[News] American mass shootings

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
https://apnews.com/article/uvalde-texas-school-shooting-44a7cfb990feaa6ffe482483df6e4683

About a half-hour before the mass shooting, Ramos sent the first of three online messages warning about his plans, Abbott said.

Ramos wrote that he was going to shoot his grandmother, then that he had shot the woman. In the last note, sent about 15 minutes before he reached Robb Elementary, he said he was going to shoot up an elementary school, according to Abbott. Investigators said Ramos did not specify which school.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
[tweet]1529643462953521153[/tweet]

[tweet]1529710884636938240[/tweet]
[tweet]1529722600942735360[/tweet]

[tweet]1529708434995683329[/tweet]

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
America needs to get its head out of its arse and address gun control rather than concentrating on box ticking and political correctness.

The works of Charles Dickens have a blanket ban across the educational system in Chicago and a large number of other Cities and States because he is a “White Privileged Author”, so an 18 year old in Chicago can’t read David Copperfield in High School but can go and buy a gun from Walmart.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Complete cowardice on the part of successive elected governments to confront the gun lobby head-on. What on earth is WRONG with that ****ed-up nation? Don't #kidslivesmatter? ???

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Complete cowardice on the part of successive elected governments to confront the gun lobby head-on. What on earth is WRONG with that ****ed-up nation? Don't #kidslivesmatter? ???

I think the absence of any leader to take on the gun lobby could be because they are afraid that they and their family will be shot for doing so. It'll take incredibly brave leadership.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

The problem now is banning guns, would have to lead to a gun amnesty to try and get the arms off the streets. The majority wouldn't hand theirs in.

They could start by banning military grade assault weapons.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
..................and all those fully armed policemen who apparantly stood around for forty minutes whilst being urged by onlookers to do something about it ............

Absolutely right - they have to consider the health and safety considerations of going in against a deranged teenager with a gun who might have shot some of them too, don't they. Perhaps they should be armed with protect rifles, rather than assault weapons!

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Just seen this on Sky news and it makes you despair.
'Why only in America?' Sky News asks Ted Cruz

https://news.sky.com/video/share-12621594

I guess as UK citizen we will never be able to understand or comprehend the deep rooted cultural aspect of gun ownership in the US. However, it is what it is and maybe we have to accept that the average American householder may own a small arms pistol for self defence. What we can never grasp is how easy your ' normal ' American citizen can so easily purchase military level assault rifles? How on earth does that work and where is the justification? Did this shooter aged only 18 just walk into a gun shop and ask for two assault rifles with ammo and the gun shop owner just takes the cash and doesn't bat an eyelid?

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
I forget who said it, but someone pointed out that the NRA is an organisation anyone can sign up to. And then they get to vote on who the leaders are, etc. So, why doesn't an anti-gun movement organise a mass registration and then vote out the spoons who lead the NRA to weaken it from within?

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Too many rednecks producing too many rednecks. America will never change without a civil war and that won’t help matters either.

by rednecks I take it you mean southern white folk....

Slightly racist, considering yesterdays murderer was called Salvador Ramos.

other major mass shootings include yes the racist Payton Gendron in Buffalo 10 dead
plus
Uk Thang - The Collierville Kroger shooting - 14 dead
Hialeah shooting - 20 dead at a hip hop concert
Frank Robert James - Black Nationalist - 29 shot - none dead
Ahmad Al Aliwi Al-Issa boulder shooting:- 10 dead
DeWayne Craddock Virginia Beach - 13 dead

Don't get me wrong, there are and have been many racist mass murders, but to imply it is all white rednecks as you call them is WRONG.

fit's nicely into a warped view of a warped country though, the problem of gun crime in America is far from just a white problem.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I think the absence of any leader to take on the gun lobby could be because they are afraid that they and their family will be shot for doing so. It'll take incredibly brave leadership.

The USA has a history of murdering their presidents. The next one to take on the gun lobby and attempt to introduce serious controls will be dead before the end of his first term. If Biden gets a second term he might attempt it if he's brave enough, on the grounds that he's got fewer years than most to lose - but I won't hold my breath.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
The USA has a history of murdering their presidents. The next one to take on the gun lobby and attempt to introduce serious controls will be dead before the end of his first term. If Biden gets a second term he might attempt it if he's brave enough, on th grounds that he's got fewer years than most to lose - but I won't hold my breath.

The point is that it's not currently worthwhile for a president to try and change anything, because of the staunch "do nothing" attitude of the Senate. The November elections are a crucial opportunity for actual Democrats to get an overwhelming majority which will enable them to suggest and pass real reform.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The point is that it's not currently worthwhile for a president to try and change anything, because of the staunch "do nothing" attitude of the Senate. The November elections are a crucial opportunity for actual Democrats to get an overwhelming majority which will enable them to suggest and pass real reform.

Whether there's a chance of succeeding or not, a serious attempt and statement of intent is enough to guarantee a death sentence with these nutters around.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
As an aside, our police seem to take our cues from the US. In Shoreham yesterday two coppers got out of their car and they looked like they were going into battle. Okay, they were unarmed but they had very military grade clothing, vests etc. There’s really no need.
I’d like to see them back in great coats and tit-hats. Seriously.

I know we’ll not return to that uniform or style of policing but do they need to dress like Judge Dredd?

I find it quite offensive in some ways. Who do they think they are?!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports