Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Amex to host Rugby World Cup Games? (merged threads)

D

Deleted member 22389

As other users have said, think about the money being pumped in to the club. Would definately go to watch a game. Would be a first for me and first for Brighton.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Would be brilliant. A world class sporting event for a world class stadium.

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
Amex now under consideration........

.....as a Rugby World Cup venue in 2015, according to Mail today.

The other stadiums also added to list are Olympic Stadium, Reading, Derby, Birmingham and Ipswich. These are all after the big uns of Twickenham, Old Trafford etc..

Watch this with interest.:amex:

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
Amex to host Rugby World Cup Games?

To those saying re lay the pitch - ours isn't turfed it's seeded so no quick fix after the egg chasers have ripped it to pieces!

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Amex to host Rugby World Cup Games?

Wouldn't want the pitch getting messed up and effecting our Champions League matches.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
I think people are overstating the impact it could have on the pitch. Our pitch, I believe, is a Desso Grassmaster surface, which is the same stuff used by a few NFL teams as well as clubs like Swansea, who have a rugby team playing full-time at their stadium, and they still manage to pass the ball. One or maybe two games would be absolutely fine.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Irrespective of the sport, this make me VERY proud that our stadium is being held in such high regard that it's being put forward for such prestigous events. In fact, I would be so proud if we hosted a WC game, that I would actually attend my first egg-chasing match since the Varsity game in about 1982.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
A lot would depend on the weather. If its a good dry autumn then the pitch would cope. Relaying a pitch at that time of the season though if we then have a deluge and are then playing matches close to it which we would have to could ruin it for the reason of the season.

Bet Gus wouldn't be too keen.

Although clearly financially it could be very very good.

I suggested 20:20 cricket at the AMEX too. Why not?

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
We've already had a couple of FBS gigs on our hallowed turf, presumably a protective cover was placed over it and seemed to recover ok. Plus we have permission to use The Amex for 'other events' so presumably the Club has anticipated other sports being played on the pitch?

I'd be worried if the rugby is held later in the season when the pitch would cut up but in the Autumn might be ok. However at least its not going to be the ''Horse of the Year Show' which completely ruined the snooker table smooth old Wembley pitch for years in the early '70s

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
We've already had a couple of FBS gigs on our hallowed turf, presumably a protective cover was placed over it and seemed to recover ok. Plus we have permission to use The Amex for 'other events' so presumably the Club has anticipated other sports being played on the pitch?

I'd be worried if the rugby is held later in the season when the pitch would cut up but in the Autumn might be ok. However at least its not going to be the ''Horse of the Year Show' which completely ruined the snooker table smooth old Wembley pitch for years in the early '70s

The gig was during the close season, not really the same as during September/October is it?

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
The gig was during the close season, not really the same as during September/October is it?

Exactly - but the potential for damage was still there with thousands of punters staggering about including ladies wearing heels, but did not materialise. We applied for and got permission to run other events at The Amex. If these are on the pitch that mainly means during the close season. No problem if the nature of the event is 'pitch friendly'.

We are already a month into the footie season and only 2 full games held on The Amex pitch so wouldn't think a couple of rugby games at this time of the year is a huge problem, especially with the technology now built into modern pitches. I was quite impressed by the pitch at the KC compared to the state it was in last Feb after abuse by egg chasers and crap weather. Clearly it had recovered and the Super League during the footie close season hadn't compromised it either. so no problem.

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
a big yes from me. and the pitch would not be that damaged, the weather is not that bad in September / October and the Amex has world class drainage in place. It would be fine.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Brighton isn't a massive Rugby city like Hull or Bradford. However, being the only stadium on the list for an absolute mile (Reading/London being closest) i'm sure they will be able to fill it on a few occasions.

You what? This is the Rugby UNION World Cup.

Union is probably FAR more popular in Sussex than it is in either Bradford or Hull!

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
People saying "It will ruin the pitch" or "I've seen other clubs pitches where they share it with rugby", You do realise this is not for the WHOLE season, right?

So what if our grass is SLIGHTLY less than phenomenal for one or two matches. Its the bloody RUGBY WORLD CUP being held at a stadium we campaigned for for over a decade. What a brilliant moment to have our beautiful ground beamed around the world.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here