Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] An apology

medwayseagull reborn

Oct 12, 2022
Watching Maguire putting his studs on the ball, then pushing it a yard or two in a vaguely forward direction (even he was not sure in which direction it would go), then, with a look of nervous tension on his face, passing a few yards sideways to Stones or Rice with an implored "please don't give it back", or threading it 10 to 20 yards forward between England players to pick out an onrushing Italian, did not fill me with confidence. I dread to think what the likes of France, Argentina and Brazil will do to him after another 9 months of Southgate coaching him how to play out from the back. It reminded me of Mings but without the left footed 40 yard slice into touch that he has made his trademark over the years.
Lucky we are not playing Argentina or Brazil in the euros then.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
It has been brought to my attention that through the archives of this great organ (NSC), I have been guilty of a travesty of judgement. Previously it was reported that waistcoat man, also known as Sir Gareth Southgate, is a football coach with three flat tyres and a smashed windscreen. A man with no more idea about football than a Brighton supporter, back in 1998, standing on the end of the pier (the West pier) with a seagull on his head. I am delighted to confirm that Lord Southgate of Croydon (viscount Stadclad) is one of the greatest visionaries of, er, the beautiful game, and will deliver certain glory to the nation with his Top Selections, incisive coaching and that.

And while I am in a genuflectory posture, it would only be correct to deliver a heartfelt apology to Harry Maguire. He may have a head of slab, but inside that slab is the football brain of a central defender. Tonight his masterful performance, passing the ball to other players, and whatnot, was the sort of thing that won us two world wars and one world cup. Doo dah. I am happy to correct any possible misunderstandings, for example the time I called him a traffic cone, the gift that keeps on taking, and everything that is wrong about football.

Let that be an end to it.

HWT, proud to be right behind the Wetherspoon's bins

Perry's Tracksuit Bottoms

King of Sussex
Oct 3, 2003
Lost
Gazza. Now there's a player who always gave his all for England, and I don't understand why he's not at least in the squad. He was in the stands on Tuesday and it looked like the mental anguish of being left out has taken its toll. With Maguire and Gazza in the squad I think we could go all the way.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
We qualify for the EUROs (again) and now we are all praising Southgate?
What's next, we will start saying we can win the whole tournament? Well, BBC Sport have already done that.
I understand that we have achieved some impressive results recently, but let's not get too ahead of ourselves here - like we always do.
Plus, about Maguire, he played well but surely Dunk starts ahead of him? I mean has he done anything for Manchester United that merits his spot in the line-up for England, or are we still considering that his previous performances for his country results in an automatic start each game?
whoosh.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here