Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Amsterdam break

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Another vote for the Rijksmuseum...... not just for the old masters, they are quite keen on the exhibits captured from us when giving the Royal Navy a thrashing at the Battle of Medway.....ahem.

The atmospheric WWII museum is fascinating to see how the City struggled under German occupation and how the Dutch resistance fought back (if that's your thing). Plus the new Bibliotheque near the central rail station is handy and has a nice Deli restaurant on the top floor giving great views across the canals and waterways around the City.

Regular scheduled flights from many UK regional airports. Fast train into the City from Schipol, then a choice of easy walking, canal boat tours and/or the 2-3 day tram pass. All good value.

You omitted the Anne Frank Hous which is a must-visit for anyone who read the diary as a child. Atmospheric doesn't do it justice

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Great city, been many times including the last couple of summers. I do not smoke weed nor have ever indulged in paying for other services. Still a crackin place to visit, you will not regret it one bit.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Went a few times on end of season tours and had a great time each time.

It was the last of these trips, where three of us ended up in the Rijksmuseum while the rest of the team were in the Red Light District that I decided that i was a little too old and retired from Sunday league football (and end of season tours) :down:

Amsterdam still has lots for the more mature visitor :)

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
Good craft beer scene as well. Check http://www.arendsnest.nl

^^^^ This.

The brewing in The Netherlands has improved immeasurably (according to our friends in the city).

The bar in HT's link has four or five sister bars across the city, all serving excellent Dutch-only beer.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
You omitted the Anne Frank Hous which is a must-visit for anyone who read the diary as a child. Atmospheric doesn't do it justice

True, but there is always a long queue to get in. About 90 minutes - not nice at this time of year.

However, if you're determined to get in, it's well worth the queueing time.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
Is it still a good place to go if you are not interested in drugs or hookers?

If you fancy treating yourself, go via Eurostar / Thalys.

We went first class (an extra tenner on the regular ticket) on both trains, and so got two courtesy meals, plus Champagne, each. It was cheaper than flying that week.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
As we were driving w always stayed about 20 mins drive out o the city and went in by public transport.

Driving in Amsterdam is such fun! Bikes coming from every direction & trams to avoid before you even start watching out for "normal" traffic :lolol:
We usually stay in the centre near Vondelpark or park the Campervan up at Amstelveen and drive in to the centre through the park. City centre hotels are expensive of course but we've sometimes stayed at an Ibis out by the airport and it's only around €100 a night including breakfast for two with transport to the terminal and the city centre. Plenty of options!

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
The brewing in The Netherlands has improved immeasurably (according to our friends in the city).

Around 345 breweries in the Netherlands at the last count, of which around 30 are based in Amsterdam. It's currently expanding at an unsustainable rate, but I think it'll certainly top 500 before it levels out. Then expect some of the rubbish/bandwagon-jumpers to fall by the wayside.

The bar in HT's link has four or five sister bars across the city, all serving excellent Dutch-only beer.

Close. The landlord Peter has three other bars. Beer Temple is mainly US and Scandinavian craft brews; Craft and Draft has 40 taps and is international craft beer; Jopen Proeflokaal Amsterdam is the Amsterdam tap of the Jopen brewery from Haarlem, and run jointly with them. Most of the tap beers in the latter are from Jopen (obviously), but they have a few from elsewhere. But yes, they are all great bars. And if you visit all four in one day you can claim a free T-shirt.

I'm officially supposed to remain neutral and unbiased, but the best (beer) bar in the city is (and has long been) In De Wildeman - http://www.indewildeman.nl/

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Driving in Amsterdam is such fun! Bikes coming from every direction & trams to avoid before you even start watching out for "normal" traffic :lolol:
We usually stay in the centre near Vondelpark or park the Campervan up at Amstelveen and drive in to the centre through the park. City centre hotels are expensive of course but we've sometimes stayed at an Ibis out by the airport and it's only around €100 a night including breakfast for two with transport to the terminal and the city centre. Plenty of options!

Biggest irritation on the streets in central Amsterdam is the endless wave of clueless lost tourists pouring out of Centraal Station dragging their wheelie luggage behind them. The sound of plastic wheel on cobble has become the soundtrack of the city above and beyond the clinking trams.

I do agree that hotels in the centre can be overpriced. When I go (which is "often") I usually use booking.com to see what the current "bargains" (I use the term lightly) are. I tend to wind up in a different place each time, and have stayed in around 75 different Amsterdam hotels as a result. Staying out in Zaandam or Haarlem can be an alternative, as the hotels there are cheaper and they are only 10 minutes by train from the centre (i.e. shorter than the tram ride from many suburban hotels).

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
Biggest irritation on the streets in central Amsterdam is the endless wave of clueless lost tourists pouring out of Centraal Station dragging their wheelie luggage behind them. The sound of plastic wheel on cobble has become the soundtrack of the city above and beyond the clinking trams.

I do agree that hotels in the centre can be overpriced. When I go (which is "often") I usually use booking.com to see what the current "bargains" (I use the term lightly) are. I tend to wind up in a different place each time, and have stayed in around 75 different Amsterdam hotels as a result. Staying out in Zaandam or Haarlem can be an alternative, as the hotels there are cheaper and they are only 10 minutes by train from the centre (i.e. shorter than the tram ride from many suburban hotels).

We went to Amsterdam back in October.

Before we went, my partner - a Montessori teacher - looked up what the Montessori world HQ address was. It was three sodding doors along from the hotel, very near the Vondel Park.

jay d

jay d n coke
Nov 16, 2014
brighton
Not really . Its about £7 a pint over there. You can touch the strippers :)

jay d

jay d n coke
Nov 16, 2014
brighton
I dont like snow, penguins or polor bears.

Is it still worth me going on holiday to the ant arctic

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here