Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

An open letter from an Arsenal fan re. ticket price increases for next season

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I wonder if one of our fans will write a letter like this to Ken Brown/Tony Bloom when we get Premiership status?

The TV companies have a lot to answer for, especially SKY.
Why do you blame the TV companies for the ticket prices at Arsenal? As the bloke says the increase comes at a time when the club have been receiving "unprecedented levels of income from TV and sponsors."

In this instance the only possible criticism of TV is that it's made football 'too popular'. As he says he remembers being part of crowds of 12,000; the demand has now massively increased and Arsenal are pricing their tickets accordingly.

brunswick

Aug 13, 2004
putting more into pension?.....lol....it wont exist in 20 years.....have no sympathy for idiots like this.

i know someone NOW that paid 100 a month into a pension for 12 years....due to fear....and now gets 73 pound a month........was told the shares went down.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
That'll be another one coming to Falmer then.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Why do you blame the TV companies for the ticket prices at Arsenal? As the bloke says the increase comes at a time when the club have been receiving "unprecedented levels of income from TV and sponsors."

In this instance the only possible criticism of TV is that it's made football 'too popular'. As he says he remembers being part of crowds of 12,000; the demand has now massively increased and Arsenal are pricing their tickets accordingly.

You have a point. Maybe I was being overly harsh on the TV companies in this instance.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Surely there is cheaper season tickets? I cant believe that £1800 is the cheapest one they offer?

I think that is the main point in the letter rather than the price he pays. The bit saying he is gold member and would like to downgrade but the club won't let him, I imagine he gives up his season ticket and would have to join the waiting list to get back in as a silver (or whatever) member. The waiting list at Arsenal is huge so would be a very long time he was able to get a season ticket again

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I think that is the main point in the letter rather than the price he pays. The bit saying he is gold member and would like to downgrade but the club won't let him, I imagine he gives up his season ticket and would have to join the waiting list to get back in as a silver (or whatever) member. The waiting list at Arsenal is huge so would be a very long time he was able to get a season ticket again

Fair enough,

Do you know how the season ticket waiting list works there?

If only 1800 season tickets come up and you are first in the line do you have to take it or go to the back of the line?

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
putting more into pension?.....lol....it wont exist in 20 years.....have no sympathy for idiots like this.

i know someone NOW that paid 100 a month into a pension for 12 years....due to fear....and now gets 73 pound a month........was told the shares went down.

If he expected to get much more per month for a £14.5k investment then he was given bad advice. £73 per month for only investing £100 per month ( plus the bit the taxman adds ) is about average. If you want a decent pension then you need to invest far more than £100 a month for far longer than 12 years.

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
Those prices are criminal. May be this is just what Brighton needs. All the plastic Arsenal supporters living in Brighton might snap up a season ticket with us, if there are any left.

Not only is it nearer, its also cheaper and it might be more exciting. All the time I have seen Arsenal on TV when they show the supporters, it looks like this is the first time they have ever been to a football match.

bluestt

Feb 18, 2011
Do you know how the season ticket waiting list works there?

I have a friend on the list and he's been on it now for 7 years - still isn't anywhere near the top!

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Didn't Arsenal announce a pre-tax profit of £50m last year?

I think it was 30 odd million last year but those figures were masked by a one off payment for flats that were built on Highbury.

This year, they have lost money (few million quid) and are supposed to be one of the better run clubs. This was from a piece in the guardian a few weeks back that I will dig out if I can be arsed.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Unfortunately ALL the extra revenues have gone to players and their agents. In fact more than that, as clubs now run debt figures on their balance sheet that is greater than the club has ever been worth.

Everyone in football has screwed the fan who attends the game in favour of the bigger and sexier "Global TV market." Facts of life I'm afraid, and as tragic as it sounds, it makes me wonder whether I want Brighton to get any higher than The Championship, as I fear I just wouldn't be able to justify the expense, especially as I can't sit there in April and be sure that I could attend all the varying kick-off days and times for the next 12 months. Once upon a time, you keep Saturday afternoons free of kids clubs, etc and away you go, but how does a Premiership fan with a family guarantee he's free from 12.30 Saturday games all the the way through to a MNF match?

At £90 a game, you don't want to be missing many.

I'm afraid football at the highest level has left the vast majority of us behind.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.

And for how long will he get £73 per month? Presumably he's bought an annuity, and it will pay up until he dies ..... possibly 20-30 years from retiring! So, maybe he gets back just £27 a month less, but for 18 years longer. Hmm, sounds like he did alright to me.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
... I'm afraid football at the highest level has left the vast majority of us behind.
You may be right ... on the other hand you may be wrong. Read the comments about the waiting lists, where did all these people come from? Are they all rich buggers who used to watch, I dunno, opera or something and decided to switch to football? Or are football prices like petrol prices, i.e. people moan and moan but pay them anyway?

I think the answer is a bit of both, there are undoubtedly new, more well-heeled fans who wouldn't have been seen dead near a football ground twenty years ago, but equally there are 'ordinary' people who are prepared to pay what ever their clubs charge. Maybe the Arsenal fan is complaining because they haven't been so successful recently? Admission prices are almost never a factor if a team is doing well - I don't think I've seen one thread on NSC this season complaining about ticket prices at Withdean whereas last season it was a regular topic.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here