Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Americans and 'Soccer'

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
Portugal v. Mexico friendly at Foxboro's Gilette Stadium, home of the NE Patriots, seems to have drawn quite well last night.

It helps that E. Massachusetts has a significant Portuguese (& Brazilian) immigrant tradition -- the schools in Fall River and New Bedford teach the langugage as a matter of course.

Last edited:

willyfantastic

Mar 1, 2009
There are some aspects of the way that the big sports in the US are run that I would love to see in football here - salary caps and a draft system to name but two.

They have salary caps because most are on obscene wages that would pay of the debts of most countries anyway, so dont need a cap.

salary cap would have to be global though - which won't be agreed on, otherwise we will just be destroyed in europe

i love the idea of the draft in terms of both excitement, and the fact it gets more athletes into university, so that (some) of them will be able to do something meaningful if they dont make it in the pro game. i dont think it would work here though due to the academys already set up, and the lack of university numbers, and lack of interest in university sports - however it might go some way to improving that - in a perfect world, you would have a domestic draft at least, and id love to have interest in university teams so i could watch the mighty kent uni tear it up

not gonna happen though

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
You'll see ruminations here in the US about replacing the corrupt NCAA system, where (mostly) publicly-funded state colleges and universities have been suborned into providing the NFL and NBA, at no cost to themselves, with their development leagues with something more like the multi-division professional system usually found in football. Perhaps promotion and relegation, too.

The young players under development would actually be paid actual money, the colleges and universities would be out of the sports-management racket, and a whole lot of under-the table shenanigans would cease.

When I was at UNC in the early eighties, Chapel Hill on football Saturdays was the the third-largest city in the state -- for six hours. Why is that a core mission of a university?

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
Thank Christ American's aren't into "soccer" yet - if you think the beautiful game has been ruined by money, it's nothing compared to what it'll be like when the yanks get into it.
This is true.

teamstats

Apr 14, 2014
American Football is called Football because the ball is a foot long. Seems to make sense to me...

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
American Football is called Football because the ball is a foot long. Seems to make sense to me...

Could make sense if it is true, but cannot find anything on the net to back this up.

I have found this though; An official NFL football is slightly larger than high school or other professional leagues. The length should measure about 11 inches from tip to tip, and the in circumference at the center of the football should measure about 22 inches.

Maybe it should be called an American roughlyish a foot ball.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here