Amex retail catering

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
chips from a van outside the stadium, so it doesnt burn the stadium down

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Bollocks to that. Some dimbo ordering 9 pints for all his mates should not be allowed, it ties up the till for far too long and completely stuffs up everyone else unlucky enough to be behind him in that particular queue. Half time in particular is an extremely limited timeframe to queue and consume a beer, so the last thing you need is someone getting the drinks in for half a block.

I'd limit it to no more than 3 pints per person in any one transaction, and make ir nice and clear with signs over the tills. Just means one or two more mates will have to get off their arses and join another queue - at least then all the queues would, in theory, chug along a bit quicker.

Don't get this: why is one bloke ordering 9 pints slower than three blokes ordering 3 pints each? Putting everything on one transaction is quicker than three transactions (particularly with one person doing the till and the order).

My biggest gripe is queueing for 20 minutes to be told that the Harveys/veggie pies have been sold out - if the club were to implement a system warning fans of availability before they started queuing that would be great.

And why is not possible to pour pints of Harveys/lager before half-time? They must have a rough idea of how many will be sold - if they're pre-poured it would save time.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Don't get this: why is one bloke ordering 9 pints slower than three blokes ordering 3 pints each? Putting everything on one transaction is quicker than three transactions (particularly with one person doing the till and the order).

Depends if they're all in the same queue or not dunnit.
3 blokes in 3 queues buying 3 pints is quicker all round for everyone behind than 1 bloke ordering 9 pints.

Not really a biggee though, I'd have thought instances like that are relatively rare. I've never been stuck behind anyone doing mass orders as far as I know. As Bill said earlier, the main issue really is the speed / method of service, which has plenty of room for improvement.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
A couple of suggestions:

1. A "beer only" queue at each outlet

2. Pies in colour coded boxes - I appreciate that may increase costs slightly, but I'm getting fed up of getting the wrong bloody pie!

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
I can live with things running out occasionally and slightly variable quality control - that's the nature of mass catering. What isn't forgivable is the queuing. As noted on here in an earlier thread (and with a brilliant exaplantory video), one queue for multiple serving points in FAR quicker than having a queue for each server.

This would address the issue of tea slowing things down for example, and would also address the issue of the "9 pint man" because the other till are not affected by that delay. It's so simple even the Post Office can do it - one long snakey queue and almost everything in this thread would be addressed.

Please ask him to arrange this.

kano

Jun 17, 2011
I can live with things running out occasionally and slightly variable quality control - that's the nature of mass catering. What isn't forgivable is the queuing. As noted on here in an earlier thread (and with a brilliant exaplantory video), one queue for multiple serving points in FAR quicker than having a queue for each server.

This would address the issue of tea slowing things down for example, and would also address the issue of the "9 pint man" because the other till are not affected by that delay. It's so simple even the Post Office can do it - one long snakey queue and almost everything in this thread would be addressed.

Please ask him to arrange this.

yes! Or failing this at least some painted lines on the floor showing ques for each tillpoint.. currently its pot luck and sometimes the que has 2 tills at the end sometimes only 1 depending on how the first people to arrive have arranged themselves.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
yes! Or failing this at least some painted lines on the floor showing ques for each tillpoint.. currently its pot luck and sometimes the que has 2 tills at the end sometimes only 1 depending on how the first people to arrive have arranged themselves.

Literally the best thing to happen to me at The Amex to date, was when my WSU queue led to 2 tills, meaning it moved twice as quick as the queues either side of me. It was like the God of pies are looking after me that day.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
I'd limit it to no more than 3 pints per person in any one transaction, and make ir nice and clear with signs over the tills. Just means one or two more mates will have to get off their arses and join another queue - at least then all the queues would, in theory, chug along a bit quicker.

Its already limited to 4 per person per transaction. This caused the fun situation where me and a friend wanted 5 pints between us and we had to buy 4 and then do a second transaction for the next 1 (i.e. taking double the time). I wonder if the tills limit any purchase over 4? So the hypothetical 9 pints person scenario will lead to 3 transactions whether there are 3 or 9 people waiting to hold them.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
IMHO, the biggest slow down factor is the tea/coffee/bovril requests.
The operator turns and gets pies and usually beers quickly, but then he gets asked for two teas, so he goes to the hot water spout, has to remove the tops then fill and then return to the till, only to be asked for a hot chocolate and a Bovril so he goes through the same rigmorale.
They should have a permanent operator solely making teas, coffees, bovrils and hot chocolates as soon as a till operator calls to him his request, the operator could then be doing the payment transaction while the tea boy is making them.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Its already limited to 4 per person per transaction. This caused the fun situation where me and a friend wanted 5 pints between us and we had to buy 4 and then do a second transaction for the next 1 (i.e. taking double the time). I wonder if the tills limit any purchase over 4? So the hypothetical 9 pints person scenario will lead to 3 transactions whether there are 3 or 9 people waiting to hold them.

I ordered five after the game last week and paid in one transaction

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
I ordered five after the game last week and paid in one transaction

They must have thought you could handle your beer better...... or more likely the limit isnt coded into the tills but relies on the operator applying it.

Curly5194

Jun 20, 2011
Horsham
loads of "should's" in there

Exactly. After my face to face discussions with Stu Laming he assured me they were aware of all these problems, and things have improved in the WSL, but I think there is still an awful lot that needs improving. "Should" be doing something doesn't mean that the staff are actually doing it!

Curly5194

Jun 20, 2011
Horsham
At the Southampton game there was a chap who wanted to pay cash for his order but also wanted the staff to apply the 10% discount being a ST holder. By the time three members of staff had tried to explain the system to him it had taken a further 3 minutes, holding everyone up behind him. Sometimes we have to understand that we, the customer, are not always right!

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Can they provide any assurances about the Harveys stalls being available on the concourse in the East Stand ?

Is there any set time that the catering finishes in the East Stand after the game ? If not how is it decided when they close ?

Cheers for that TLO.

Chanty

Sep 1, 2011
Many points have been made already, but I have a couple of suggestions that might help reduce the queues, as I have some experience in the catering trade:

Installing vending machines for cold drinks and sweets - no need for staff, except for filling and emptying before/after matches. This might also help the kiosk staff, with fewer items to find on the tills, which they do seem to struggle with!

The walkers with the pies etc - maybe they could be a bit more proactive, as they just seem to walk up and down and don't actually say or do anything to attract custom. You practically have to chase after them to get something... Maybe they could could focus their attention around the kiosks and help reduce the queues, by offering their items instead of having to queue.

Hope this helps, as we would all like to see some improvement to the level of service currently offered.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
At the Southampton game there was a chap who wanted to pay cash for his order but also wanted the staff to apply the 10% discount being a ST holder. By the time three members of staff had tried to explain the system to him it had taken a further 3 minutes, holding everyone up behind him. Sometimes we have to understand that we, the customer, are not always right!

I too always assumed that the 10% rule only applied if you paid with your pre-loaded ST card but was told at the Burnley game, by a server that spotted my ST, that it didn't and would apply even if you use other methods of payment. So, it seems that some staff members say one thing and others say another - like refs, we should have some consistency. I don't think you can blame the bloke at the Southampton game if rules are applied erratically.

Dapper

Dec 4, 2009
A couple of personal observations (WSU)

I put the blame onto Azure. They havent embraced their contract at all.

They are making classic mistakes. Sort it out!

Few observations:

-) Queing system is outdated. In many stadiums overseas they have one person taking the money for drinks / food then you go to the bar and grab what you have paid for. This is much quicker and more suited to larger numbers of people wanting drink and food at the same time. Essentially, the people handing out the food / drink do not touch the money and vice versa. THis system helps 'foolproof' the fact Azure rely on students for the work force, take away the pressure of running the till to more regular members of staff and the newbies simply serve food. Simples.

-) The club are loosing revenue. Its impossible for me to take a pee, grab a beer / pie at half time and make it back for the second half starting. I've tried for the first 5 home games but eventually walked off from the queue to ensure I make it to my seat in time. That's £6.50 gone from the clubs revenue every home game, and I cant be the only one not spending their money. Granted the toilets arent Azures problem...but even so.

-) They need to have better stock control. I've been given the wrong pie two times, and on a separate occasion the pie was almost cold, and once in 1901 they ran out, and another time in WSU they ran out of as well. (Pies).

-) Staff. The training needs to include running 'pretend' orders through the till before opening takes place. Some of the staff in WSU are really good though, and they are doing their best, but you only need one newbie unsure of themselves on the tills and the whole things seems to fall down. Last weekend a new girl couldn't find the 'pie and pint' button on the till at 1.30pm and had to be shown where it was by another member of staff. Maybe she was forgetfull, or hadn't been given the right training, either way 1.30pm on a Sat afternoon is not the time to be trying to familarise yourself with the till.

-) Food outlets outside the ground would severely help things inside, but Im unsure if their is a license for this.

-) Alcohol and hot drinks. Never have I seen Tea and Coffee served in the same queue. Ridiculous pressure on the staff to serve tea and coffee 'quickly'

-) Lack of confidence when changing barrels. When the Harvey's goes some staff still look as though they do not now how to change the barrel (Ive seent this 3 times now) and it takes a manager to show them how to do it...obviously taking more time away from the tills.

That is all.:lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here