[News] American mass shootings

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
So I need to spell it out. You made a wildly sweeping statement implying that people who vote a different way to you do not take account of the future and young people’s interests. You took a moral high ground. That is irrelevant to a thread about a mass shooting. That should, I hope, be a little clearer but feel free to tie yourself in knots again :)

No, just stop derailing the thread. Like you said you weren't going to do.

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
Sad to say I honestly don't find it shocking in the slightest.

Nothing changed after Sandy Hook how can you be shocked now?

These deaths are the price Americans pay for fetishising a poorly worded, out of date, piece of paper.

Many of the same Americans who have allowed this to happen are currently doing their utmost to protect the rights of a fetus.
It's hard to find the logic in that.

Easy, stopping people having abortions means there are more kids to be killed in schools. Simples.

gmabel830

Aug 12, 2017
The number of people in this country (I’m American) whose immediate reaction to this is “we need more police and teachers with guns in schools to deal with this” is beyond depressing. It is right up there with the “there’s nothing we can do here” crowd, despite the fact that we are the only country in the world where this happens regularly.

The best quote on this was (paraphrasing): “The gun debate is over after nothing was done following Sandy Hook. Americans choose guns over the lives of their children.”

Plenty of us are beyond ready for meaningful gun reform as one of several solutions needed to address this issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Second Amendment
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

[tweet]1529520424228425731[/tweet]

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Think I posted this somewhere else but I was in the US a few weeks back and went to a museum , got chatting to people at the front desk, both in their 60s and happened to be former firefighters who were volunteering.

Got into chat about a few things and they couldn’t believe our police were not armed fully and those that were had tasers.

Got into Dunblane, U.K. gun laws and when I said I can’t believe how bad gun crime is (and we had come from NY. which is currently experiencing some of the highest gun crime in recent history) their opinion was basically they would never not have a gun - because until they could be 100% sure ‘the bad guys’ didn’t have them, then they needed them.

Again this seemed like a perfectly normal retired couple of people, who had spent their life in the fire service - but totally warped opinions.

On this issue - the US is ****ed and will never be fixed

It's not a warped opinion. It's fear. I'm sure they would prefer a gun free country.

I'd prefer the UK to have no nuclear weapons. But all the while the bad guys have them I'm happy with the status quo.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
It's not a warped opinion. It's fear. I'm sure they would prefer a gun free country.

I'd prefer the UK to have no nuclear weapons. But all the while the bad guys have them I'm happy with the status quo.

It is illogical. How many individuals have stopped a mass shooting using their personal weapon vs police or security ? There is no need for the average American to have a gun. And an 18 year old should not be able to get a gun as easily as this scum bag appears to have been able to.

Re Nukes, agreed but they are under the control of the military and chain of command of our elected government. Not given access to any crazed individual who can walk into a store and get one

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
These lone shooters are always men. What I would like to see is Vice President Kamala Harris - a woman - reach out to all of the mothers out there and create momentum for significant gun law change. The Democrats need to get this done and she is the one best placed and with time and energy to drive it through.

Americans don’t tend to listen to women.

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
I don't actually agree with that any more. It was always perceived wisdom, but if what you're saying is right then how come kids don't do this in Canada, Czechia, Serbia, Estonia and Lithuania - where access to violent computer games and access to guns aren't significantly different from that in the USA? I really do think the biggest contributory factor to mass shootings in the USA is their culture.
I agree it’s a cultural USA problem.
9D566F3A-22BE-47B6-A356-C96CD98BFC5D.jpeg

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
I love walking past a school at breaktime and hearing such a happy noise. Kids charging about without a worry in the world. Screams of fear and guns being fired shot have no place there. Those poor children and helpless adults.

Things must change over there. Military grade shooters for civvies - what a ridiculous idea.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
QUOTE 'Err it was meant as a tragic irony fella!'

Fair enough, I am normally up for most one liners, edgy or not. Just this one got me. No worries.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Guns don't kill school children, doors do

[tweet]1529604286266560512[/tweet]

Wait what!

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
The NRA is having its annual meeting in Houston this weekend

It is anticipated that the Supreme Court will shortly overturn a law in New York which has heavily restricted who can carry a gun in public for 108 years.

So, business as usual

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It is anticipated that the Supreme Court will shortly overturn a law in New York which has heavily restricted who can carry a gun in public for 108 years.

So, business as usual
Were it not so serious you'd have to laugh at such a decision.

The Donald (and Mitch McConnell) is going to be shaping America for the next 20 years.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports