Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Amex Light Pollution.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I saw photographers on the seafront complaining about it on Facebook.

image.jpeg

On the seafront you say, I'm surprised they missed this........:smile:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
FFS Nimbys at their worst. Next thing they will be measuring the decibels during an actual match.

Well if we concede an early goal they won't have too much to worry about.

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
Was driving west on the A27 towards Brighton early on the first two weekends of the year, and couldn't work out what that orange glow was.....sun rises in the East, after all. All explained now.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I saw what I believe to be it tonight. That's from the Hanover area. I'll try and get a picture next time. Found it more fascinating than appalling.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Some twit will now come forward suggesting that a rare breed of bat that is attracted to light has been found hanging in the beams, so the stadium should be demolished immediately in case others like it descend upon The Amex as a show of bat solidarity, thus wiping out a species that nobody never knew existed until Brighton and Hove Albion discovered electricity.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Some twit will now come forward suggesting that a rare breed of bat that is attracted to light has been found hanging in the beams, so the stadium should be demolished immediately in case others like it descend upon The Amex as a show of bat solidarity, thus wiping out a species that nobody never knew existed until Brighton and Hove Albion discovered electricity.

it could be a rare breed of glowworm

SuperFurrySeagull

Sep 25, 2003
Cardiff By The Sea
Similar issue here in Cardiff, I think it looks great, hence taking the photo. Probably less of an issue in the centre of the city

IMG_0065.jpeg

West Upper Seagull

Oct 31, 2003
Woodingdean
I live in Woodingdean and can assure you this glow has been there the whole time the stadium has existed, so can’t understand why it’s becoming an issue now !

I’d love to know how it possibly affects the wildlife anyway for Christ’s sake ?

:shrug:

West Upper Seagull

Oct 31, 2003
Woodingdean
Have just seen the petition, apparently it is having a devastating affect on wildlife, particularly insects ! FFS ! How does someone prove this so called devastation ?!

Here’s what the petition says......(it has just under 2500 signatures now)

“The American Express Community Stadium is creating devastating and distressing light pollution. Lights and heaters are used all night long to help the grass grow but they are so badly designed that the consequential light spill is the worst incident in a hundred square miles. This is having a devastating impact on wildlife, particularly insects as well as destroying the night sky for hundreds of thousands of people, causing distressing impacts on wellbeing, and preventing astronomy and night photography.
There is new scientific evidence (Owens et Al 2019) which shows that insects are declining eight times faster than birds and mammals at a terrifying 2.5% a year and light pollution is a key driver of this insect apocalypse. If we lose the insects the whole ecosystem collapses.
Light pollution is the easiest thing to fix as there are no clean up costs. We knew how to turn off the lights in the Blitz. If we fix this problem, we are no longer killing insects, we are contributing less to the climate emergency and we are saving money. It is a three nil win.
We call on Brighton and Hove Albion FC to please PUT THAT LIGHT OUT”

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Feels awkward saying it but on this issue I'm not with the Albion. They need to do something about ti to reduce the impact on residents and wildlife.

It only happens when there is a depression in the weather, causing low cloud cover. The Amex has been open since 2011, and it happens occasionally. It will all be forgotten in a couple of weeks, the same as it was last winter and the winter before.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here