Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Amex expansion.

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
Bolton, Preston, Sheffield United, Coventry, Burnley have all been in 4th divisions.

All historically bigger clubs.

Historically bigger because they’ve won more trophies.

Still haven’t had the size of crowds that we have had in the 4th tier though.

Interesting how crowds were generally bigger in the past though. I don’t think any of those other clubs were in the same league as us when we were in the 4th tier, so who knows how big their crowds would be.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Interesting how crowds were generally bigger in the past though. .

Guessing that is because tickets were cheaper. Don't just mean in total price but mean in relation to other things (as in football ticket was closer in price to a cinema ticket then than it is now for example).

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
Guessing that is because tickets were cheaper. Don't just mean in total price but mean in relation to other things (as in football ticket was closer in price to a cinema ticket then than it is now for example).

Yes, it’s a shame. I know a few people, proper fans, who have been priced out and they are the ones more likely to stick with the club if things go pear shaped. Such is football, I think our support was better in the League 1 days, probably because we didn’t have as many season ticket holders.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Your average working man, until the early 90's got paid weekly, If he was lucky had a bit of pocket money after shopping/bills and went for a few beers with his mates and the football on a Saturday.

Sadly long gone.

I couldn't comprehend affording a season ticket in my teens, or early 20's once I'd got a mortgage. . . Fortunately you didn't need one, it was only With dean that forced our hands, and sadly it has set a precedent half of us don't want.

pay on the gate, North/East would have the ground rocking by 2pm like it used to be at the GOldstone. Standing obviously. Burn those chairs!

Last edited:

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
Historically bigger because they’ve won more trophies.

Still haven’t had the size of crowds that we have had in the 4th tier though.

Interesting how crowds were generally bigger in the past though. I don’t think any of those other clubs were in the same league as us when we were in the 4th tier, so who knows how big their crowds would be.

Supporters weren’t fleeced at the turnstyles back then.

Historically bigger as far more seasons in top flight, more success, bigger household names etc.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
No club was magically BIG on day one of being formed. It's a process like any other. Can we get there? It's getting harder everyday but without moving in that direction what's the point?

I'd like to see us move incrementally towards 40k which I think we could sustain at PL level. Can we get that past the NIMBY's and philistines on the council and fund it? Who knows...

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick

Historically bigger as far more seasons in top flight, more success, bigger household names etc.

Yes, I know that, but the fact remains that their crowds were never as big as ours in that division.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel

** cough ** tickets for Derby League Cup game!

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
Terraces maybe? Seating takes up way more space for fewer people.

I’m not talking about capacity, I’m talking about how crowds were bigger decades ago, and as what was said before, it’s probably due to the price. Obviously there’s a few factors, but it’s across football.

For example we had crowds over 30,000 in the 4th tier, that wouldn’t happen now, even though we do have the capacity.

Kaiser_Soze

Who is Kaiser Soze??
Apr 14, 2008
I’m not talking about capacity, I’m talking about how crowds were bigger decades ago, and as what was said before, it’s probably due to the price. Obviously there’s a few factors, but it’s across football.

For example we had crowds over 30,000 in the 4th tier, that wouldn’t happen now, even though we do have the capacity.

Depending on what era you're talking, less games were on TV as well.

Arm chair fans didn't exist. Rather than spend a weekend taking in 3 or 4 games on TV, football fans would all turn out to watch their team play in the flesh.Even if they dropped ticket prices, i dont think the crowd numbers would rise dramatically. Some people are happy watching on TV.

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
Depending on what era you're talking, less games were on TV as well.

Arm chair fans didn't exist. Rather than spend a weekend taking in 3 or 4 games on TV, football fans would all turn out to watch their team play in the flesh.Even if they dropped ticket prices, i dont think the crowd numbers would rise dramatically. Some people are happy watching on TV.

Good point.

I do think there are many working class kids (not all of them, but a good percentage) who would love to be able to afford a ticket to one of our games, I think we are missing out on many potential fans (just like a lot of elite football clubs). I think football isn’t as accessible anymore, and I think that’s sad.

It’s the price of football, not having a go at the club. To me, football is about being accessible to everyone, but the higher you go - the less it is. I suppose I didn’t think about that when we were at Withdean!

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012

I guess TV has played it's part as well. It's so much easier (and cheaper as you said) to watch a game from the comfort of your home.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Good point.

I do think there are many working class kids (not all of them, but a good percentage) who would love to be able to afford a ticket to one of our games, I think we are missing out on many potential fans (just like a lot of elite football clubs). I think football isn’t as accessible anymore, and I think that’s sad.

It’s the price of football, not having a go at the club. To me, football is about being accessible to everyone, but the higher you go - the less it is.
Never underestimate this. The amount that "we" now have to spend going to The Amex is way beyond the pocket of working class families on average wages.

Never used to be like that. Equivalent of 1970s prices, adjusted for inflation into today's money, would be just £5 adult and £2.50 U16...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here