 'enthusiast' had broken into your loft and wrung the neck of you prize Mealing :(
Certainly true. I lived in Moulsecoomb and when I was still at school kept and raced pigeons and had my loft raided a couple of times. I found out who did it once (a neighbourhood kid) by looking into his loft. He was told he had 10 minutes to bring them back or else. He said they flew into his loft and didn't know who they belonged to. I got them back in five. I let him off a tonking (stupid me).

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
We had one that couldn't move fast at all, so we pulled it along by a rope. Turned out it was pigeon towed.

Coat please.

I used to keep racing snails. One was particularly slow, so I removed his shell to see if less weight would make him go faster, but if anything it just made him more sluggish.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
I used to keep racing snails. One was particularly slow, so I removed his shell to see if less weight would make him go faster, but if anything it just made him more sluggish.
Don't know why, but that made me laugh so hard, bubbles came out of my nose!:lolol:
Just hope I can remember this one

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
We had one take up residence outside our house and then in our garage a couple of years ago.

We eventually caught it and from its code number were able to get the details of the owner. We rang him and he explained that the pigeons sometimes get a bit disorientated and that if we released him a reasonable distance away from our house he would re-calibrate his navigation system and find his way home. We put him in a cage, drove about 5 miles away and set him going. After flying a couple of huge circles he headed off in the general direction of where he needed to.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Grew up in moulsecoomb in the 70's, we all kept pigeons then, although it was 50/50 that when you got home from school a fellow 'enthusiast' had broken into your loft and wrung the neck of you prize Mealing :(

I don't think everyone kept pigeons in Scoomb back then, some people knocked down their front garden fence and had a banger racing car in front of the house.
Did you have your house number painted in gloss in two foot high numbers on the wall next to the front door? :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here