Amex retail catering

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Sorry to open another thread on this topic, but I didn't want it confused with the other one, as this is moving on from it slightly.

Stuart Laming is the Public Catering Manager at the Amex. I wrote to Elliott Moore just before Christmas with a few issues, and received a reply from Stuart today. He has asked that we have a face-to-face to discuss catering, rather than 'give a list of email excuses' as he puts it.

I would say at this point that I am in no way holding myself up as being representative of any fans on this issue (aside from myself), but if anyone would like me to, I am happy to ask Stuart some questions that other fans may have, especially if they're issues which I don't experience at the ground.

So if anyone has any sensible and/or constructive questions or comments about retail catering at the Amex, fire away. I can't promise to get answers for all of them, but I will try to ask them.

We're having a natter on this coming Monday evening.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Stewards to be about the queues and act to stop pushing in, especially at half time.
(Some nice people send a mate at 3.35, who is then joined by 8 mates with their orders on half time whistle).
Unfair to the well mannered people waiting behind.

Curly5194

Jun 20, 2011
Horsham
I have already mentioned Stuart Laming on the other thread and several people have asked for his email address to write to him. I too have met with Stu on a match day and found the discussions helpful, but let's not carried away with some sort of agenda with 100 questions! I feel that would be counter productive.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Stewards to be about the queues and act to stop pushing in, especially at half time.
(Some nice people send a mate at 3.35, who is then joined by 8 mates with their orders on half time whistle).
Unfair to the well mannered people waiting behind.

The guy in the queue is going to order 9 pints regardless - at some point in the process he needs some spare hands to help him get them away from the counter.

I really don't think you can do anything about that, and it's not the concern of the caterer themselves.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I have already mentioned Stuart Laming on the other thread and several people have asked for his email address to write to him. I too have met with Stu on a match day and found the discussions helpful, but let's not carried away with some sort of agenda with 100 questions! I feel that would be counter productive.

'100 questions' would probably fall into just about half a dozen categories anyway.

Personally, regarding issues, I would start with the whole 'pie roulette' business, and the speed with which the kiosks are replenished especially at peak times. Not a major concern for me, but others have raised this.

Curly5194

Jun 20, 2011
Horsham
Yup and all discussed with him previously. I think what would be good is for Stu to issue a clarification of the clubs position on the catering issues, because we are going to be asking the same questions over and over again. In all fairness the issues I raised in the WSL have improved but they still fall a long way short of being perfect every time.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Beer suggestion. Have "walkers" with packs on the back that can dispense draught beer (they have them at other sports events). I know they have fellas with bottles but the prices are rip off and they don't seem to do too much trade

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I think what would be good is for Stu to issue a clarification of the clubs position on the catering issue

Suggest they do that with the transportation too ... but the club don't seem to have communication as an important aspect of their business except for the nice stuff

Last edited:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The guy in the queue is going to order 9 pints regardless - at some point in the process he needs some spare hands to help him get them away from the counter.

I really don't think you can do anything about that, and it's not the concern of the caterer themselves.

I understand.

Those old queues at the Withdean burger stands, although archaic, now seem relatively well mannered and self policed. :lolol:

Whoever meets Azure, thank them for the pies (the best mass catering food I've come across, despite some bitching here recently),
and for the calmness of counter staff who never react to SOME very rude punters.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
It would be interesting to know if they have anything else planned for the future, food-wise. I'd be very interested if they were to introduce something a little more healthy, though perhaps there isn't the demand?

The spicy shredded beef with noodles was OK, what's happened to them?

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Can you ask him what he thinks the worlds hardest creature POUND FOR POUND in 2012 is.

Thanks.

Curly5194

Jun 20, 2011
Horsham
Just some of my previous discussions with Stu included:-

1. Food runs out by 2.30pm? Answer - this should not happen and each kiosk employs a Superviser who should be keeping an eye on the food levels. If this happens then they can call upon other kiosks to take extras from them to cover the shortfall.

2. Queuing for half an hour to be told food run out? Answer - there should be queue busters employed who will go up and down the lines telling people that certain foods have run out.

3. Outside catering kiosks? Answer - the club does not have a licence to sell food or drinks via external kiosks or burger vans.

4. Internal mobile kiosks? Answer - yes more mobile kiosks, i.e. Harvey's, etc should be supplied soon.

5. Slow staff? Answer - they appreciate that the constant turn over of staffing levels means a different level of service each visit but this should settle down in time.

6. No "balti pies"? Answer - all food advertised at the kiosk should be available at all times. If this is not happening then the Superviser needs to be informed. Obviously they will occassionally run out of certain foods but going back to answer 1 then they should be able to get more stock quite quickly from another kiosk.

This is by no means all the questions that were discussed as I was with Stu for about 20 minutes, but it gives you an idea of some of the questions and previous answers given by him. Also in no way does this reply imply the clubs official position as all answers are from memory and may now be different is asked again!

Sorry to open another thread on this topic, but I didn't want it confused with the other one, as this is moving on from it slightly.

Stuart Laming is the Public Catering Manager at the Amex. I wrote to Elliott Moore just before Christmas with a few issues, and received a reply from Stuart today. He has asked that we have a face-to-face to discuss catering, rather than 'give a list of email excuses' as he puts it.

I would say at this point that I am in no way holding myself up as being representative of any fans on this issue (aside from myself), but if anyone would like me to, I am happy to ask Stuart some questions that other fans may have, especially if they're issues which I don't experience at the ground.

So if anyone has any sensible and/or constructive questions or comments about retail catering at the Amex, fire away. I can't promise to get answers for all of them, but I will try to ask them.

We're having a natter on this coming Monday evening.

:facepalm: a fans representative!

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Not seen any so perhaps they can provide pint carriers (so one can carry the 9 pints!)

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
As this service is subject to contract I would hope there are clear service standards set out in that contract along with monitoring procedures, customer feedback mechanisms and penalty clauses. I'm aware that the details of commercial contracts are subject to confidentiality but in light of the fact that there are clearly a number of shortcomings with the service and in the interests of openness and transparency the fans should know what these contractual standards are and there should be a robust mechanism in place for regularly obtaining customer feedback and publishing the results against these standards. We need to know!

nail-Z

Jul 10, 2003
North Somerset
Pies distinguished by their pastry topping. So they can be checked by the customer before it's too late to switch. (I know the box contains a mark but this is often wrong)

Beer to be sold in (plastic) bottles.

Tell some people in the EAST about the deserted kiosk in the corner where there is NEVER anybody queueing. (not too many, mind, as I don't want to have to start queueing myself)

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I would say that IF they have run out of Balti pies then please remove the sign advertising it.

Four times I have asked and four times its "sold out"

Thats on four separate occasions by the way (2x WSU pre game and 2x WSL spread over the last four home games) I wasnt standing there saying balti pie balti pie balti pie balti pie.

Last edited:

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Not seen any so perhaps they can provide pint carriers (so one can carry the 9 pints!)

You're limited to 4 pints per person so if you want 9 then you need 3 adults.

As for general questions. I think I would like clarity on;

1) the mobile harveys sellers - how many can we expect the east stand should have.

2) the good quality pies are seemingly impacted by poor delivery by the caterers e.g. having then microwaved so they go soggy, not heated at all / having gone cold, not available at strange times (as I said on saturday the hot hold area in the north east catering area was bereft of ANY pies at 2.15), wrong pie handed over

3) when food or harveys or coffee is unavailable can they inform the queue with an estimated time for replenishment so as to keep customers informed/happy

4) Burger quality - will these improve and if so, when?

5) is there a veggie option gully's gang meal? Only seems to be hotdogs at the moment

6) Will the asian noodles/curry make a reappearance?

7) what are the plans for generally speeding up service e.g. extra runners (I think knowing of whats available would help this too)

the suggestions from nail-z about marking the pies to get the right ones and also the not lighting up things not available is a great idea

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports