Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] American mass shootings

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

Go to 3:00

Sacha Baron Cohen doing a spoof add with a gun nut who GENUINELY thinks this is a real advert.

Song:
Aim at the head, not the shoulder or the toes or the toes

Ah yes. I remember that now!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Not your post per se, but there always seems to be a rush to blame pretty much ANYTHING other than the actual gun/person when there is a shooting. I'm sure there are LOADS of trans people with MH issues around the world who will never carry out a mass shooting. It's almost as if the availability of – and easy access to – guns might have something to do with it. I'm not even sure why them being trans is being highlighted.

Funny also, how, anecdotally, black people carrying weapons almost never have MH issues and that non-US citizens are portrayed as terrorists, too. The media/political spin is out of control and reels people in every single time.

As many on here have said, things will never change. What a messed up situation.
When you were 18 did you know anyone who would have rocked up at Focus DIY and bought a couple of automatic weapons if they could, no questions asked? I certainly did.

Not sure any of them would have gone into a school and shot the place up, though.

I think that certain lines that one does not cross are located in a very different place in America. Once behaviors are normalized, even condoned, then what's to stop some people pushing out the boat even more than the norm, when they get a bit of sand in their vagina?

Here are mass shootings in the US for 2023: https://www.gunviolencearchive.org/reports/mass-shooting

There are six pages on the list and I don't have the time to tot up the death toll. For 2023. Three months. Christ.

Only a minority of voters in America are remotely bothered, anyway.

And, no, America wouldn't introduce more gun controls if they had proportional representation. If anything they would probably introduce more guns.

Whoislloydy

May 2, 2016
Vancouver, British Columbia

AstroSloth

Dec 29, 2020
Not your post per se, but there always seems to be a rush to blame pretty much ANYTHING other than the actual gun/person when there is a shooting. I'm sure there are LOADS of trans people with MH issues around the world who will never carry out a mass shooting. It's almost as if the availability of – and easy access to – guns might have something to do with it. I'm not even sure why them being trans is being highlighted.

Funny also, how, anecdotally, black people carrying weapons almost never have MH issues and that non-US citizens are portrayed as terrorists, too. The media/political spin is out of control and reels people in every single time.

As many on here have said, things will never change. What a messed up situation.
When it's a young white christian male it's always that he was a lone shooter etc.

When it's the very worst of a group that republicans hate it's the entire groups fault.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
When you were 18 did you know anyone who would have rocked up at Focus DIY and bought a couple of automatic weapons if they could, no questions asked? I certainly did.

Not sure any of them would have gone into a school and shot the place up, though.

I think that certain lines that one does not cross are located in a very different place in America. Once behaviors are normalized, even condoned, then what's to stop some people pushing out the boat even more than the norm, when they get a bit of sand in their vagina?

Here are mass shootings in the US for 2023: https://www.gunviolencearchive.org/reports/mass-shooting

There are six pages on the list and I don't have the time to tot up the death toll. For 2023. Three months. Christ.

Only a minority of voters in America are remotely bothered, anyway.

And, no, America wouldn't introduce more gun controls if they had proportional representation. If anything they would probably introduce more guns.
No.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
This is one of those threads - where you can come back in six months, 1 year, 5 years, whenever - and nothing will have changed.

I think a big part of the problem is that the bulk of the American population - 63% - does not have a valid passport, and so is largely oblivious to the disgust the rest of the "West" has about lack of gun control in the USA.

In society, the more that people mix the more barriers are broken down, tolerance levels increase and different cultures and beliefs are able to co-exist. However, the USA is about as conservative as it gets.

Back in 2019 a OnePoll study commissioned by travel luggage provider Victorinex showed over half of American had never owned a passport, 54% had visited 10 states or fewer and 40% had never left the USA. In short, they need to get out more. The Australians and Kiwis manage it.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
It's quite hard to be shocked by Americans and their gun antics. But I was indeed shocked to read today (Washington Post) that 1 in 20 Americans own an AR15 style assault rifle (every gun maker produces it's own version of the original) ..... 1 in 20 ! 😲
😲 😲 For the average Amex crowd that is 1500 assault rifle owners. What hope of somehow reeling back on that madness .....

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It's quite hard to be shocked by Americans and their gun antics. But I was indeed shocked to read today (Washington Post) that 1 in 20 Americans own an AR15 style assault rifle (every gun maker produces it's own version of the original) ..... 1 in 20 ! 😲
😲 😲 For the average Amex crowd that is 1500 assault rifle owners. What hope of somehow reeling back on that madness .....
I wouldn't be at all surprised if that statistic is somewhat disingenuous.

I'm going to assume it relies on Americans only owning 1 (one) assault rifle each.

I'm also going to assume if you own one, easily accessible assault rifle, the next logical step is to buy another one.

Oh and if you think that's scary.
If there were a general election, statistically speaking, 6000 people at t'AMEX tomorrow would still vote Tory next Thursday.

Last edited:

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
This is one of those threads - where you can come back in six months, 1 year, 5 years, whenever - and nothing will have changed.

I think a big part of the problem is that the bulk of the American population - 63% - does not have a valid passport, and so is largely oblivious to the disgust the rest of the "West" has about lack of gun control in the USA.

In society, the more that people mix the more barriers are broken down, tolerance levels increase and different cultures and beliefs are able to co-exist. However, the USA is about as conservative as it gets.

Back in 2019 a OnePoll study commissioned by travel luggage provider Victorinex showed over half of American had never owned a passport, 54% had visited 10 states or fewer and 40% had never left the USA. In short, they need to get out more. The Australians and Kiwis manage it.
There's some truth in that. However if one considered the continent of Europe as one place, fewer people from Europe will have travelled outside of Europe and the figures may not be too dissimilar. The USA is so large and varied, it may as well be a different country from state to state. As for Australian and New Zealand travellers they are a bit of an outlier both in that they usually are more likely to have near relatives in the UK etc and due to their countries being almost 'alone' geographically.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Not a mass shooting but equally disturbing. Kaylin Gillis was in a car which mistakenly turned into the wrong driveway in Hebron in upstate New York whilst looking for a friends house. The house owner then came out and opened fire on the car killing Kaylin. If this happened in the UK I'm guessing the homeowner would have come out to see what was going on and probably given directions to the correct address or worst case told them to get off his effing property - either way the occupants of the car would have lived to tell the tale.

The outcome is an innocent young woman out for an enjoyable evening with friends and with her whole life ahead of her was killed by a paranoid home owner. Utter madness

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/apr/17/new-york-man-open-fire-murder

Whoislloydy

May 2, 2016
Vancouver, British Columbia
Not a mass shooting but equally disturbing. Kaylin Gillis was in a car which mistakenly turned into the wrong driveway in Hebron in upstate New York whilst looking for a friends house. The house owner then came out and opened fire on the car killing Kaylin. If this happened in the UK I'm guessing the homeowner would have come out to see what was going on and probably given directions to the correct address or worst case told them to get off his effing property - either way the occupants of the car would have lived to tell the tale.

The outcome is an innocent young woman out for an enjoyable evening with friends and with her whole life ahead of her was killed by a paranoid home owner. Utter madness

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/apr/17/new-york-man-open-fire-murder
4 days earlier in Kansas City, Ralph Yarl, a 16 year old kid, mistakenly went to the wrong address to pick his twin brothers up from a playdate. After ringing the doorbell, the 84 year old homeowner opened the door and shot him in the head, and then shot him again without a single word exchanged.

Ralph is alive, but in critical condition.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/apr/17/black-kansas-city-teen-shot-wrong-address

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here