Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Americans Don't Know Why They Celebrate 4th of July!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Had a lovely weekend in Rhode Island last week, most buildings a good couple of hundred years older than anything in brighton, where we were.
The oldest building in Brighton is about 1100 AD, so most buildings in Rhode Island are a couple of hundred years older than that?

Old buildings in the USA - when in Nashville many years ago we followed some signs directing us to the "historic business district" which we found consisted of some 1950's office buildings. In New Orleans we did see quite a few relatively (200 or so yes old) buildings but even our tour confessed to embarrassment when taking Europeans around on a "historic" tour.

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
the yanks have very little history compared with Britain (and anyone who uses ANCESTRY will know they are always trying to pinch ours).
time to re-invade :lolol:

That comment is probably on par with anything the "thick" Americans in the vid said..!

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
That comment is probably on par with anything the "thick" Americans in the vid said..!

really well at least with my limited education I know some of our history, even the significance of July 4th, that video just proves how little history they have and even that they know little of, and really how little they care about what they do have

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
All this Americans are dumb philistines with no history is so insecure and needy it's tragic.

Especially this weekend, the history of our and our rivals colonies there is fascinating, and there's so much to learn and explore. If you don't payattention to our history in North America you cant really understand our industrialisation, consequent imperialism and how it shaped modern Britain and the world.

It wasn't a boat full of religious nutters from England pitching up and deciding to become a different race who were thicker less sophisticated more racist and generally worse people than the english. The amount of snobbery towards the U.S. on here is astounding, and in itself so unsophisticated and unworldly, ironically.

You are right, they didn't decide to be less sophisticated, more racist and generally worse than the English, it just happened, possibly The Spanish influence?

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
really well at least with my limited education I know some of our history, even the significance of July 4th, that video just proves how little history they have and even that they know little of, and really how little they care about what they do have

It wouldn't take much effort on the streets of Brighton to come up with an equally ignorant video. Some of the stupid comments on here make that quite clear.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
The oldest building in Brighton is about 1100 AD, so most buildings in Rhode Island are a couple of hundred years older than that?

I think he could be right, mind. There is little left of pre-1700 architecture in Brighton. I can't name a single building in its fullest form, except the parish church.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
All this Americans are dumb philistines with no history is so insecure and needy it's tragic.

Especially this weekend, the history of our and our rivals colonies there is fascinating, and there's so much to learn and explore. If you don't payattention to our history in North America you cant really understand our industrialisation, consequent imperialism and how it shaped modern Britain and the world.

It wasn't a boat full of religious nutters from England pitching up and deciding to become a different race who were thicker less sophisticated more racist and generally worse people than the english. The amount of snobbery towards the U.S. on here is astounding, and in itself so unsophisticated and unworldly, ironically.

Generally agree with this. Makes me squirm with embarrassment when Brits start with the old 'Americans eh?' Just makes us sound ignorant and arrogant. Nothing wrong with some quality piss taking but it's mostly of the 'You're from Brighton? Gay!' variety.
'They don't speak proper' is the one that really gets me. People telling them they don't know how to speak their own language.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011

Seriously? That video PROVES it?
I'm sure it would only take about 5 minutes to post a video 'proving' all Brits are thick.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I think he could be right, mind.
If he is, that's cool, we can all learn something. But I don't think he is.

There is little left of pre-1700 architecture in Brighton.
Agreed, but what is the average age of the buildings in Rhode Island? There's over a million people living there now, more than double the population of 1900, so I'd guess that the average property there is newer than 1900. Ignoring the average for a minute, I'm sure there are plenty of old houses there - I'd be interested to know what sort of age, and how many there are. I imagine they have many more pre 1800 buildings than we do. But we do have some very old ones. St Andrew's Church on Church Road in Hove is about 12th century, and St Nicholas' Church near the clock tower is mid 1300s. There are a few other old churches too I think. Hangleton Manor pub is 15th century, the main part of which was rebuilt in the 16th century. I think there are a few old 16th and 17th century buildings in the lanes. Has Rhodes Island really got a shed load of buildings 200 years older than all of that lot?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Ask people what "Trafalgar Day" celebrates?
I agree with the point that some people not knowing what the day celebrates is not exactly proof everyone is stupid, but you can't compare a day that we don't really celebrate with America's biggest celebration. I don't know when Trafalgae Day is, I'm not sure I've ever seen it celebrated. Although I know what it celebrates and the year of the event.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
You say that but I came a across several examples of it being celebrated here today, and by English people, including flags, bunting, a fête and a 10% discount on a pub's American style burger.

Being celebrated to sell stuff ? Just like St Guiness day :smile:

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
One of my favourites, was a septic insisting that The Beatles were in fact Americans, out of New Jersey apparently. It took about three weeks to convince him he was wrong,pre internet, obviously

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
One of my favourites, was a septic insisting that The Beatles were in fact Americans, out of New Jersey apparently. It took about three weeks to convince him he was wrong,pre internet, obviously

I had a one hour discussion with a yank whilst lining up for a ride at Disney in Florida trying to convince him that James Bond was British, he was having none of it.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Since we're on the subject of dumb Americans (and by that, I don't mean Americans are generally dumb, I mean the ones that are), I was in LA and Vegas in 1994, and stopped at a gas station to fill up. I paid with travelers cheques, and showed my passport. The guy at the till said 'Ah, British. Are you German?'

Now I know that not all petrol station attendants are going to be the brightest, but German! FFS, how ****ing stupid can you be!

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Since we're on the subject of dumb Americans (and by that, I don't mean Americans are generally dumb, I mean the ones that are), I was in LA and Vegas in 1994, and stopped at a gas station to fill up. I paid with travelers cheques, and showed my passport. The guy at the till said 'Ah, British. Are you German?'

Now I know that not all petrol station attendants are going to be the brightest, but German! FFS, how ****ing stupid can you be!

:laugh:

Wouldn't happen in Germany..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here