Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Amex food quality and cost

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
It's called "captive audience" ...

Whenever, the ONLY alternative is to go without, laws of economics say premium [aka rip-off] prices will prevail.
It's a fact of life that we should have all be taught by our parents on our very first visit to the cinema.
Can't believe anyone is needing to point this out ....

Worst football ground food for me was a burger at Wrexham on the night of "Jury's Inn-gate" - I swear it was the sole of someone's shoe with onions added to provide some taste - as the saying goes, tough as old boots ...

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
The 90% increase in merch sales due to the fan first pricing jumps out. I wonder if there’s an overall profit to slashing food and beer?

I think there might be a reasonable correlation between a concourse food & drink price reduction and a longer queue / delay to pay ... simple economics again, price controlled demand ...

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Try going to the other PL grounds around the country. Amex has pie (or burger or hot dog), pint & crisps for £10. The food is amongst the best in the league and the pint is a real pint rather than a bottle that most clubs issue. Great value in my mind. Looking forward to Thursday though, great food last year and excellent beer.
Now the moan. East Upper must get the first pies out of the oven because I arrive 1 hour before KO and the pies are warm as opposed to baking hot every other season. Definitely been left for an hour. Also I notice that fewer people now use the kiosks. Queues are well down, and before you say 'contactless', upper east south kiosk is still cash.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I think there might be a reasonable correlation between a reduced price and a longer queue ... simple economics again, price controlled demand ...

The article states that beer and food sales went up 16% and this was partially driven by people arriving much earlier. Maybe the queues weren’t longer?

Worthing exile

May 12, 2009
Did anyone see what was thrown at the Goalkeeper at Tottenham? It looked like a coffee cup with lid? The next thing for PB to ban I assume.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
For me this is so simple, I'm surprised it's still an issue.

If I have time I go to my favourite cafe and have a fantastic full English before the match if I don't have time and choose to eat at the ground I expect to get fleeced and the food quality to not be as good.

Name me one stadium / event experience where the food is a reasonable price and the quality high ... I'll wait?

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
Name me one stadium / event experience where the food is a reasonable price and the quality high ... I'll wait?

As you didn’t specify the country, I shall say the Atlanta Falcons stadium. Not sure what sport they play without looking it up, but hotdogs are $1.50 apparently and Yankee hotdogs are always lovely.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
As you didn’t specify the country, I shall say the Atlanta Falcons stadium. Not sure what sport they play without looking it up, but hotdogs are $1.50 apparently and Yankee hotdogs are always lovely.

Baltimore Ravens as well.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Does anyone have better comparisons with a 'Soccer' team - rather than NFL where games are 3-4 hours and you can eat and drink at your seats?

My experience at NY City FC was that it was *very* expensive to eat / drink

Jul 7, 2003
The sausage rolls are superb IMO with the top three being:

Sausage roll with red onion
Sausage roll with stilton and christmas chutney
Sausage roll with red leicester

Not available in many parts of the ground. Ignoring the 1901 club etc, WSU has the second most expensive seats in the stadium and the worst choice for food and drink.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel

OK, good point, I'll raise you the food vendors at the HK Rugby Sevens ..... but I was thinking more UK based sporting and entertainment events.

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
Our local Spanish team (about Conf. South standard) has a tapas bar that is well frequented during a game. Beer & a tapa 2e.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Fella and his kid next to me never stop eating, pies, pizza, hotdogs on a constant conveyor belt unbelievable, still each to their own.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here