Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

An UNLUCKY Lottery Win!? - Can anyone work out the odd's..

VICENTE

Aug 31, 2011
Brighton
So I played my usual 3 lucky dip lines on Tuesday night..

I cant help feel hard done by? considering the odds of this happening against the prize I won?

Can any clever sod work out the odds of this happening - I had three lines and hit the following on the last two lines.. :facepalm:

photo (2).PNGphoto.PNGphoto (1).PNG

14 Million! :tantrum:

Still the 2 x £10 wins will go nicely towards Saturday nights beer bin!!:thumbsup:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I don't know the odds but it happened to me about a month ago on the Saturday draw. I only do two lines and got all six numbers, 4 on one line (£49) and 2 on the other (£0). I do the same numbers every week so knew there was f*** all chance of them coming up the following week but still had to do them, just in case!!!

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Eh? I don't understand. Haven't you won the jackpot then, old boy?

That is my most frequent dream when I'm asleep. I check my lotto numbers, find they all match then lose the ticket or it's for a different draw! :down:

Edit: I see what's happened now. Three other random numbers on the winning lines. I thought the third line had all six correct balls you chose on the ticket.

Last edited:

VICENTE

Aug 31, 2011
Brighton
Eh? I don't understand. Haven't you won the jackpot then, old boy?

That is my most frequent dream when I'm asleep. I check my lotto numbers, find they all match then lose the ticket or it's for a different draw! :down:

Edit: I see what's happened now. Three other random numbers on the winning lines.

Yeah 3 numbers on one ticket, 3 on the next, put them together and boom! 8 LARGE triple Whiskey and Americans!

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
I don't think the odds of this happening are that huge, I'm shit at statistics by my guess is 1/3210 :moo:

EDIT: :nono: Don't think that's right.

Last edited:

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Yeah 3 numbers on one ticket, 3 on the next, put them together and boom! 8 LARGE triple Whiskey and Americans!

Enjoy your drinks after another three points on Saturday night mate. :thumbsup:

I tend to just do the hotpicks of picking three numbers (to win 450 quid) and didn't do them one midweek a couple of months ago when 3, 19 and 34 popped out. I was absolutely gutted.

KingKev

Jun 16, 2011
Hove (actually)
I don't think the odds of this happening are that huge, I'm shit at statistics by my guess is 1/3210 :moo:

Any 6 numbers drawn in a row from a population of 50 is about 14million to one.

VICENTE

Aug 31, 2011
Brighton
I was thinking roughly half the odds of the jackpot win? So about 7Million/1 on that happening... And i won £20! :facepalm:

7Million/1 Can't be right...

Last edited:

VICENTE

Aug 31, 2011
Brighton
My calculation was based on the odds of winning a tenner and winning another tenner.

I think the odds increase dramatically because of the fact that, I didn't hit the bonus ball.... and I got no duplicate numbers in either obviously...

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Statistically you are more likely to die on your way to buy a national lottery ticket than you are of winning the main prize. An actuary told me that so it must be true.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
I think the odds increase dramatically because of the fact that, I didn't hit the bonus ball.... and I got no duplicate numbers in either obviously...

Yes, duplicates would be allowed in that 1/3210 so it's wrong.
I know someone who's had this a couple of times before - albeit doing five lines so it's not that unlikely.

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
By my workings, assuming no duplicate numbers on the lines you buy:

A winning line (as in the real numbers that are drawn) would leave you in this position if it had (a) ANY three from Ticket A, and (b) ANY three from Ticket B. There are 20 ways of picking 3 numbers out of 6, so 20 possible ways of satisfying (a) and 20 possible ways of satisfying (b). There are then 400 (20 x 20) different lottery draws that would leave you in this position if you buy 2 tickets.

There are 13,983,816 possible lottery draws, of which 400 do the job, so 1 in 34,959 - if you only buy 2 tickets.

However, you said you bought 3 tickets so it could have happened across any combination of 2 out of those 3. There are 3 ways of picking 2 out of 3, so actually 3 times more likely.

Therefore I reckon the answer is 3 in 34,959 or 1 in 11,653.

(As an aside to [MENTION=588]8ace[/MENTION] , doing 5 lines gives 10 different combinations of 2 lines so chance would be 1 in 3,496. Still bloody unlikely for it to happen a couple of times though... so maybe I've gone wrong somewhere!)

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
My calculation was based on the odds of winning a tenner and winning another tenner.
First half right, but second much more unlikely, as he didn't just get 3 numbers, he got the specific 3 that he missed the first time. I don't know how to work it out :(

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
That seems to make sense [MENTION=256]DTES[/MENTION] . The bloke definitely had it one time as he showed me the ticket, he said he had the other one only a couple of months before. He wasn't a bullshitter but he was a massive piss artist so he could have got confused I suppose.

nail-Z

Jul 10, 2003
North Somerset
If you did 2 lines you covered 12 numbers. So your odds of hitting 6 from 12 are about 12000/1 I estimate.

First ball out you have a 12/49 chance
Then 11/48, 10/47, 9/46, etc. the odds will be all 6 of these multiplied.

I think.

The Camel

Nov 1, 2010
Darlington, UK
A few weeks ago a mate bought two lucky dips and was presented with the same set of 6 numbers twice.

That's the same odds as winning the lottery but unfortunately he gets zilch for it!

A few weeks ago a mate bought two lucky dips and was presented with the same set of 6 numbers twice.

That's the same odds as winning the lottery but unfortunately he gets zilch for it!
The real question isn't what are the odds of 6 numbers appearing on two consecutive tickets. As you suggest, it's about 14 million to 1 against. The interesting question is:- what are the odds of you knowing the person that it happened to?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I haven't worked out the odds for you buying 3 tickets, but I have worked it out for you just buying 2:

The total number of combinations, or the odds of getting all 6 numbers = combination (49,6)
type COMBIN(49,6) into excel = 13,983,816

The odds of getting any 3 of those numbers is combination (6,3) for the winning ones, times combination (43,3) for the losing ones (ie, you've hit 3 out of 6 winning numbers and 3 out of 43 losing ones), divided by the total number of combinations ( combination 49,6).
- 0.01765 (or 1 in 56.66)

The next ticket needs to get 3 winning numbers out of 3:
combination (3,3) times combination (43,3) / combination (49,6) = 1 in 1133

So the odds of getting the first 3, and then hitting the next 3, is 1/64,198

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here