Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

An Apology to Gus Poyet

That last one covers a range of possibilities, doesn't it?

Can do but if the insubordination is, in the context in which it took place, deemed serious, deliberate and to have destroyed the employer/employee relationship then you have a case of gross misconduct. For example, mouthing off about your employer in front of other employees in a public place at a company event/function might get you in this sort of bother and the more senior/high profile you are the more serious the bother is likely to be.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Gross misconduct is defined as behaviour, on the part of an employee, which is so bad that it destroys the employer/employee relationship, and merits instant dismissal without notice or pay in lieu of notice. Not a breakdown in the working relationship but an action or actions that destroys it.
However, instant dismissal is a very severe penalty, and if the employee goes to an Employment Tribunal, the employer would have to show that the offence was so wrong that instant dismissal was an appropriate sanction.
They would also have to be able to demonstrate that the decision:
1) Would be one that a reasonable employer would have made.
2) Was itself both fair and reasonable in the circumstances.

Threatening to leave and the email that he sent to all the staff was enough to destroy the working relationship.

Unless you can confirm the reasons why he was sacked, it could be anything.

Oscar didn't come out of nowhere and there probably was an agreement in place, that if we didn't get promoted he was set to replace Gus.

Had we been promoted I doubt there would have been a case for gross misconduct, and if there was something so bad, he would have been fired before the end of the season.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Threatening to leave and the email that he sent to all the staff was enough to destroy the working relationship.

Unless you can confirm the reasons why he was sacked, it could be anything.

Oscar didn't come out of nowhere and there probably was an agreement in place, that if we didn't get promoted he was set to replace Gus.

Had we been promoted I doubt there would have been a case for gross misconduct, and if there was something so bad, he would have been fired before the end of the season.

Gus was leaving regardless of whether we got promoted or not.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Possibly, Bloom would have had to pay him remainder of his contract and the gross miscoduct would never have come into it.

It would have ended up as a quiet departure with everything kept behind closed doors and not hung out to dry in public.

Definitely. There was no way on earth he was going to stay.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Look, I agree, there have been much worse performances. and yes if Barnes had scored, if we'd taken our chances in the first leg, if, if, if... The big if is if Gus had got it tactically right, which he didn't.

I'm probably overstating it a bit as "taken apart", but we were roundly beaten by Palace quite comfortably in the end. Taken apart? That was Derby last year.

I'm still gutted by the fact that our team just didn't turn up for both legs of the playoffs.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I'm still gutted by the fact that our team just didn't turn up for both legs of the playoffs.

It didn't help that Calde got a yellow card, so immediately Holloway knew that he could switch Zaha onto the other wing to plague him.
Lots of ifs, such as if Bruno hadn't been injured etc etc.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Gus was leaving regardless of whether we got promoted or not.

I remember someone posting on here well before the end of the season saying that Poyet was off regardless of whether we were promoted or not. I also remember ridiculing him for it only for it all then to come out. It seemed pretty clear from Bloom and others subsequently that he was always going to be off.

I originally thought that it was just Poyet's ego that led to this and backed the club but I feel differently now; I can't believe how many mistakes the club is making despite it's supposedly professional set up. It is beginning to feel like we were more professional and capable in the village industry days of Withdean. Since Barber joined it has started to come apart at the seams; maybe coincidence but I doubt it..

Last edited:

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Definitely. There was no way on earth he was going to stay.

Ok I will shift a bit, it was a definate possibility that he was likely to leave regardless. But it would have been handled differently, with a payout, and for all intents and purposes an amicable end by mutual agreement. I doubt that there would have been any public show or gross misconduct charges against him.

CaptainDaveUK

Oct 18, 2010
Yes I am sorry that I judged Gus Poyet, my Lord. I now wish you had stayed and that Burke and Barber gone, amen.

Sunderland boss Gus Poyet: Don't call me the manager

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/30531089
"If you ever get the chance to speak to anyone on the recruitment side and ask them about it, you are lucky".

That seems to sum up the problem that besets real managers at an increasing number of football clubs. And it's why Sacking The Manager often isn't the answer.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Ok I will shift a bit, it was a definate possibility that he was likely to leave regardless. But it would have been handled differently, with a payout, and for all intents and purposes an amicable end by mutual agreement. I doubt that there would have been any public show or gross misconduct charges against him.

It was the payout that was the 'big' problem as it was £2 million. When you have a club trying to rein in expenditure, avoiding a payout becomes a priority.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Pre Mcclaren wasn't it..

For what it's worth, Poyet owes me an apology. If he had put the club before himself in that 2nd leg we might well be sitting in a polar opposite position to our friends up the road. Instead, what happened happened and the consequences of his actions (or inaction) are intrinsically linked to the utter mess we are in now and the huge disparities in success, financial resources and short term future.

He owes a lot of us an apology for his sulks and disinterest before and during the 2nd playoff leg but we won't get one. He could throw in another apology for his shenanigans regarding the Reading job, but I reckon we'll be waiting a long time.

So best to just move on, and regard him as ancient history.

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
"If you ever get the chance to speak to anyone on the recruitment side and ask them about it, you are lucky".

That seems to sum up the problem that besets real managers at an increasing number of football clubs. And it's why Sacking The Manager often isn't the answer.

I really can understand the managers/head coach frustrations. The majority of managers have normally played at a high standard ( I know there are a few exceptions) but how frustrating to be told, this is the set of players you can select from by someone who has never played football at a decent level. His new head of scouting Steven Houston is yet another data base man and in 2006-2009 was a scouting for the NBA Basketball scouting team. Out of interest what level did our Head of Football Operations play. It appears nowadays to recognise a good player you must have good IT skills.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
It was the payout that was the 'big' problem as it was £2 million. When you have a club trying to rein in expenditure, avoiding a payout becomes a priority.

I agree, but if we had got promoted, and we still wanted to get rid of him, the promotion money would have afforded it.

To sack a manager for gross misconduct after promotion would, in my view, have been virtually impossible. It certainly wouldn't have been without major complications.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here