Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Amex expansion.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The Lewes Road has a wide, smooth dedicated cycle lane, only created about 5 years ago.

As someone who's only ever bombed down Coldean Lane and turned right at the junction, how would you come out of Coldean itself and get to the AMEX without getting mixed up with all the traffic?

When running late we'd see people walking, but not cycling, which if they were it would suggest they've come from a couple of miles further.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
As someone who's only ever bombed down Coldean Lane and turned right at the junction, how would you come out of Coldean itself and get to the AMEX without getting mixed up with all the traffic?

When running late we'd see people walking, but not cycling, which if they were it would suggest they've come from a couple of miles further.
Turn left and go into stanmer park and under the a27, there's a cycle path

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
And another thing... :lol:

As said in this post Covid world I'd be happier parking up and riding in but that's rather frowned upon.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Obviously the Lewes Road stretches to St Peters Church.

Was the poster critical of the final short length of Coldean Lane to The Amex, or the Lewes Road per se?

The earlier three miles is very safe, then I’ve seen many Albion cyclists pushing their bikes up the final few hundred metres from The Bridge Car Park.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Obviously the Lewes Road stretches to St Peters Church.

Was the poster critical of the final short length of Coldean Lane to The Amex, or the Lewes Road per se?

The earlier three miles is very safe, then I’ve seen many Albion cyclists pushing their bikes up the final few hundred metres from The Bridge Car Park.

But why push for more cycling provision when we have free rail transport, free P& R and cars at the stadium are positively discouraged.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
One of the developments is a “ “northern lights” inspired lounge “

1) What is a northern lights inspired lounge?
2) Why have they chosen such an inspiration?

To take the piss out of us amateur astronomers who complained about the light pollution.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
But why push for more cycling provision when we have free rail transport, free P& R and cars at the stadium are positively discouraged.

Ticking the sustainable boxes in the planning process. Zero pollution, whereas even rail and park n ride ultimately emit some carbon.

The enlarged bike racks at the stadium may just sit there gathering rust.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I would imagine there's a few little reasons as to why cycling isn't popular.
After all the other options, pre Covid, aren't great, post Covid might be a different story.

Distance.
Free buses.
The perception of safety.
The path down to The Bridge CP is lethal!!

The cycle path down from Ditching to the Pier is as good as it gets and considerably better than the rest of Sussex.

If I could I would cycle, it just seems like an odd objection when considering the location of the stadium, the county wide (and some) popularity of the team and the lack of cycling provision outside of the club.

I would add the idea of perhaps being too sweaty to sit in a stadium of people after cycling there
Possibly the hassle of getting changed to avoid that
Storage of things (even if you don't get changed and thus have the change of clothes to worry about, you don't seem to be able to take your helmet in with you, maybe you cycle with other stuff (repair kit, just in case, etc)
Not being able to drink and cycle

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
I've sat in stadiums before in the seats immediately underneath a 'shelf'. Not a position I would choose; you feel oddly detached from the rest of the stadium.

Same, I can think of a couple - Brentford and Arsenal.

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
Is the North Stand overhang 6 rows? I thought it was 5, what is the South stand overhang? 4,5 or six?

If you are asking about the South East overhang from the box, then I’d say it was about 3 rows. I have sat over there, but I think it was before the box was built. I would imagine it’s similar to this:
CB1CDB36-D643-4464-822A-D6BD95905529.jpeg

Blue lines (I’ve added) represent seats, so you could say the overhang will be 6 rows.
03219D41-96A2-4161-9CA7-257E064FA03B.jpeg

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Ticking the sustainable boxes in the planning process. Zero pollution, whereas even rail and park n ride ultimately emit some carbon.

The enlarged bike racks at the stadium may just sit there gathering rust.

Does any other project have to just through such hoops?
Is the council as environmental friendly as the club?
Does the council prioritise cycling over other forms of transportation?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Does any other project have to just through such hoops?
Is the council as environmental friendly as the club?
Does the council prioritise cycling over other forms of transportation?

Yes, they do. Especially with BHCC, who obsess on stuff like this, but have a poor recycling rate. SDNP planners are the same.

Small to large housing developments get the nod when they promise car share, bike racks, car recharging. Much of which is then ignored by the new residents, who love the internal combustion engine for journeys of any length. [I work with some developers].

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
The Lewes Road has a wide, smooth dedicated cycle lane, only created about 5 years ago.

It's so easy to cycle down. There's also a turning just before Coldean Lane where you can get across the road, and head up past BHASVIC, and then cycle on to the stadium. Although that stretch is always busy on a match day, so best avoided.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
It's so easy to cycle down. There's also a turning just before Coldean Lane where you can get across the road, and head up past BHASVIC, and then cycle on to the stadium. Although that stretch is always busy on a match day, so best avoided.

BACA?

I bet it’s quicker cycling than using any of the bus options.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Could it be easy to encourage cycling by returning the transport levy for use of the cycle stands?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
BACA?

I bet it’s quicker cycling than using any of the bus options.

Yes, BACA, apologies.
The bus is actually really quick due to the bus route. Once you've got past the BACA/Stanmer traffic lights, you're through on the bus. The cycle route from the pier to Falmer is pretty flat, so you can motor it along. The problem comes when the wind is strong.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Yes, BACA, apologies.
The bus is actually really quick due to the bus route. Once you've got past the BACA/Stanmer traffic lights, you're through on the bus. The cycle route from the pier to Falmer is pretty flat, so you can motor it along. The problem comes when the wind is strong.

Wind can be a Sussex coast cycling nuisance. A price paid for the fresh air.

Last summer I cycled back from Lewes next to the A27, battling a gusty 25mph, the valley acted as a wind tunnel. Painfully slow.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here