Amex IS a Rugby World Cup 2015 venue!

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
I don't have a problem with hosting a couple of rugby games especially if it does not inconvenience The Albion. The timing of the Rugby World Cup in September is when the weather should be ok and ought to minimise the impact on our playing surface.

Opening up The Amex for other uses underlines its 'Community' stadium credentials, plus if we get a slice of the income it will help to pay down a bit more of our deficit. Plus why shouldn't we show off our fine stadium to the wider sporting world?

It's yet another indicator of just how far the Club has come in a short space of time. No one would have offered Withdean as a World Cup venue. Nice kudos for the City of Brighton & Hove and Sussex to be hosting World Cup event.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Re: Amex being tipped as a Rugby World Cup venue!

I just hope they offer tickets to real Rugby fans first, I'd hate it to end up being a crowd full of Amex happy clappers, the type who would go and watch the scrabble world championship as long as it was at our ground.

I get your point but how would you decide who deserves first crack at the tickets or counts as a 'real' rugby fan?

Multiple choice questions perhaps?

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Cobbydale
Excellent news.
It may be that my first game at the Amex may ironically be a rugby match!

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
Great news even though I have no interest in rugger.

I take it the club will make a decent amount of cash out of these games.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I just hope they offer tickets to real Rugby fans first, I'd hate it to end up being a crowd full of Amex happy clappers, the type who would go and watch the scrabble world championship as long as it was at our ground.

But that's 95% of rugby fans excluded...

Oct 25, 2003
i do find it slightly ridiculous how the RUGBY world cup is being played, almost exclusively, at football grounds

but hey ho, this is good for the city and i'll probably try and get tickets

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Hope we don't get it as from a selfish point of view don't want the pitch messed up
From a purely selfish point of view, I'm glad we've got it. Because we wouldn't have applied if Tony doesn't want it, so he obviously does. And if Tony wants egg chasing at the Amex, Tony bloody well gets egg chasing at the Amex. I've got your back Tone.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
If I where a 1901er, and had a £1000 seat, I wouldn't fancy a native Samoan sitting in it! They have to Pay what you weigh on Samoan Airlines. Mind you some of the sorts aren't bad.
So that's where they went!

Samoa%20Police%20Recruit%20graduation%202006.jpg

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
2 games of rugby on consecutive days won't damage the pitch?

It can barely cope with a bit of rain and 2 games if football 4 days apart!

The two games at the Amex will be very one-sided, though. South Africa are currently ranked second in the world, and Samoa are ranked seventh. Their opponents will be qualifiers.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports