Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Amex to host Rugby World Cup Games? (merged threads)

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
The only football team sharing with the egg chasers who seem to have a really bad pitch is Watford (Saracens), and their pitch has always been poor.

Swansea & Reading seem fine. I can't recall Wycombe (share with Wasps) Cardiff (Cardiff Blues) or even Hull (Hull FC) being that bad.

Palace were looking into having London Welsh playing on their allotment this season (need the money I guess) but that fell through for some reason. Perhaps London Welsh's people actually saw the stadium first.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Palace were looking into having London Welsh playing on their allotment this season (need the money I guess) but that fell through for some reason. Perhaps London Welsh's people actually saw the stadium first.

London Welsh were worried about the quality of the pitch, having to share with those cloggers.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Confirmed today that we are on the long-list of 17 venues

Amex in the frame for rugby showpiece From The Argus)

Albion's Amex Stadium has been included on the long list of 17 stadia for the 2015 Rugby World Cup.

The final selection of up to 12 venues will be announced early next year.

The long list also includes Southampton's St Mary's Stadium.

The Argus revealed last month that Albion are vying with Saints to be selected as a South Coast venue for the rugby showpiece.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The only football team sharing with the egg chasers who seem to have a really bad pitch is Watford (Saracens), and their pitch has always been poor.

Swansea & Reading seem fine. I can't recall Wycombe (share with Wasps) Cardiff (Cardiff Blues) or even Hull (Hull FC) being that bad.

London Welsh opted for the Kassam Stadium, Oxford.
Saracens don't play at Watford anymore - moved to Barnet.

Surrey_Albion

Jan 17, 2011
Horley
I found it a bit on on our official site it is listed as "The Brighton Community Stadium" does that mean AMEX only sponsor when used for football???

EDIT: that is proper football with a round ball before anyone mentions it is called "rugby football"

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Why do people keep going on about the pitch? Swansea, Reading, Hull, Huddersfield all have lovely pitches. Modern stadia with top.pitches are fine - after all, Swansea don't resort to league 2 hoofball, and they pernamently share with Ospreys.

The Amex is a world class stadium, all it needs is the opportunity to host a World Class event.

We are talking 3 matches maximum, the pitch will be fine. As we have seen with other Rugby World Cups, being a host city is prestiegious.

Bring it on - I'll be first in the queue for tickets.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I found it a bit on on our official site it is listed as "The Brighton Community Stadium" does that mean AMEX only sponsor when used for football???

EDIT: that is proper football with a round ball before anyone mentions it is called "rugby football"

Sponsors names not allowed. The Kingpower (if used) will be known as the Leicester City stadium.

Surrey_Albion

Jan 17, 2011
Horley
[MENTION=4472]strings[/MENTION], thanks for that I did wonder and couldnt see it mentioned as to why

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
Patiently awaiting a picture of Brett Mendoza on Twitter with a rugby ball or something. He'll be all over this, you just know it :D

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Hull's pitch was a right bog when we played there last season and ruined the game. Not a good advert for shared grounds.

Just as well we were there on the opening day of this season when it was fine and we battered them with some really nice footie but didn't get that crucial goal.

Baron Pepperpot

Jul 26, 2012
Brighton
I'm a season ticket holder at Harlequins and a number of folk travel up from Brighton. Quins are very active in Sussex. As I understand it, us and Southampton are competing for a game. There are a lot of rugby fans in Sussex. I would be overjoyed if we got it. As for ruining the pitch... oh pleeease....

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I'm a season ticket holder at Harlequins and a number of folk travel up from Brighton. Quins are very active in Sussex. As I understand it, us and Southampton are competing for a game. There are a lot of rugby fans in Sussex. I would be overjoyed if we got it. As for ruining the pitch... oh pleeease....

A real shame we don't have professional rugby in Sussex. Maybe we could if we didn't get our fixes elsewhere.

I'm a London Scottish fan, despite not being the least bit Scottish.

Baron Pepperpot

Jul 26, 2012
Brighton
A real shame we don't have professional rugby in Sussex. Maybe we could if we didn't get our fixes elsewhere.

I'm a London Scottish fan, despite not being the least bit Scottish.

It's different with rugger, there aren't the numbers. Most local clubs have a supporter base which is basically their membership. As such you don't support a club as you are part of the club. It's a bit like county league cricket really. There is really only room for a small number of professional sides in England and anyone with aspirations will need a wealthy backer just to start.

Most folk at Quins are affiliated to local teams in the regional leagues. I align myself with Hove. Quins scout Sussex for talent and the likes of Marler and Turner-Hall are products. But there are no teams in Sussex who would have the supporter base to hit the Premiership, the structure doesn't work like that.

Good to see Scottish doing well in the championship.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here