Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] American student jailed in Dubai for tapping a security officer on the arm !

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
See link below to story .

Basically the young lady was partly strip searched to prove she had to have a underwiring garment due to a medical procedure to hold her body in place . She tapped a security officer on the arm to get her attention to help her put it back in place & was accused of assault .

Only in Dubai where they seem to be able to jail people especially tourists for tiny minor things .

I’ve read other stories about people being jailed in Dubai for tiny things - hence the reason however nice the hotels and beaches I would never set foot there . Just not worth the risk.

NY student, 21, jailed for ONE YEAR in Dubai
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...aist-binder.html?ito=native_share_article-top

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
I've just got back from a trip to Chennai, where everybody else laughed that I chose the BA flight instead of Emirates or Ethiad, who are 'much better'. My response is;

"Two reasons. Firstly, BA fly direct from Heathrow, so it's a much faster journey for a slightly 'lesser' experience. And secondly and more importantly, I do not like the Middle East, their utter lack of tolerance and humanity, their stance toward women, gay people, foreigners or pretty much anyone who isn't exactly like them. I will not ever go to their country for these reasons - I don't care how polished it all looks."

I mean, there is also some self-preservation there now, given I have repeatedly made these sorts of statements on social media, I wouldn't be surprised if I got dragged off the moment they scanned my passport.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
You would think they would want to encourage tourism , yet their rules are so super strict it will just put people off going . Lack of decent human rights not a vote winner either .

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
I'd take with a pinch of salt any articles in the Daily Mail.
Dubai is the party capital of the Middle-East, it's the playground for all the neighbouring Arab countries.
There are always seems to be plenty of East European working ladies available and also lots of alcohol consumed.

I much preferred Abu Dhabi and Qatar which are both calmer and more relaxed (read stricter).

Basically the young lady was partly strip searched to prove she had to have a underwiring garment due to a medical procedure to hold her body in place . She tapped a security officer on the arm to get her attention to help her put it back in place & was accused of assault .

Only in Dubai where they seem to be able to jail people especially tourists for tiny minor things .

I’ve read other stories about people being jailed in Dubai for tiny things - hence the reason however nice the hotels and beaches I would never set foot there . Just not worth the risk.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...aist-binder.html?ito=native_share_article-top
That’s why I won’t EVER go to the Arab states. Bunch of c**ts. No human rights and they hide under the guise if appeasing western values. So many mongs visit Dubai thinking its some lovely place where its all innocent rich mens playground. Anything but.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I dislike Arab states and culture and that’s why having visited one I shall never return. In one lifetime you can’t go everywhere so why waste time on those that don’t reflect your values? As for Dubai, my god, if that’s your idea of a good time then you’re very much welcome to it.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Lived there for six years ('76-'82) when it was still almost all desert.

Would like to go back sometime to see the ridiculous new Dubai.
I'd like to go there just to see what all the fuss is about, but I think I'd hate it. Same with Vegas*. I think it's something to do with massive developments in the middle of deserts that intrigues me.

As for this story, half of me is 'take it with a pinch of salt', but the other half is 'that sounds about right, given what I've previously heard about Dubai.

*There's no need to say how great Vegas is. I appreciate those who love it (and I know a LOT of peiople who do), really love it and that's fine. But, as someone who doesn't drink alcohol and has close to zero interest in gambling, I already know it's not really for me!

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
Positive though. My neighbour was telling me I should visit Dubai because they have M&S and "It's just like being in England but much hotter"

Sounds BRILLIANT
Operates as a franchise in the middle east, by Al Futtaim retail. M&S have 100 stores in India, and this is where they will expand. If your mate likes hot places with M&S, then India is the choice. There is also the benefit that you won't get thrown in jail for bumping into a stranger.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
You're all very welcome to come and visit me, @bhafc99 and the rest of the Seagulls over Dubai.

The winter break it is then? :wink:

Stumpy Tim

I think people are confusing people from these countries with their state. I was in Jordan last week and the people are unbelivably friendly. I go to Dubai regulary, and have been to Saudi, Israel (numerous times), Kuwait and various places. They're all great places to visit.

I've also spent a fair bit of time in Russia. Great people there too.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

I wouldn't step foot in the vile country for a number of reasons but mostly it's stance on gay and unmarried couples. No better than Saudi Arabia. It's just been washed clean by so called celebrities going there for their holidays.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
As someone who’s lived here for 12 years, I can confirm that story is absolute and utter bollocks, even Trump would blanch at the degree of outright bullshitting involved.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Lived there for six years ('76-'82) when it was still almost all desert.

Would like to go back sometime to see the ridiculous new Dubai.
I was there as it was really starting to go nuts.

I enjoyed visiting the girlfriends’ friends who lived and worked in an animal sanctuary in the desert.

The city itself? The Jameira beach hotel had recently opened. It was okay. Had air-con so I was happy.

If you like shopping, hotels and uhm… more shopping and hotels, you’re well catered for.

I didn’t see that there was much else to do there.

Tasteless dump, IMO.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
As someone who’s lived here for 12 years, I can confirm that story is absolute and utter bollocks, even Trump would blanch at the degree of outright bullshitting involved.
How are you able to confirm that ?

Last edited:

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Operates as a franchise in the middle east, by Al Futtaim retail. M&S have 100 stores in India, and this is where they will expand. If your mate likes hot places with M&S, then India is the choice. There is also the benefit that you won't get thrown in jail for bumping into a stranger.
'This isn't just M&S, this is AL FUTTAIM M&S' :lolol:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Sauce?

Rather than reading the Mail link, I found this, which seems to indicate it followed a security search due to her wearing a medical brace.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here