[Albion] Amex expansion.

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Those two white arches at the Amex are embedded underground - they are leaning back away from each other, literally pulling the entire stadium roof up and holding it in place, each side using its own weight against the other. Like facing someone, joining hands and leaning back to counterbalance each other without falling down. You want to re-do any of the roofs, you've got to take them all down and dismantle the arches.

Bit of a job.

spoil sport !

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
Those two white arches at the Amex are embedded underground - they are leaning back away from each other, literally pulling the entire stadium roof up and holding it in place, each side using its own weight against the other. Like facing someone, joining hands and leaning back to counterbalance each other without falling down. You want to re-do any of the roofs, you've got to take them all down and dismantle the arches.

Bit of a job.[/QUOTE]

so it is doable then? :)

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

Bit of a job.[/QUOTE]

so it is doable then? :)

tenor.gif

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I have to be honest, the size of the stadium we have is perfect for where we are in footballing terms and for our geographic fanbase. Expansion of the fanbase now is TV and overseas.

I think we have to be fair to TB also, whose pocket I assume we're thinking of picking for any particular exercise?

Can't remember many games when we've been packed to the rafters and all those empty corporate seats that were purchased a few years ago will be available over the coming months as Business UK tightens it's belt, I estimate around 18,000 STHs next season and plenty of tickets available to buy on a match by match basis.

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
I know the nimby's would kick off big time in Falmer village but the south stand has tons of room behind it to be adapted, plus theres not as much down that end as the North. It may ruin the overall aesthetic of the stadium but could copying a similar design as Huddersfield for the south add a few thousand more. Cut the roof off, go up steeper, rounded at top and put new E/W stand roof design on south end too (like Hudds)??

View attachment 133302

Always amuses me that this photo is doctored.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts

Bit of a job.

Maybe so, but it would only take 5 minutes.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
I think its obvious substantial expansion isn't going to happen but I do think the club will go ahead with the extra lounges and the small number of "normal seats" an additional 2k in premium seating would definitely improve the look of the empty corner and bring more income than perhaps 5k+ standard seats.

I also think the club will be sensible in their approach to pricing, the extra premium capacity give then an oppertunity to offer options between the standard and premium. I think there's a market for those who want better facilities, bars ect and will be happy to pay double the season ticket cost for it.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
I think its obvious substantial expansion isn't going to happen but I do think the club will go ahead with the extra lounges and the small number of "normal seats" an additional 2k in premium seating would definitely improve the look of the empty corner and bring more income than perhaps 5k+ standard seats.

I also think the club will be sensible in their approach to pricing, the extra premium capacity give then an oppertunity to offer options between the standard and premium. I think there's a market for those who want better facilities, bars ect and will be happy to pay double the season ticket cost for it.

Agree with the halfway house comment. I'd pay more for a dedicated bar, a raised view and seats for a drink after the game from my west lower seat. I don't want to go as far as the 1901 debenture etc although I've been up there and its nice after the game to sit down and have a few pints before getting off. I think there would be a market for a £70-80 PM type seat and a bar especially for those like me who are getting old!

East Staffs Gull

Jan 16, 2004
Birmingham and Austria
Agree with the halfway house comment. I'd pay more for a dedicated bar, a raised view and seats for a drink after the game from my west lower seat. I don't want to go as far as the 1901 debenture etc although I've been up there and its nice after the game to sit down and have a few pints before getting off. I think there would be a market for a £70-80 PM type seat and a bar especially for those like me who are getting old!

The risk is that large numbers might want to migrate from premium to halfway house.

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
Seen this floated a few times, but there's no way that roof is coming off. The entire roof is connected by a ring of steel that is embedded deep underground in concrete thrust blocks at the north and south ends.

You'd basically have to disassemble the entire stadium roof in order to raise it anywhere. Not gonna happen.

I think the ring of steel is something that goes around the outside of the stadium.

Still, the roofs can’t be moved, not even the North or South as they connect the arches together.

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
Not sure how possible it is, however if you lowered the pitch, a whole 1 seat row added is about 750 seats? Not sure you could more than 2 rows, so 1500 seats. Plus doing the same to the south stand as north with upper tier, that's another say 500 seats.

So that's 2000 that "could" be added (physically at least).

The new North Stand tier is about 350 seats.

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
And the City Council being in favour of any development, anywhere. Guess we’ll just have to expand only the section of the ground that lies in the Lewes District Council area :mad:

No part of the ground does, just the car park. Maybe put a tower in overlooking the ground?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I think the ring of steel is something that goes around the outside of the stadium.

Still, the roofs can’t be moved, not even the North or South as they connect the arches together.

Nope, the ring of steel goes over the roofs via the arches and the north/south stands.

I was lucky enough to go on a stadium tour in a group, along with Martin Perry and Richard Hebbard around a year / 18 months before they finished the thing. They went into great detail on the structure design as we walked around what was then the shell of the stadium. They even gave us a little nose-tap as to the large flat exposed concourse-sized area in the East stand, where a few years later the 2nd tier would be built (but had not been officially 'declared' as we only had permission for 22,500 at that point). Fascinating tour.

I'm an absolute stadium NERD so this was utter nectar.

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
I have to be honest, the size of the stadium we have is perfect for where we are in footballing terms and for our geographic fanbase. Expansion of the fanbase now is TV and overseas.

I think we have to be fair to TB also, whose pocket I assume we're thinking of picking for any particular exercise?

Can't remember many games when we've been packed to the rafters and all those empty corporate seats that were purchased a few years ago will be available over the coming months as Business UK tightens it's belt, I estimate around 18,000 STHs next season and plenty of tickets available to buy on a match by match basis.

I disagree. We have the biggest potential amount of fans in the country in terms of proximity (1 million+), I doubt we’ve even tapped into a quarter of those yet.

We’ve sold out all but 2 or 3 PL games (the ones we haven’t were because they were evening games where the away club didn’t take a full allocation), hence why the club want to add more seats.

How many times does this have to keep being said?

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick

The North East corner bit is only going to be 50 extra seats, pretty much the same as the South East. They probably could have got a few hundred normal seats in that area, but they went with the corporate option, which I find quite disappointing, although it will make the club more money.

4AA07F6E-BFEE-4CE8-A6BD-D19D0D5E025F.jpeg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports