Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Amex will be the spirit of Albion fans made real.

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
Apologies for the self-indulgence, all, to post a blog entry on here, but I'm getting more than a bit excited about the opener on Saturday. If it seems a little overblown, well, sod it, it's how I feel.

Link to blog in my sig if you feel like reading any more.

--------------------

Amex will be the spirit of Albion fans made real

This is being written after midnight on Thursday night/Friday morning of July 28th to 29th. So that means that tomorrow, yes, tomorrow, I'll be going to my first ever game at our new stadium. That word is beautiful. Absolutely beautiful to write, because it marks the end of a 14-year period during which we've had no home to call our own.

I've been up to the Amex and had a look from outside, of course. It looks like a beautiful stadium, fit for a club of much higher standing than we've had in the last few years. But much more than that, it stands as a tangible monument to the efforts of so many people who simply would not let this club die, or more accurately be killed. Who simply would not give up, would not go away, would not accept that Archer, Bellotti and Stanley would win, belatedly.

It carries their spirit, embedded in concrete and steel. Its smell will doubtless be of plastic, metal, dust, frying onions, beer and anticipation, at least for the first few weeks. That smell, and that spirit, is deep, richly textured and extremely powerful. It's the spirit of the few who barged the East terrace gate open to gain access to the boycott game free of charge. It's the spirit of all of those who sped across the north-west corner of the hallowed Goldstone turf, towards the directors' box, sending that weasel Bellotti scurrying away, never to return, marking the beginning of the reclamation of our home in those last few games.

It's the spirit of Dick Knight, our club's saviour. Of Fans United, and all the other supporters who backed us. Of Steve Gritt's engineering of a miraculous escape that desperate season of 1996/97. Of dragging our arses to Gillingham once a fortnight to see a poor side in a poor stadium in a grim Medway town (sorry, Gillingham), losing almost every week. Of getting back to Brighton, but putting up with a shambles of a ground which didn't belong to us, filled with seats which didn't belong to us about a mile from a pitch which didn't belong to us. Of Bobby Z banging them in. A trip to Cardiff the epitome of unlikely success, and seasons in the second tier. Successive managers baling out because it seemed like the new home would never come. Of Gary Hart's loyalty through it all.

It's the loved ones' memories of all the fans who've passed on during our homelessness, never to see our new stadium for themselves.

Of writing letters, marching, trying to be imaginative and innovative, never letting the anger or determination die, nor resorting to violence, while at the same time trying to support a club which still had on-field business to attend to. Of the eventual success of a campaign which had seemed to go on forever. Of the new dawn, Gus, Tony Bloom, title glory and beautiful football that most of us had never seen from a Brighton side before.

All of this will seep into the stones of the new stadium and make it our own. This club, and this stadium, is more important to thousands of people than I can possibly do justice to here. It is nothing less than the embodiment of where we've been, where we are, where we're going as a club, and the fight it's taken to achieve it. If I blub when the teams come out of the tunnel and the noise of the crowd rises to acclaim them, now you'll know why.

Reactions: Fef

Daffy Duck

Stop bloody moaning!
Nov 7, 2009
GOSBTS
Don't worry, you certainly won't be the only one that's blubbing.

Really good article, enjoyed reading that. Thanks.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Great article, and a nice respite from the petty bickering that is infecting this board at the moment. Thanks for posting.

Fef

Rock God.
Feb 21, 2009
I probably won't see you blubbing HHS - it's difficult to see others blubbing when you're blubbing yourself.
Great post. Rep added.

Lush

Mods' Pet
Great post. Let's not let transport teething troubles and issues about where and how quickly you can stuff food and drink into your gob detract from what should be A GREAT DAY, 14 years in the making.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Good read that! Re-emphasizes just why we should never forget all the hard work and the heartache it had been to be an Albion fan in this time.

It seems like a wonderful dream that tomorrow we will have our new home.

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
Cheers all. I don't want to belittle those who have found the teething troubles frustrating, especially the disabled supporters who seem to have very legitimate concerns, but we've put up with much, much worse in the last few years without turning on the people at the club. It'll work itself out and we'll be able to revel in the relative luxury of the place, certainly compared to Gillingham and Withdean.

Personally, I don't go to football matches for the burgers, or even for the beer. I go for the football, and the atmosphere generated by fans making a noise in support of their club. So long as that's right (and currently, taken as a whole, it should be more right than it's been for 14 years) then I don't much care about the other stuff.

KNC

Sep 3, 2003
Seven Dials
Great,great post.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Firstly wanted to say what a great post HHS.

Secondly, with this monument comes IMO a responsability for all Albion fans. It's not enough to just turn up, watch the game, moan about whoever or whatever anymore and go home. We need to make our mark on this place, not allow it to become another souless ground built for corporates etc. (No dig at TB intended there either, it has to be financed.) We need to make sure that it becomes a passionate place, firmly associated in the minds of all football fans not just ours, as the home of BHA and becomes a celebration of what we all fought for...

7oaksgull

Jan 3, 2010
Sevenoaks, Kent
HHS, I was intending to write something along similar lines but not only have you beaten me to it but also expressed my feelings far better than I would have done myself! Great post

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Personally, I don't go to football matches for the burgers, or even for the beer. I go for the football, and the atmosphere generated by fans making a noise in support of their club. So long as that's right (and currently, taken as a whole, it should be more right than it's been for 14 years) then I don't much care about the other stuff.

Nail on head, HHS. When everything else is sifted away, that's what's left.

I'm always happy to read the posts of someone who also doesn't bother with an avatar.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here