Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

An open letter to Vladimir Romanov

Fergus96

Oct 20, 2004
Hove
Dear Vladimir,
Seasons Greetings.
We are writing to you on behalf of members of the Heart of Midlothian Supporters Trust to offer our hopes for Hearts for the future.
First and foremost, we are fans. We are the people who have spent much of our lives following Hearts, in good times and in bad, at Tynecastle and around Scotland, and in many European games. We have watched as Hearts have had some triumphs like the 1998 Cup win, but we have also been there when they have lost the league on goal difference twice in our lives. We have sat on the horrible benches at Clydebank in the January sleet (although you probably do not remember that) and seen them lose cup semi finals on penalties to Airdrie. We were all there, of course, when we squeezed our way to victory over Gretna in the Cup and when we beat Celtic and Aberdeen at the end of last season to secure our place in the Champions league.
We have loved the triumphs and hated the disappointments. We have had our heroes and those we have screamed at from the terraces. We have all spent far too much time and money supporting Hearts, but that is what we are: Hearts fans.
And it has not always been easy. We have had our differences with the previous owners of the club and worked very hard two years ago to ensure that Tynecastle was not sold. We really feared that our club was about to go to the wall.
So we were all delighted when you came along with your vision and big ambition. And you delivered. More money, some great players and tangible rewards. There was a real sense of optimism around Hearts and a lot of excitement across Scotland that there could be a real and consistent challenge to the Old Firm. But that has all gone now.
The truth is that we have gone from being the best thing in Scottish football for decades to being a laughing stock. People talk about us: but rarely about the football. What we see now is constant interference, the public humiliation of some of our greatest players and a businessman who seems to see our club as a vanity project. And it is our club. You may be the owner in the legal and financial sense, but as our motto says: regardless of who the custodians of HMFC may be, the fans are the lifeblood and the only constant. We are the people who create that fabulous atmosphere in Tynecastle, who trek all over Scotland and Europe, who spend our hard earned cash. We are the people who are now being mocked at work because of your antics. We are the people who believe our club has lost its self respect.
And that is a real crime. We may not have won many trophies over the years, but we have been respected. We all know the story of the first team who went to war in 1914 and of the great players who have played for us over the years. We are an important sporting institution and you have turned us into a circus freak show.
As a result, we have lost our respect for you. The way you treated Steven Pressley was, for many of us, the last straw. We know him well enough to know that if he thought it was in the best interests of the club to criticise, then there must have been real problems. You may have brought money to the club, but Elvis has shown not only great class as a footballer but real integrity. Your response to being challenged seems to have been the response of the playground bully.
It now seems that you and the board do not care about results on the pitch. The farce we have just endured of having a central defender play in midfield against Aberdeen with Paul Hartley on the bench, demonstrates that you do not even respect the fans anymore. Surely the first most important task is to put the best team on the park. To do anything other demeans you, the club, the players, the opposition, the competition and the supporters. And although you may say that it was a decision made by Valdas, it has now reached the point that no-one believes that. It looks like another public humiliation for a player who has contributed far more to Hearts than you.
It does not have to be like this. Our request to you is that you care about the integrity of the club and that you put the fans at the front of your thinking. We need you think of yourself as the custodian of the club, with our future in your hands. In line with best practice in running any business, you need to appoint people you trust then leave them to get on with the job. If they fail because of their own mistakes, you can sack them. If they fail because of your interference, you put them in an intolerable position.
We need a board that meets its legal obligations to put the interests of the club first.
We need a Chief Executive who is not the Chairman (a trap Chris Robinson fell into) and has the confidence respect of you, the employees, players and fans.
We need a transparent and frequent mechanism, formally established, where supporter consultation and input will be taken seriously, as you promised when you took over.
Then we need the very best players on the pitch, playing at their best. If we get that, it really will be a happy Christmas, and every prospect of a great 2007 and beyond.
The Heart of Midlothian Supporters Trust Board. (on behalf of its members).
David Orr, Pamela Forbes, Jane Lewis, Michael Hart, Douglas Masterton, Alex Houston, Martin Laidlaw, Paul Turner, David Turner, Derek Watson

:clap: :clap:

Couldn't have put it better myself - if I was a Hearts fan that is.

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
I can't be arsed to read all that!

Can someone give me the gist?

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
I'm a bit surprised it's taken them this long to come round to the fact that the bloke's obviously a top notch clubfucker, like Archer et al.

Fergus96

Oct 20, 2004
Hove
To sum up, and I quote

"We are an important sporting institution and you have turned us into a circus freak show. "

:lolol:

Fergus96

Oct 20, 2004
Hove
Man of Harveys said:
I'm a bit surprised it's taken them this long to come round to the fact that the bloke's obviously a top notch clubfucker, like Archer et al.

Agreed

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Man of Harveys said:

I don't know too much about what has gone at a Hearts apart from Romanov seeming to be complete meglomaniac. I thought he had put money in though, so the comparison to Archer in that respect is flawed. So just what is his agenda apart from meddling meglomania???

KPTF

Jan 6, 2004
Burgess Hill
Whatever happened to Clydebank? Did they get replaced by Gretna/Peterhead/Elgin when they appeared on the scene a few years ago?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here